Transient conductive heat flow using finite element method

In summary, the conversation discusses a project that uses two-dimensional finite element analysis to investigate thermal dissipation around circular and square concrete piles in soil. A transient thermal loading cycle is applied to the center of the pile over a 7-day test period, resulting in a horizontal temperature gradient in the surrounding soil. The speaker is seeking advice on how to approximate the heat flux or heat flux density from the temperature gradient, taking into consideration the varying magnitude of the applied load and the nonlinearity of the temperature gradient. The use of the basic heat equation and the question of whether it applies to steady state or transient conditions are also mentioned.
rgh107
I'm looking at project investigating thermal dissiplation around circular and square concrete piles, resting in a homogeneous material (soil) using two-dimensional finite element analysis.

I'm applying a transient thermal loading cycle to the centre of the concrete pile over a 7-day test period. At the end of the test cycle, I am able to plot a horizontal temperature gradient in the soil surrounding the pile. However, I was wondering if there is a means by which I can approximate the heat flux/heat flux density from the temperature graident, given the thermal conductivity, heat capacity and material density?

The main problem that I have is that magnitude of the applied load is varied between 12-25[tex]^{o}[/tex]C over the course of the test cycle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. . .

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm surprised your finite element software doesn't do this, but isn't the heat flux just equal to
(thermal conductivity) x (temperature gradient)
?

Or is there convection involved? That would complicate the equation.

My initial thought was that I could simply use the basic heat equation by taking the average gradient. The problem is that the temperature gradient is nonlinear.

Furthermore, does the equation not only relate to steady state conditions?

Anyway, I am dealing purely with conduction if that helps.

I've attached a typical temperature gradient from my FE program.

Attachments

• tempgrad.jpg
    tempgrad.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 477
rgh107 said:
Furthermore, does the equation not only relate to steady state conditions?

No, it applies for transient conditions too.

1. What is the finite element method?

The finite element method is a numerical technique used to solve complex engineering and scientific problems by dividing a continuous system into smaller, simpler subdomains called finite elements. It is commonly used to model and simulate heat transfer, fluid flow, and stress analysis problems.

2. How is the finite element method used in transient conductive heat flow?

In the context of transient conductive heat flow, the finite element method is used to discretize the heat transfer equation into a system of algebraic equations that can be solved using a computer. This allows for the prediction of temperature distribution and heat transfer rates over time for a given system.

3. What is the importance of transient conductive heat flow analysis?

Transient conductive heat flow analysis is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of heat transfer in time-dependent systems. It is particularly useful for designing and optimizing thermal systems, such as in the aerospace, automotive, and energy industries.

4. What are the advantages of using the finite element method in transient conductive heat flow analysis?

The finite element method offers several advantages in transient conductive heat flow analysis, including its ability to handle complex geometries, variable material properties, and boundary conditions. It also allows for efficient and accurate solutions to be obtained for both steady-state and time-dependent problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the finite element method in transient conductive heat flow analysis?

While the finite element method is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It requires significant computational resources and may not be suitable for problems with large temperature gradients. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the mesh used, which can be time-consuming to generate for complex systems.