Why do people cling to the idea of an afterlife?

• Thread starter Vast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary: I don't know what comes after physical death but I am willing to explore that possibility. Most people here know there is no soul or spirit that exists after death, and no amount of so called scientific study that proves otherwise, be it hypnosis revealing past lives, accounts of near death experiences, is going to convince anyone here. Fact of the matter is we know it doesn’t exist...
Vast
It seems to me that constructing a belief that your spirit or soul will exist after you have physically died has been used to make one feel better or even help deal with the inevitable death we’re all going to face.

But why should a delusion or lie help give you any more solace than accepting death as being the last moment you will ever exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Death is beautiful isn't it?

Vast said:
It seems to me that constructing a belief that your spirit or soul will exist after you have physically died has been used to make one feel better or even help deal with the inevitable death we’re all going to face.

But why should a delusion or lie help give you any more solace than accepting death as being the last moment you will ever exist?

Whether it has been used to feel better about death is a different issue than if it is true or not. Some feel it is possible because of certain experiences they've had, and so is not a "lie" to them.

You can't handle the truth!

Les Sleeth said:
Whether it has been used to feel better about death is a different issue than if it is true or not. Some feel it is possible because of certain experiences they've had, and so is not a "lie" to them.

Yes I’m aware that if you believe in a delusion it then ceases to become a lie whether you tell it to yourself or tell it to others. (Think George Costanza; “it’s not a lie if you believe it”)

So let’s just assume the concept of life after death has always been a delusion, a mechanism in dealing with death? Surely we know better in this day and age? That once the brain ceases to exist so does any form of consciousness? And science does!

I too have had experiences, almost died in my sleep, and as a result had the usual out of body experience. But I don’t jump to the conclusion that what I experienced was proof that the mind can exist after the body has died.

Most people here know there is no soul or spirit that exists after death, and no amount of so called scientific study that proves otherwise, be it hypnosis revealing past lives, accounts of near death experiences, is going to convince anyone here. Fact of the matter is we know it doesn’t exist…

So does believing in this delusion help deal with the acceptance of death? Should I believe it or let others believe it?

THANOS said:
Death is beautiful isn't it?

:confused:

no one knows what happens when you die.those who claim to know, do not.(speculation).

Vast said:
Yes I’m aware that if you believe in a delusion it then ceases to become a lie whether you tell it to yourself or tell it to others. (Think George Costanza; “it’s not a lie if you believe it”)

I wasn't talking about mere belief.

Vast said:
So let’s just assume the concept of life after death has always been a delusion, a mechanism in dealing with death? Surely we know better in this day and age? That once the brain ceases to exist so does any form of consciousness? And science does!

Science does not know what happens to consciousness after death.

Vast said:
I too have had experiences, almost died in my sleep, and as a result had the usual out of body experience. But I don’t jump to the conclusion that what I experienced was proof that the mind can exist after the body has died.

I agree jumping to the conclusion there's life after death based on limited experiences isn't wise. I don't know of any experience that would "prove" life after death. However . . . (see next comment)

Vast said:
Most people here know there is no soul or spirit that exists after death, and no amount of so called scientific study that proves otherwise, be it hypnosis revealing past lives, accounts of near death experiences, is going to convince anyone here. Fact of the matter is we know it doesn’t exist…

You better study up before saying such things. There is absolutely no proof of anything you've said there, and I doubt anyone knows for certain about life after death.

Last edited:
To understand death I think you must understand life. If your life has no meaning and the chances are your death has no meaning. If you life has meaning then perhaps your death has meaning also.

That is what I find so beautiful about life and death. There are two answers that make most question whether they have meaning or not. The logical answer is the meaningless one and the spiritual one has meaning. But you can actually logically come up with an answer between them both.

