Crackpot Section: A Solution for Misguided Souls

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter out of whack
  • Start date
In summary, this article suggests that the speed of light may be increasing over time, and that this may be due to a change in the value of c. It fails to provide any evidence for this claim, and is instead based on a Google search. While
out of whack
I came across something odd on the world wide tubes today: an "observation" that measurements of the speed of light have shown an increasing speed over the years during which it has been measured (presumably before time measurement was linked to this speed), suggesting that the value of c may be slowly changing in the long term. Note that I am not a physicist but I occasionally read the odd paper. This one seemed long so I googled for confirmation of its validity before choosing to read it or not. I didn't see anything but I assumed someone at PF might have heard of it. My search of the site failed to locate anything so I asked the question in the relativity section and was served a warning for posting about overly speculative theories. The thread was then deleted.

I later thought of something that could save time and frustration. When this happens, lock the thread and move it to a crackpot section instead of deleting it. This way the next misguided soul who searches PF for the same information will find it in there and will know that it isn't worth pursuing. Moderators will be spared some exasperation and wasted time. Misguided souls will be saved as well. o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
I fear that if we have a crackpot section, containing locked threads or not, this will just encourage more crackpots to come to PF: something we all want to avoid!

cristo said:
I fear that if we have a crackpot section, containing locked threads or not, this will just encourage more crackpots to come to PF: something we all want to avoid!

I agree. We don't want Google hits for crackpot concepts giving links to the PF.

I agree as well. In fact we have spent years running off crackpots from the early days when PF was much looser. We don't want to invite them back. Also, we don't have the resources to debunk every crackpot theory on the web.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, good point about avoidance. But a robot.txt file can inform Google and the other main engines not to index the section in question so that only a search from within PF would locate these. Greg may know other tricks.

If attracting crackpots wasn't a problem, would this have any merit at all or cause different problems?

out of whack said:
Yes, good point about avoidance. But a robot.txt file can inform Google and the other main engines not to index the section in question so that only a search from within PF would locate these. Greg may know other tricks.

If attracting crackpots wasn't a problem, would this have any merit at all or cause different problems?

We already have a tool for sorting between crackpot and legitimate papers - the journals. There is no reason to duplicate the effort here. And again, we don't have the resources.

If a paper isn't published in an appropriate, mainstream, peer-reviewed science journal, then forget about it. If there is any credibility to the proposal, it will eventually get published. Readers can use this approach to judge for themselves without ever making a post.

By "appropriate", I mean "applicable". We have seen some examples of crackpot science [not engineering] getting published in obscure engineering journals. Likewise, a "Theory of Everything" published in a social sciences journal would be a flag as well.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Crackpot Section" and why is it important?

The "Crackpot Section" is a term used to describe a section in scientific journals or conferences that is dedicated to publishing or presenting unconventional or controversial theories or ideas. It is important because it allows these ideas to be discussed and evaluated by the scientific community, while also preventing them from being mixed in with established scientific research.

2. How does the "Crackpot Section" benefit the scientific community?

The "Crackpot Section" provides a platform for unconventional ideas to be shared and evaluated by the scientific community. This allows for open discussion and critique of these ideas, which can lead to the discovery of new and groundbreaking theories. It also helps to maintain the integrity of established scientific research by keeping it separate from unproven or unsubstantiated ideas.

3. Is the "Crackpot Section" peer-reviewed?

Yes, the "Crackpot Section" is typically peer-reviewed, just like any other section in a scientific journal or conference. This means that the ideas presented in this section are evaluated by experts in the field before being published or presented.

4. Can anyone submit their ideas to the "Crackpot Section"?

Yes, anyone can submit their ideas to the "Crackpot Section", but they must still go through the peer-review process and meet the criteria set by the journal or conference. It is important to note that the "Crackpot Section" is not a platform for pseudoscience or conspiracy theories, and all submissions must have some basis in scientific evidence or reasoning.

5. Are ideas presented in the "Crackpot Section" considered valid or accepted by the scientific community?

The "Crackpot Section" is meant to provide a space for unconventional ideas to be discussed and evaluated, but it does not necessarily mean that these ideas are accepted or considered valid by the scientific community. The ideas must still meet the standards of scientific rigor and be supported by evidence before they can be accepted by the wider scientific community.