Program that converts f77 to f90/95?

• Thread starter NoobixCube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Program
In summary, the conversation discusses the compatibility between FORTRAN versions f77 and f90/95 and whether a program exists to convert f77 code to f90/95. It is mentioned that most f77 code is also legal in f90 and that f90 adds new features. It is clarified that f90 code cannot be compiled in f77, but f77 code can be compiled in f90. The conversation ends with a statement about time only moving forward.
NoobixCube
Hi all,
I was wondering whether there is a prgramme that converts f77 to f90/95? Because I am about to get source code from a supervisor, and I know f90 but he's written it in f77 :(

Technology news on Phys.org

Most (all ?) f77 code is also legal f90. F90 just adds new features.

You don't say. So if I were to modify my supervisor's code, hopefully I shouldn't run into any errors regarding the differing versions of FORTRAN?

You can compile f77 in f90, you can't compile f90 with f77. Time only goes forward.

mgb_phys said:
Time only goes forward.
very profound, thank you for your insight dear sir

1. What is the purpose of a program that converts f77 to f90/95?

The purpose of a program that converts f77 to f90/95 is to update legacy Fortran 77 code to the newer Fortran 90/95 standards. This conversion allows for more modern features and better compatibility with newer systems.

2. How does the conversion process work?

The conversion process involves analyzing the Fortran 77 code and identifying any syntax or language features that are not supported in Fortran 90/95. These are then replaced with equivalent code in the newer standard. This can also involve restructuring the code to adhere to modern programming practices.

3. Are there any limitations to the conversion process?

While the conversion process is generally straightforward, there may be some limitations depending on the complexity of the original Fortran 77 code. Certain language features and constructs may not have direct equivalents in Fortran 90/95, requiring manual adjustments or workarounds.

4. Can the converted code still be compiled and run on older systems?

Yes, the converted code should still be able to be compiled and run on older systems that support Fortran 77. However, it is recommended to test the converted code thoroughly to ensure compatibility before deployment.

5. Are there any benefits to converting to Fortran 90/95?

Yes, there are several benefits to converting to Fortran 90/95. These include improved performance, better memory management, and access to modern language features such as object-oriented programming and array operations. Additionally, converting to a newer standard can make it easier to maintain and update the code in the future.