Death is a mystery to me. But I do believe that physically I shall continue on being a part of whatever or where ever my body lies to rott, burned or contained who really know what crazy people would do to your body. Whether or not a spirit lives on is yet to be known. One thing that makes me question a spirit is that we humans are not as evolved as we hope we are. We do not have the sight to see all. Technology may help but unlikly anytime soon. Thats why i don't see to believe only because our eyes are not perfect and light can be manipulated. I see in my dreams but that doesn't make it real.
I guess it is a long way of saying I don't know, but I felt I should give a little reason to my knowledge of not knowing.
Life has reason, otherwise it wouldn't exist.

im a christian, but i won't delve too far. for the meantime though, consider this: If my beliefs happen to be correct,, then the best that can happen is that i will go to heaven when i die. If not, then the worse that can happen is that i will decompose inside of the Earth. I an atheist beliefs are correct, then the best that can happen is that they decompose in the earth. The worse is that they won't go to heaven. So, even though there should be a deeper reasoning for believing than simple deduction of logic, nonetheless, simple logic dictates that your best option is to be a believer.

now, I am not going to argue too much, and i will agree that "scientifically" no proof exists or ever will exist to confirm the belief of life after death. However, this is where faith plays an important part in one's beliefs. now, before you denounce the notion of faith, remember that just as 4 can be described as 2 + 2 or 6 - 2, different methods of explanation can often yield the same results, and current science may not be the accurate explanation for events in nature. Now, we mutually know that this is farfetched, but there exists the possibility anyway, putting your belief in the scientific law one of faith since the percentage of its accuracy can never reach 100.

Jim Beam said:
im a christian, but i won't delve too far. for the meantime though, consider this: If my beliefs happen to be correct,, then the best that can happen is that i will go to heaven when i die. If not, then the worse that can happen is that i will decompose inside of the Earth. I an atheist beliefs are correct, then the best that can happen is that they decompose in the earth. The worse is that they won't go to heaven. So, even though there should be a deeper reasoning for believing than simple deduction of logic, nonetheless, simple logic dictates that your best option is to be a believer.

yes of course... i will go strap on the cross and be better off...
i'll leave all you poor buddhists, atheists and nature god people to burn in hell... cause that's what you will do... burn in hell... for not believing...
what a nice god, really... I'm just thrilled with joy of being one of his followers... some of you others migth call that kind of leader a merciless "dictator", but I'm better off than you, so i laugh in your face! haha!

i love religion... it's amazing how a method of control can still capture the minds of people, even several thousand years after it's creation...

Last edited:
Mass delusion?

See this is what I also find to be a little misleading. Those that do believe there is life after death say that if you don’t believe you don’t walk through the pearly gates of heaven. In other words you Must believe that when you die your soul or spirit will exist, or otherwise you simply won’t exist.

Sounds way to familiar to the believers in god will walk through those gates as mentioned in the bible. But let me ask those that do believe in life after death, if your soul or spirit does continue on, what’s the difference if you believe or not? Is there some secret code I’m unaware of that states in order to exist after I’m dead I must believe? lol, come on! It makes no difference, and further more I know for certain there is no after life.

But religions aside, I think there’s a deeper reason for why we believe in an after life, if you care to listen…
Religions for one thing began around 50,000 years ago, and in regards to my first post which was essentially to do with why such a belief has been constructed can probably be seen in other species as well. Elephants seem to show some type of grieving behavior when another elephant dies, so do monkeys and any other species with a relatively large brain…

I can’t understand why most people find death to be so mysterious. It isn’t! if your brain dies, so does your consciousness. It’s really that simple.

The Egyptians and other civilization of that era built tombs to take their wealth with them in the after life. If this is true or not I’m not sure, but they were almost certain of an after life.
Although the notion of an after life seems to come in all different shapes and colors, it can surely be seen as a mass delusion?

Vast said:

perhaps to ease the pain of anticipating death is why those choose to believe this, or the really believe it...perhaps those who fear death are not living to their fullest now and somehow subconciously realize it...

Kerrie said:
perhaps to ease the pain of anticipating death is why those choose to believe this, or the really believe it...perhaps those who fear death are not living to their fullest now and somehow subconciously realize it...

So let me see if I’ve got this right.

If you fear death, you subconsciously realize life is precious because you know your only here for a limited amount of time. Therefore wouldn’t that be a good thing? Otherwise if you had no fear of dying and you believed you will be rewarded with virgins in paradise after a terrorist attack, you might go and do all sorts of crazy ****.

