Equilibrium with moments of forces

In summary, the physics professor gave us a 100+ page syllabus filled with example questions and solutions. I am practicing with them by doing them one after the other. This one question I'm having trouble with. Here it is:The first thing that pops into my mind is that the rod is 1 meter long, and according to the professor's solution point P must be 1.25 meters from the end of the rod. However, in the drawing, the point P is actually on the rod. It seems a bit unintuitive to me that the force would be acting outside of the rod?For the position of the resultant, my calculations are like this if x is the distance between points P and O:
LuigiAM
Hi everyone,

This is not really a homework question per se since it's not an assignment. Basically, our physics professor gave us a 100+ page syllabus filled with example questions and solutions and I am practicing with them by doing them one after the other. This one question I'm having trouble with. Here it is:

jeRPxm3.jpg

The first thing that pops into my mind is that the rod is 1 meter long, and according to the professor's solution point P must be 1.25 meters from the end of the rod. However, in the drawing, the point P is actually on the rod. It seems a bit unintuitive to me that the force would be acting outside of the rod?

For the position of the resultant, my calculations are like this if x is the distance between points P and O:

(10 kg)(x) - (15 kg)(0.5 - x) - (5 kg)(1 - x) = 0
(10 kg)(x) - 7.5 kg + (15 kg)(x) - (5 kg) + (5 kg)(x) = 0
x (10 kg + 15 kg + 5 kg) = 7.5 kg + 5 kg
x (30 kg) = 12.5 kg
x = 12.5 kg / 30 kg = 0.42

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I think the solution has all the forces as a negative when he's adding them up, but shouldn't the 10 kg force be a different sign than the 15 kg and the 5 kg one?

Thanks for any help

(Note: I ticked the box saying that I used the template, but I don't think it applies for this question since it's not really an assignment, it's just a question with the solution and I need help understanding the solution. I hope it's ok)

Attachments

• jeRPxm3.jpg
    jeRPxm3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 511
Physics news on Phys.org
LuigiAM said:
in the drawing, the point P is actually on the rod
It had to be drawn somewhere, and it might as well be within the rod. If it turns out to be beyond the rod that should be evident in the answer (negative x).
LuigiAM said:
unintuitive to me that the force would be acting outside of the rod
It was immediately apparent to me. As linear forces, the three applied forces have some cancellation, but as torques around the centre of the rod they all act clockwise. Thus the answer must be a relatively small force with a relatively large torque, making it further from the centre of the rod than the applied forces.
LuigiAM said:
(10 kg)(x) - (15 kg)(0.5 - x) - (5 kg)(1 - x)
Watch the signs. All of these have clockwise torque about P.

Likes LuigiAM
Oh yes I understand why they all have the same sign now it's because they're pushing the rotation in the same direction. Hah I feel dumb I should've realized this.

But the problem still seems strange to me. How can a force that is applied outside the rod have an effect on the rod? The solution talks about an equilibrium, which means that the force R will cancel the others and prevent the rotation. It just seems impossible for this to happen unless there is actual contact with the rod, no?

LuigiAM said:
How can a force that is applied outside the rod have an effect on the rod?
The "equivalent force" is a theoretical construct. How it could be applied in practice is unimportant, but e.g. you could extend the rod using a rigid attachment, or you could balance it by applying another combination of forces with equal and opposite equivalent force.

I see... so, if I understand correctly then the rod in the example actually is rotating? And R is just theoretical?

I think I got confused because of the word "equilibrium" in the solution, I thought it meant that the forces actually acting on the rod were keeping it in equilibrium, so I just couldn't wrap my mind around how it could be outside the rod

The wording is confusing.
If you look carefully at the diagram you will see that the force up from P is labelled -R. That is, they anticipated that the resultant force will be downward so added an upward force of the same magnitude to achieve equilibrium.
This was unnecessary. They could simply have said that since the resultant had no moment about P the sum of the applied torques about P is zero.

Likes LuigiAM

1. What is meant by "equilibrium with moments of forces"?

Equilibrium with moments of forces refers to a state where an object is not moving or rotating, and the sum of all external forces acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the object is balanced and will remain in its current position unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is equilibrium with moments of forces different from regular equilibrium?

Regular equilibrium only takes into account the sum of all external forces acting on an object, while equilibrium with moments of forces also considers the sum of all external moments (torques) acting on an object. This means that the object is not only balanced in terms of linear forces, but also in terms of rotational forces.

3. What is the importance of understanding equilibrium with moments of forces?

Understanding equilibrium with moments of forces is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It allows us to predict and analyze the stability and balance of structures and objects, and make necessary adjustments to ensure their safety and functionality.

4. How can we calculate the moments of forces in an object?

The moment of a force is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point (or point of rotation) to the line of action of the force. This can be done using the equation: M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance.

5. Can an object be in equilibrium with moments of forces if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be in equilibrium with moments of forces if it is moving. In order for an object to be in equilibrium with moments of forces, it must be stationary and not rotating. If an object is moving, it is likely that there are unbalanced forces acting on it, causing it to accelerate or change direction.