Faraday Cage: Exploring Potential

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, the potential between the ground/care and the incoming stroke of lightning is very very high, however the current initially flows through a small area through the air that has been ionized. Once the current gets to the car, it now has a much easier path to travel and doesn't need ionized air to conduct it.
Uku
Hoi!

I was wondering about the Faraday cage. When lightning strikes a car, the driver is not hurt since he/she is sitting in a Faraday cage. The charges cancel out and the net E field in the car is zero, though the potential inside the car should reach whatever is on the outside, meaning maybe hundreds of thousands of volts, which should kill the driver when eg. he grabs one door handle with one hand and the other handle with the other hand (potential difference)?.

Maybe I answered my question here, there is no potential difference, since it is all constant voltage?

Thanks,
Uku

Physics news on Phys.org
The charges cancel out and the net E field in the car is zero,

What do you mean? The potential between the ground/care and the incoming stroke of lightning is very very high, otherwise the lightning wouldn't be able to form. However, the current initially flows through a small area through the air that has been ionized. Once the current gets do your car, it now has a much easier path to travel and doesn't need ionized air to conduct it. The inside of your car is generally not completely bare metal, so the current would much rather travel around the frame and body than through the compartment and the passenger.

I believe that the current and voltage of your car is about equal throught the entire body/frame, similar to how parallel circuits split their current and have the same voltage. If so, then there shouldn't be a potential difference between door handles.

So it is Kirchoffs voltage law - "the directed sum of the electrical potential differences (voltage) around any closed circuit is zero." I guess.

Gauss bro, s'all about Gauss's Law.

With gauss you come to the conculsion that

[itex]V_{inside}=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}R}[/itex]

I find that that does not explain why you don't get electrocuted in the car. Though thinking of the car as a closed circuit does.

Kirchoff may also be a way to do this, but I found that Gauss was easier to understand. The key is Q inside, think of the lighting bolt as a ton of excess electrons. When it strikes the car, all of the excess electrons remain on the outside of the car. Then applying Gauss's law, since Qinside = 0 ==> Vinside = 0.

It does not work like that. Think of how potential is defined, via doing work on a charge to home it in from infinity. If the potential of a lightning bolt is 100000V, then by Gauss, the [itex]V_{inside}[/itex] is 100000V.

I'm sorry but I disagree. Treat the metal frame of the car as a Gaussian surface, a simpler example is the potential in a hollow conducting sphere. If you look at this example:

3.2.3 Electric Potential Inside a Spherical Thin Shell Conductor, from

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/courses/gladney/phys151/lectures/lecture_jan_31_2003.shtml

it's the same concept. But here is the short version:

"Inside the sphere [or car frame in our case], the electric field is zero since any Gaussian surface we draw which is completely contained inside the sphere would contain no net charge."

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
whoops, you are right. That's my bad.

1. What is a Faraday cage?

A Faraday cage is a metallic enclosure that is designed to block external electric fields and electromagnetic waves. It works by redistributing the electric charges on its surface, effectively cancelling out the electric field inside the cage.

2. How does a Faraday cage work?

A Faraday cage works by creating a barrier of electrically conducting material that surrounds and shields its contents from external electromagnetic fields. This prevents the electric charges inside the cage from being affected by the external field, thus protecting the contents from damage.

3. What is the purpose of a Faraday cage?

The main purpose of a Faraday cage is to protect sensitive electronic equipment from external electromagnetic interference. This is especially important in industries such as telecommunications, military, and healthcare where uninterrupted communication and functioning of equipment is crucial.

4. How is a Faraday cage constructed?

A Faraday cage is typically constructed using a mesh or solid sheet of conductive material, such as copper or aluminum, that is grounded to dissipate any electric charges that may accumulate on its surface. The cage can be in the form of a box, room, or even a small bag, depending on the size and purpose of the equipment to be protected.

5. What are the limitations of a Faraday cage?

While a Faraday cage can effectively block external electromagnetic fields, it is not 100% impenetrable. Very strong electric fields or extremely low frequency electromagnetic waves may still be able to penetrate through the cage. Additionally, any openings or gaps in the cage can also allow some level of electromagnetic interference. It is important to design and test a Faraday cage carefully to ensure its effectiveness.