It just seems to me believing in life after death creates problems, even if it’s used to ease emotional pain…

vast, i was just suggesting a theory...maybe those who fear death the most are the ones who are "waiting" for life to happen (and are afraid it won't before they pass away)...does that make better sense? also, no one knows 100% what happens to the energy (or "spirit") once we die...it could be possible that the energy it takes for us to be alive transfers elsewhere-and not necessarily in the form of human life.

Kerrie said:
vast, i was just suggesting a theory...maybe those who fear death the most are the ones who are "waiting" for life to happen (and are afraid it won't before they pass away)...does that make better sense? also, no one knows 100% what happens to the energy (or "spirit") once we die...it could be possible that the energy it takes for us to be alive transfers elsewhere-and not necessarily in the form of human life.

When I was a naïve young boy, I was actually looking forward to death because I found it fascinating that people could somehow exist after they had died. You could say I no longer look forward to dying, but at the same time I don’t really fear it.

I understand what your saying kerrie, only that I don’t agree with those fearing death are waiting for anything. If your afraid of not living life to the fullest before your die, then in a sense you value life all the more…

Vast said:
If your afraid of not living life to the fullest before your die, then in a sense you value life all the more…

this sounds good in theory, however this is not human nature tends to work...besides, these were not my words, so perhaps you did misunderstand me :smile:...what i said is those who don't realize that they are not living life to the fullest could be more prone to fearing death because they are waiting for their life to "begin" or to finally take meaning for them, and are afraid it won't "happen" before then...thus they may believe in the afterworld to give them "hope" to what their life is all about...without this topic getting religious, many people are taught that you have to do good deeds here on Earth in order to get to "heaven" or wherever you want to call it...i say that your chance to live that life (so to speak) is now in the present so that when the day comes to depart from life as we know it, there are no regrets of not enjoying existence in the here and now...

As almost always

Matter of opinion like so many other things to believe or not either way we all face one fact we cannot avoid

"Death awaits us all, it's how you arive to death that counts"

"Death stares us all in the face all one can do is stare back and laugh"

Last edited:
balkan said:
yes of course... i will go strap on the cross and be better off...
i'll leave all you poor buddhists, atheists and nature god people to burn in hell... cause that's what you will do... burn in hell... for not believing...
what a nice god, really... I'm just thrilled with joy of being one of his followers... some of you others migth call that kind of leader a merciless "dictator", but I'm better off than you, so i laugh in your face! haha!

i love religion... it's amazing how a method of control can still capture the minds of people, even several thousand years after it's creation...

I LOVE YOU :rofl:

Finaly someone else who see that "god" and "santa" are alike

"Be good and receive or be bad and do not"

Vast said:

Suppose, just for the sake of argument, that death is not the end, that there really is a soul which survives the death of your body. Suppose, again for the sake of argument, that some people have, through some unknown means, become aware of that fact. My question is: what would it take to convince you that the idea of an afterlife is not a delusion?

(I am not trying to say that the afterlife exists, just trying to show that even if it does exist, many people would still think of it as a delusional idea)

Wolf said:
I LOVE YOU :rofl:

Finaly someone else who see that "god" and "santa" are alike

"Be good and receive or be bad and do not"

I think he's talking about a very specific god not just "god". He even mentioned the nature god people as being victims of this religion as well. To many times people criticize the ideas around the word god because they associate it with their own preconceived notions about what someone means by the word. God doesn't necessarily mean the god you learned to hate when you were forced to go to Sunday Bible School.

Vast said:

you don't believe, do you? you have your own perspective and beliefs and everyone will respect that. if you want to change your perspectives by collecting proofs and opinions, i think i have a faster way, tell me what do you want to hear to do that, and i will say it to you.

Vast said:

The problem is that there is room in modern physics for this: namely quantum correlations. As long as we have no clue what is the materialistic "implementation" of consciousness (is classical complexity enough ? Is quantum theory somehow involved in it), and as long as the "measurement problem" hasn't been solved in quantum theory, there *might* be a connection.
Mind you, I'm not a new age guy who mixes up theoretical ideas from physics with cheap mysticism. But at the current stage of science, we simply cannot know. So the claim that science clearly indicates that consciousness stops existing when the bodily functions stop functioning is wrong. (the claim that science indicates the opposite is just as wrong, btw).

