Calculating Car Velocity and Pendulum Forces in a Turn: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the car has a 20 meter radius turn and the pendulum inside the car shifts 37 degrees. The car has a centripetal acceleration due to the tension in the string.
Werg22
A car takes a turn, radius = 20 m. Meanwhile a pendulum inside the car shifts 37 degree. Find the velocity of the car and find all the forces acting on the pendulum.

How to solve this? It dosen't mention from what position the pendulum starts...

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume the pendulum is a bob on the end of a string.
The bob is moving in a circle of radius r = 20m.

What are the forces acting on the bob ?

I forgot to mention that the length of the string is 0.10 m... I'm affraid you got me lost...

You don't actually need the length of the string to answer your problem about the car's velocity.

There are only two forces acting on the bob, the weight of the bob itself, and the tension in the string.
The bob is supported vertically and the bob is moving in a circle so must have a centripetal acceleration. How does the tension in the string provide both (vertical) support for the bob and centripetal acceleration/force on the bob ?

Edit: the bob isn't supported vertically. That implies the string is straight up and down. The string is only vertical if the bob is moving in a straight line at constant velocity. Since it is moving in a circle, its inertia will tend to make it swing outwards from the vertical and away from the centre of rotation. BTW, this is a problem on centripetal force/acceleration.

Last edited:
Actually I think in relationship with a passenger, I think only gravity and the tension of the string acts on the pendulum. This is like comparing the Earth and a person. Well thinking of I think the question it pretty awkward. Maybe the real meaning is that the car shifts 37 degree and I only need to find the period to determine to velocity of the car. Does this seems right or not?

Do you know how to add two Force vectors? That's what you have ...

Why do you think we might want to add them?

I amended my earlier post. Please see Edit.

What is the problem with a car and pendulum?

The problem with a car and pendulum is that the pendulum is attached to the car and swings back and forth as the car moves. This can cause issues with the car's stability and handling, and can also affect the accuracy of the pendulum's measurements.

How does the car's motion affect the pendulum's measurement?

The car's motion can cause the pendulum to swing in an irregular pattern, leading to inaccurate measurements. This is because the car's movements can create vibrations and changes in acceleration that can affect the pendulum's swing.

Can the problem with a car and pendulum be fixed?

Yes, the problem can be reduced or eliminated by making adjustments to the pendulum's attachment and the car's suspension system. These adjustments can help minimize the effects of the car's motion on the pendulum's measurements.

What types of experiments involve a car and pendulum?

Experiments involving a car and pendulum are often related to studying motion, acceleration, and forces. They can also be used to demonstrate concepts such as resonance and harmonic motion.

What are some potential solutions to the problem with a car and pendulum?

In addition to adjusting the pendulum's attachment and the car's suspension system, other solutions may include using a more stable car or a different type of pendulum. Additionally, software or technology can be used to filter out the effects of the car's motion on the pendulum's measurements.