Can side impellers improve yoyo stability?

• Thread starter sadben
  • Start date
In summary, Bobbywhy suggests that adding impellers to the sides of a yoyo would increase its stability, but this would be a bad idea because it would also slow the yoyo down.
sadben
Well i know this sounds silly but I think that impellers on the sides of a yoyo would give greater stability than the current hollow ones.( Just to give you an idea of the type of yoyo's I'm talking about: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/162/Juggernaut ). I haven't started a cad model as I don't really have time to waste on a fruitless effort considering how close midterms are.

Basically the idea is that the impeller would suck air in from the side face of the yoyo and blow out from the side. This is just a hypothesis and I am just a first year student in mech.eng so sorry for the ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Please elabourate: What instability are you referring to? Your idea may be innovative and useful.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

You'll see how silly it is once you do gyroscopic motion in advanced dynamics.

Yoyo's tend to move around with slight movements from the wrist, usually a swinging motion

sadben, unlike the poster #3, I am not so quick to dismiss your hypothesis as silly. You may have a new, unique, and innovative idea. I would hope that when you find the time that you experiment with your hypothesis. Any true searcher would at least try. Who knows, maybe there is something else the impeller(s) could do? And maybe not. At least record the idea in your notebook. Years from now you may discover some cool way to use it.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

A yoyo gets its stability from gyroscopic stabilization through angular momentum; the faster it spins the more stable it is. In addition, the longer it stays spinning at a fast rate the better, so you want its air friction to be as low as possible to achieve this.

Adding "impellers" to the sides of it would increase air friction, slowing the yoyo more quickly. This would be a bad thing in Yoyo design, and hence a bad idea unless you plan to utilize the net force from the "impellers" to achieve yoyo tricks not possible with conventional designs (say for example levitation or mid-air transversing, probably not possible).

Last edited:
I'm thinking the the OP was talking about bringing in air axially and ejecting it radially, like a centrifugal blower or pump.

OP, it certainly could be made but it wouldn't increase the stability of the yo-yo. If anything it would slow it down and make a cool whirring noise.

Speed and mass are the only ways I know of to fight precession and drift.

As far as Vadar's post, well...no comment.

Jupiter6 said:
As far as Vadar's post, well...no comment.

I wasn't calling the idea silly, was just giving him a hint as to what to look up to determine it himself. I was mainly pointing out what Mech_Engineer stated, but didn't want to spoil it.

1. What are side impellers on a yoyo?

Side impellers on a yoyo are small, adjustable discs or weights that are attached to the sides of the yoyo. They are designed to increase the rotational momentum and stability of the yoyo during play.

2. How do side impellers affect the performance of a yoyo?

The addition of side impellers can greatly improve the performance of a yoyo. They increase the spin time, stability, and overall control of the yoyo, making it easier to perform tricks and maneuvers.

3. Can I add side impellers to any yoyo?

In most cases, yes. Side impellers are designed to be attached to the sides of the yoyo, so as long as the yoyo has a flat surface on the sides, it can accommodate side impellers. However, it is always best to check with the manufacturer or do some research before adding side impellers to your yoyo.

4. How do I adjust the side impellers on my yoyo?

Most side impellers have an adjustable screw or knob that allows you to add or remove weight from the sides of the yoyo. You can also experiment with different placements of the side impellers to find the best balance for your play style.

5. Do side impellers make a yoyo easier to control?

Yes, side impellers can make a yoyo easier to control by increasing its stability and spin time. However, it may take some practice and adjustment to find the right placement and weight for your specific yoyo and play style.