Of course, what is sure is that the "soul", "heaven", "hell", "nirvana" etc... of revealed religions is bull****. Those revealed religions have claimed too many scientifically disproved things in the past to have any authority of truth left.

cheers,
Patrick.

um

Fliption said:
I think he's talking about a very specific god not just "god". He even mentioned the nature god people as being victims of this religion as well. To many times people criticize the ideas around the word god because they associate it with their own preconceived notions about what someone means by the word. God doesn't necessarily mean the god you learned to hate when you were forced to go to Sunday Bible School.

he mentioned HELL and if you don't follow him you burn in hell... that sounds like the christian god to me but i supose that does not mater almost all gods are the same and all religion have one thing in common a god, an omni powerful being that created us all and should be fallowed and worshiped blind again almost all there is few that difer

Fliption said:

Well said!

-Ray.

A life after death helps people deal with the loss of loved ones. The idea that there is something better waiting for them is more conforting than the idea that death is the end. It would be difficult to prove that there is no after life since once you are dead you don't really come back. The idea that a persons actions in this life can be rewarded in the next may help people stay on a good path. This idea also puts people on a destructive path.

Vast said:

Then if we did scientifically or otherwise overcome death in the end, whoever is left then would be the luckiest being on the planet! It would also imply that those who died permanently may have been causally and relationally sacrificed to enliven or give rise to the Lukiest last!

Last edited:
Circularism by the vehicle of reincarnation seems to ensure equality that we always crave and fight for. Right?

Last edited:
The question of an after life is entirely irrelevant.

Death, and the "thereafter", cannot really be known outside of those that have experienced it.
Unfortunately, they're not well enough to share their insight.

Some find solace in the concept of souls and an afterlife through "psychics", ghosts, religion, faith, ignorance, and so on.
Likewise a common argument on the part of the opposition is that conciousness exists solely in the brain, once it's blood supply halts, the mind "dies" with it.

The real truth is that it's an equivocal situation.

If an afterlife is existant, then the only one's to tell us are those that have already passed, and "visions" are easy to equate to hallucinations and delusions.
On the flipside, if someone dies, and their conscious mind dies along with them, the idea of a soul/afterlife would have utterly no relevance because, well, they're dead.

The truth of the matter only comes at that given moment. Speculation is fodder for my psuedo-intellectualism. :smile:

or how about this concept...
-"That is not dead which can eternal lie; and with strange aeons even death may die."- H.P. Lovecraft

Last edited:
The fact that I talk about after life does not necessarily imply that I believe in it. I was merely imagining the value of such possibility, if the notion of an 'intelligent design' were itself viable. Anyway, either way it would be spooky for things to come into existence and be permanently destroyed or be going around in circles by the vehicle of reincarnation unless some form of progress is 'intended'. Or unless if any of these two strange processes is perfection itself. Some sense just have to be made of it!

Last edited:

What is the purpose of lying about death?

There are many reasons why people may lie about death, including protecting themselves or others from the truth, avoiding difficult conversations or emotions, or trying to maintain control over a situation.

Why do people sometimes lie about the cause of death?

Lying about the cause of death may be done to protect the reputation or legacy of the deceased, to avoid legal repercussions, or to hide the true nature of a person's death. It can also be a coping mechanism for those who are struggling to accept the loss of a loved one.

Do people always know they are lying about death?

In some cases, people may knowingly fabricate stories or withhold information about a death. However, there are also cases where individuals may genuinely believe in the false information they are sharing, especially if they are trying to cope with their own grief.

How can society combat the spread of false information about death?

One way to combat the spread of false information about death is to encourage open and honest conversations about death and grief. It is also important for individuals to fact-check information they receive and not spread rumors or unverified information.

What impact can lying about death have on individuals and society?

Lying about death can have a negative impact on individuals and society, as it can perpetuate false beliefs and misinformation, hinder the grieving process, and damage trust and relationships. It is important to strive for honesty and transparency when it comes to discussing death and its impact.