Drawing a Jack in the Box w/ AutoCAD & MSCAD Questions

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Autocad
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods for drawing a Jack in the Box using AutoCAD, including using the offset command and the "@" command to specify length and angle. The conversation also mentions the difference between the student and professional versions of AutoCAD and their impact on printing.
tribdog
I have a bunch of points and I need to turn them into a drawing of a Jack in the Box. The guy who shot it in couldn't get quite a few points, but he did measure them with a tape and gave me the dimensions. I've been using the offset command to put in lengths he supplied, but that involves a lot of drawing and erasing. My question is is there a way to tell AutoCad how long of a line you want? Also I'm using MSCad not AutoCad but I think the commands are all the same.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, you could use the "@" comand.
For example, let's say you want to draw a line that is 10 units long at an angle of, say, 45 degrees. What you would do is specify the beginning point of the line, just like you would normaly, then you type on the comand box [tex]@10<45[/tex] (no spaces in between)
The @ symbol tells AutoCAD that the next instructions should be followed. the 10 is the length, the < signs tells AutoCAD in what angle the line should be drawn. This is handy when you need to draw specific lines at various angles with respect to something else than the grid.

If what you're doing is essentially drawing lines between co-ordinates, you could use the line command with absolute co-ordinates. If you know the co-ordinates of some of the points relative to others, you can use the line command with relative co-ordinates (line from x,y,z to @x1,y1,z1 draws a line from (x,y,z) to a new point that has distances of x1, y1 and z1 from the first point, along the 3 directions).

I suspect you problem is actually more tricky than this. WaR's suggestion is good for drawing lines of a certain length.

As the others have said, the '@' key tells autocad that to use coordinates relative to the last entry.

This is somewhat off topic. :uhh:

Is there a big difference, other than price, between the student and the regular(or professional I guess) version of autocad?

I am unaware of a big difference performance wise. The real difference comes when you plot (print) your work. You have "AutoCAD student version" printed out at every side of the paper.

Ok cool, thanks. Having "AutoCAD student version" shouldn't bother me too much :smile:

1. How do I start drawing a Jack in the Box with AutoCAD and MSCAD?

To start drawing a Jack in the Box, you will need to open both AutoCAD and MSCAD on your computer. Then, create a new project or drawing in MSCAD and import it into AutoCAD. This will allow you to use the features and tools of both programs to create your drawing.

2. What tools do I need to draw a Jack in the Box with AutoCAD and MSCAD?

To draw a Jack in the Box, you will need to use a combination of 2D and 3D tools in both AutoCAD and MSCAD. Some of the essential tools include the line tool, circle tool, extrude tool, and rotate tool. You may also need to use the snap and grid functions to ensure accurate measurements and alignments.

3. Can I add colors and textures to my Jack in the Box drawing?

Yes, both AutoCAD and MSCAD have features that allow you to add colors and textures to your drawing. In AutoCAD, you can use the "Hatch" tool to fill in areas with solid colors or patterns. In MSCAD, you can use the "Render" tool to add realistic textures and materials to your drawing.

4. How do I add movement to my Jack in the Box drawing?

To add movement to your Jack in the Box drawing, you can use the animation feature in MSCAD. This feature allows you to create a sequence of movements that can be played back to show the opening and closing of the Jack in the Box. You can also use the "Rotate" tool in AutoCAD to create a spinning effect for the handle of the Jack in the Box.

5. Can I export my Jack in the Box drawing to other programs?

Yes, you can export your Jack in the Box drawing from AutoCAD and MSCAD to other programs for further editing or use in presentations. Both programs allow you to export your drawing as a PDF, image file, or CAD file that can be opened in other software such as Adobe Illustrator or SketchUp.