Inductance of VR crank sensor

In summary: It means that either something is saturated or you've got a nice square wave with sloped shoulders on your 'scope. Or anything in between.If you're exciting the thing with a sinewave, then phi is a sine, and di/dt is a cosine (or vice versa), and with the two out of phase by 90 degrees, you're getting a triangle wave as an answer. Am I right?That's why i used a triangle wave excitation. The resulting voltage wave is a square wave. If there are any shoulders, then your phi vs current is not a linear thing. Like maybe the thing is saturating. I suspect that
CheyenneXia
I helped my colleagues simulate inductance of vr crank sensor in Maxwell but my simulation result is quite different compared to the test one.

Our sensor is quite simple, just a piece of permenant magnet, a piece of flux concentrator made of normal steel, and one copper coil hooked outside of the flux concentrator. It is that simple. My colleague used LCR meter to test the inductance and it was around 300mH. However, my result was around 400mH.

It is LCR HiTESTER 3522-50: http://www.hioki.com/product/352250/index.html

One thing I cannot understand is I do not know how LCR meter measures the inductance. What I learned at school is that inductance always varies with the current. With coil terminals connected to LCR meter, I do not know what current is there.

The internal resistance of coil is 1000ohms. I do not have any test experience. Can you give me a hint?

Also, my colleague told me if the sensor is covered with an AL case, the inductance goes lower, around 200mH. Do you know the reason?

Many thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go back to your very basic physics. What's inductance?

Inductance is "Flux linkages per ampere", or L = n x Phi / i

Your inductance meter applies some sort of current
which will induce eddy current in the iron, and in the aluminum,
which by Lenz's law cancels out some of the flux.

In other words, your inductance meter mistakenly thinks it's applying the only current. It applies an exciting current allright, but the resulting eddy currents also cause flux. Their flux is in opposition. Lenz: Induced current opposes the change in flux.

I once observed voltage across an inductance with an o'scope while measuring it with an inductance meter. The meter must have had a computer inside for it applied a variety of waveforms to the device under test, none of which made any sense to me.

If you figure out how your inductance meter works please enlighten me.

My best insight to inductance was gained by applying a triangle wave current and observing the resulting voltage wave.
A perfect inductor would deliver square wave voltage (di/dt constant on each half of triangle wave).
Deviation from that square wave is the effect of your eddy currents and will be dramatic with applied frequency. The shoulders round off as eddy currents settle out with each slope reversal.
My automobile tire iron made a decent inductor core only up to around eight hertz. Faster than that it became resistive. Above ~600 hz it was magnetically not there any more.

Have some fun with your setup while the curiosity is fresh! Post some 'scope shots.

old jim

Last edited:
The reason why I ased here is because I have no clue how LCR meter excites the inductor.

Thank you.

jim hardy said:
Go back to your very basic physics. What's inductance?

Inductance is "Flux linkages per ampere", or L = n x Phi / i

Your inductance meter applies some sort of current
which will induce eddy current in the iron, and in the aluminum,
which by Lenz's law cancels out some of the flux.

In other words, your inductance meter mistakenly thinks it's applying the only current. It applies an exciting current allright, but the resulting eddy currents also cause flux. Their flux is in opposition. Lenz: Induced current opposes the change in flux.

I once observed voltage across an inductance with an o'scope while measuring it with an inductance meter. The meter must have had a computer inside for it applied a variety of waveforms to the device under test, none of which made any sense to me.

If you figure out how your inductance meter works please enlighten me.

My best insight to inductance was gained by applying a triangle wave current and observing the resulting voltage wave.
A perfect inductor would deliver square wave voltage (di/dt constant on each half of triangle wave).
Deviation from that square wave is the effect of your eddy currents and will be dramatic with applied frequency. The shoulders round off as eddy currents settle out with each slope reversal.
My automobile tire iron made a decent inductor core only up to around eight hertz. Faster than that it became resistive. Above ~600 hz it was magnetically not there any more.

Have some fun with your setup while the curiosity is fresh! Post some 'scope shots.

old jim

The reason why I ased here is because I have no clue how LCR meter excites the inductor.

Thank you.

well from looking at the manual which is available from that link you posted,

it's not quite clear .

They say it can apply voltage or current excitation over a wide frequency range that is set by front panel control
but they didn't say anything about waveform

so were it mine i'd take an o'scope and see .
If it applies a nice sinewave, which sounds logical, they probably assumed that we'd assume that.

One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

As i mentioned - my tester was quite cryptic.

old jim

Jim you are absolutely right. I went to the lab with my colleague and found out that it was tested at 1000Hz and I used magnetostatic solver!

Sadly the result doesn't change that much from 1000Hz to 10Hz or 5Hz. And we cannot find the cable to connect the LCR meter to scope. I think the current magnitude also affects the final result.

Thank you.

jim hardy said:
well from looking at the manual which is available from that link you posted,

it's not quite clear .

They say it can apply voltage or current excitation over a wide frequency range that is set by front panel control
but they didn't say anything about waveform

so were it mine i'd take an o'scope and see .
If it applies a nice sinewave, which sounds logical, they probably assumed that we'd assume that.

One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions.

As i mentioned - my tester was quite cryptic.

old jim

Sadly the result doesn't change that much from 1000Hz to 10Hz or 5Hz.

I'd say that's a good thing .

Perhaps they have a core that's immune to eddy currents. I don't know much about ceramic magnet materials, are they similar to ferrite cores in that regard?

Inductance and magnetism is interesting and it's fun to experiment. I hope you get a 'scope working and explore properties of some devices. And some core materials.

Likely that LCR meter of yours is intelligent.
I am often outsmarted by test equipment. That's why i like to know how it's testing a device.

old jim

1. What is inductance and how does it relate to VR crank sensors?

Inductance is the property of a conductor that describes its ability to generate an electromotive force (EMF) in response to a changing magnetic field. In VR crank sensors, inductance is used to measure the position and speed of the crankshaft.

2. How is inductance measured in VR crank sensors?

Inductance is measured using an inductive sensor, which consists of a coil and a magnet. As the crankshaft rotates, it passes through the coil, generating a changing magnetic field and inducing an EMF. This EMF is then measured and used to determine the inductance of the sensor.

3. What factors can affect the inductance of VR crank sensors?

The inductance of VR crank sensors can be affected by several factors, including the number of windings in the coil, the strength of the magnet, the speed of the crankshaft, and the ambient temperature. These factors can impact the accuracy and reliability of the sensor's readings.

4. How does the inductance of VR crank sensors impact engine performance?

The inductance of VR crank sensors is crucial for the proper functioning of the engine. It determines the timing of fuel injection and ignition, which can affect the engine's power, fuel efficiency, and emissions. A faulty or incorrect inductance reading can lead to engine misfires and other performance issues.

5. Can the inductance of VR crank sensors be adjusted or calibrated?

In most cases, the inductance of VR crank sensors cannot be adjusted or calibrated. However, it can be checked and compared to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure that it is within the acceptable range. If the inductance is found to be outside of the specified range, the sensor may need to be replaced.