Voltage Regulator Project: Hysterisis, 9V, 15 Ohm Load

In summary: Comparator circuits without hysteresis typically exhibit oscillations when the input voltage changes, due to the resetting of the comparator.
LostEngKid
hey guys, I've got to make a voltage regulator for a uni project. it has to use hysterisis and produce 9v out from a 16Vrms AC powerpack over a 15 ohm load. It also needs overload protection, I've drawn up the attached circuit, i think it will work and filled in some of the values i know but I am stuck for the others, any help would be great.

circuit.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not qualified to analyze a circuit like that, but what about using a simple 9Vdc regulator after cap C6?

I think that's cheating!

LostEngKid said:
hey guys, I've got to make a voltage regulator for a uni project. it has to use hysterisis and produce 9v out from a 16Vrms AC powerpack over a 15 ohm load. It also needs overload protection, I've drawn up the attached circuit, i think it will work and filled in some of the values i know but I am stuck for the others, any help would be great.

View attachment 15072

Couple comments:

-- Usually I would put the current sensing resistor in the + feed, right before Q1. Having it in the negative return complicates the grounding of this non-isolated buck converter.

-- I'm not sure about the snubber on the flywheel diode. I've never used one, and generally haven't seen them used in bucks. It will lower your efficiency at least. Why do you have it there?

-- It seems like you should consider putting a bit of hysteresis in your comparator circuit. I'm not generally comfortable with comparator circuits without at least some postitive feedback hysteresis.

Redbelly98 said:
I'm not qualified to analyze a circuit like that, but what about using a simple 9Vdc regulator after cap C6?

I get the feeling that the assignment is to design a switching regulator, rather than a linear regulator.

berkeman said:
Couple comments:

-- Also, is there a reason that you are using a Darlington for Q1? That will impact your efficiency pretty significantly.

Quiz Question: Why?

Redbelly98 said:
... what about using a simple 9Vdc regulator after cap C6?

mgb_phys said:
I think that's cheating!

berkeman said:
I get the feeling that the assignment is to design a switching regulator, rather than a linear regulator.

Whoops, my bad!

berkeman said:
Couple comments:

-- It seems like you should consider putting a bit of hysteresis in your comparator circuit. I'm not generally comfortable with comparator circuits without at least some postitive feedback hysteresis.

Another Quiz Question for the original poster (OP) -- Why do I say this about comparator hysteresis?

1. What is a voltage regulator?

A voltage regulator is an electronic component that maintains a constant output voltage, regardless of changes in input voltage or load resistance. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to ensure that sensitive components receive a steady and reliable power supply.

2. What is hysterisis in a voltage regulator?

Hysterisis in a voltage regulator refers to the phenomenon where the output voltage does not immediately change in response to a change in input voltage. This is due to the feedback mechanism in the regulator, which allows it to maintain a stable output despite fluctuations in the input.

3. Why is the 9V voltage level significant in this project?

The 9V voltage level is significant because it is a common voltage used in electronic devices such as batteries and power supplies. This project aims to design a voltage regulator that can maintain a steady 9V output, making it useful for powering various electronic components.

4. How does the 15 Ohm load affect the voltage regulator?

The 15 Ohm load refers to the resistance placed on the output of the voltage regulator. This load affects the regulator by drawing a certain amount of current from the output, which in turn affects the output voltage. The voltage regulator must be able to adjust its output to compensate for this load and maintain a constant voltage.

5. What are the practical applications of a voltage regulator project?

A voltage regulator project has various practical applications, such as in power supplies for electronic devices, in battery charging circuits, and in voltage stabilization for electronic components. It is also commonly used in renewable energy systems, automotive electronics, and industrial equipment to ensure a stable power supply.