How does the Gravitational Wave Rocket work?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a paper about the concept of a gravitational wave rocket that uses asymmetric gravitational radiation to accelerate without generating any felt acceleration. The participants are trying to understand the specifics of this concept and its implications.
CJames
Here's the paper I'm talking about

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/9702/9702005v1.pdf

It's times like this I wish I'd gone to class...

I've been trying to find a method of propulsion that falls within the realms of accepted physics but is convenient in terms of *storytelling*. I want my characters to reach star systems within subjective weeks, which can't be done if you accelerate them at 1G (or anything remotely close to that).

The basic concept of the gravitational wave rocket is that it radiates gravitational waves asymmetrically, losing mass as it does so, causing it to accelerate. I would assume this would accelerate the rocket without generating any FELT acceleration, although I can't tell from the paper. I'm having a very difficult time understanding what is being discussed in this paper. At some points it says there is a vibration, at other times they say a rotation. I can't see what they are talking about. Even the meanings of most of the variables is completely beyond me. Can anybody help clarify this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is something I'm not clear on at all. Do you "feel" your own gravitational radiation reaction or is it just a perturbation of your geodesic that you don't feel?

-Richard

Exactly. And furthermore, what sort of movement is taking place to generate this asymmetric gravitational radiation? I find the idea of using waves of gravity as reaction mass a very interesting concept. But I'm having trouble envisioning what is really happening. It can't just be two orbiting objects, can it?

Related to How does the Gravitational Wave Rocket work?

1. What is a gravitational wave rocket?

A gravitational wave rocket is a hypothetical spacecraft that uses the energy from gravitational waves to travel through space. It would use the curving of space-time caused by gravitational waves to propel itself forward, much like how a sailboat uses wind to move.

2. How does a gravitational wave rocket work?

A gravitational wave rocket would use a system of mirrors and lasers to detect and measure gravitational waves. The energy from these waves would then be converted into thrust, propelling the spacecraft forward.

3. What are the potential benefits of a gravitational wave rocket?

A gravitational wave rocket could potentially allow for much faster space travel, as it would not rely on traditional propellants and could travel at the speed of light. It could also open up opportunities for exploring distant regions of the universe and studying different types of gravitational waves.

4. Are there any challenges in developing a gravitational wave rocket?

One of the main challenges in developing a gravitational wave rocket is the technology needed to detect and measure gravitational waves accurately. Additionally, the amount of energy harnessed from gravitational waves may not be enough to support long-distance space travel.

5. Is a gravitational wave rocket currently being built or tested?

At the moment, there are no gravitational wave rockets being built or tested. However, there have been some proposals and theoretical studies on the concept, and research on gravitational waves is ongoing.