Michealson Morely and the Aether

• Thread starter MrGamma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aether
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential implications of the discovery that some sub-atomic particles may travel faster than light on the interpretation of the Michelson-Morley experiment. The possibility of Special Relativity being only applicable to electromagnetic measurements and the validity of the Aether concept are also brought up. However, it is noted that this supposed discovery has not been confirmed and should not be taken as fact.
MrGamma
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson–Morley_experiment

With the discovery that some sub-atomic particles travel faster than light, does that change the way that this experiments interpretation might be regarded?

Perhaps Special Relativity is for electromagnetic measurements and instruments, while General Relativity is compatible with everything?

I am asking because I don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
MrGamma said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelson–Morley_experiment

With the discovery that some sub-atomic particles travel faster than light, does that change the way that this experiments interpretation might be regarded?

Perhaps Special Relativity is for electromagnetic measurements and instruments, while General Relativity is compatible with everything?

There has been no such discovery. One team claims they have seen it in an experiment, but this has not been confirmed. Even the team that made this claim is asking others to repeat the experiment.

Yes... Sorry bad choice of words.

If it is confirmed, and that is why asked this in skepticism and debunking to avoid upsetting people.

Would Special Relativity still be entirely valid if is was applied to Electromagnetic energy only? I think would be valid.

That is why I am wondering if perhaps this Aether concept is more valid if perhaps it does not use electromagnetic energy as a means for measurement, but perhaps sub-atomic particles sit inside an Aether?

This is also a physics question and should not have been posted in the S&D forum.

Zz.

1. What is the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The Michelson-Morley experiment was a scientific experiment conducted in the late 19th century to test the existence of the aether, a hypothetical substance thought to be the medium through which light traveled.

2. What were the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment?

The results of the Michelson-Morley experiment showed that the speed of light was constant in all directions, regardless of the motion of the Earth. This contradicted the prevailing theory of the time, which stated that the speed of light would vary depending on the direction of travel.

3. Why is the Michelson-Morley experiment important?

The Michelson-Morley experiment is important because it provided evidence against the existence of the aether and helped pave the way for Albert Einstein's theory of relativity. It also revolutionized the way scientists thought about the nature of light and the laws of physics.

4. How did the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment impact the scientific community?

The results of the Michelson-Morley experiment sparked intense debate and ultimately led to a shift in scientific thinking. It challenged long-held beliefs about the nature of light and the structure of the universe, and paved the way for new theories and discoveries.

5. Has the Michelson-Morley experiment been replicated?

Yes, the Michelson-Morley experiment has been replicated numerous times by other scientists using more advanced technology. These replications have consistently confirmed the original results, further solidifying our understanding of the speed of light and the absence of the aether.