How Fast Do Mechanical Forces Travel Through Different Mediums?

In summary, the speed of gravity is unknown and may be the speed of light. If gravity has a speed, this would cause problems in the model of the universe now because it would imply that gravity is transmitted by something that has mass: the Graviton.
jay
Hai friends..
We are getting enough data on speed of gravity.But what about
the speed of other mechanical forces.
When I am pulling one side of a long rop how much time will
it take to reach the othe side .I don't know, may be the speed of wave.
I think if I pulls an inextensible light weight rope
i can move it towards me without a time waste.Then that makes problems.If I tied one side of the rop to a massive object like sun and started pulling indeed i can pull it without any difficulty atleast for 8 minutes.If I am pulling with half the speed of light
it will be get extended to millions of km.So what is the solution to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you work with ideal models - inextensible cords, perfectly elastic billiard balls and all - you pretty much assume the "speed of force" is infinite. But in the real world force can't be transmitted any faster than the atomic structures can adapt to it. If you push on a metal rod, the force is transmitted to the other end by the adaptations of the rod's electronic structures. And than can't go any faster than the speed of sound in that metal.

In relativity there cannot be any rigid objects (or "inextensible rope") for exactly the reasons you give.

Isn't it C?

I thought a photon exerts a force, so wouldn't it be C?

Anyway, I just spotted a post about data on the speed of gravity, which is something I'm interested in because of its relevance to string theory models, and I'm new to these boards, so this might be a naive observation: If gravity is an artifact of "string" mechanics, then it is "inextensible rope" and the speed of force is infinite; however, if gravity has a speed, such as light seems to, this would cause serious problems in the model of the universe now because it would imply that gravity is transmitted by something that has mass: e.g., the Graviton.

There is one good argument for the concept that gravity is rigid, and that's by examining quark pairs whereby you can separate the pairs, affect one, and produce instantaneous effect on its counterpart -- even faster than C. The concept exists in physics. It has also been theorized that this effect can be produced on a macro level by utilizing the Kazimir effect to "pair" large superconducting plates in vacuum and then physically separating the plates, thereby producing a working model for the trekkie "subspace communicator."

1. What is the speed of force?

The speed of force refers to the rate at which a force is transmitted from one object to another. It is determined by the type of force and the medium through which it travels.

2. How is the speed of force measured?

The speed of force is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). It can also be measured in other units such as feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) depending on the context.

3. Does the speed of force vary for different types of forces?

Yes, the speed of force can vary for different types of forces. For example, the speed of electromagnetic force (such as light) is approximately 299,792,458 m/s in a vacuum, while the speed of sound waves (a type of mechanical force) can vary depending on the medium it travels through.

4. Can the speed of force be faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any form of energy or information can travel. Therefore, the speed of force cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. How does understanding the speed of force help in solving physics problems?

Understanding the speed of force can help in solving physics problems by allowing us to calculate the time it takes for a force to act on an object, the distance it will travel, and the resulting acceleration. It also helps in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and the interactions between different forces.