Deleted Thread on Speed of Gravity in Relativity Forum

• Thread starter TurtleMeister
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a missing thread in the Special & General Relativity forum, possibly deleted due to references to a crackpot website. The thread had helpful posts from members such as DrGreg and DaleSpam, but the OP could not remember the title or author of the thread. Suggestions were made to lock the thread instead of deleting it, and after some confusion and searching, the thread was eventually found. The conversation ended with apologies and appreciation for the quality of PF.
TurtleMeister
I don't remember the title of the tread, nor do I remember the member who started it, but it was in the Special & General Relativity forum and the subject involved the speed of gravity. I suspect the thread was deleted because of many references and links to a website that would probably be considered crackpot by PF. The thread helped me a lot and gave me some things to think about. There were some really good posts by DrGrag, DaleSpam, and others. They explained things in a way that even a layman such as myself could understand and grasp. It's a shame that there time and effort was deleted. And it's a shame that many other readers such as myself will not be able to benefit from it.

Suggestion: Why not just lock the thread and put a notice at the beginning of the thread stating what links and references are not recommended by PF? There may have been some other reason for deletion, but I think I read every post and I cannot imagine what it would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look again. That thread wasn't deleted.

I still can't find it. If you're referring to "The Speed of Gravity" thread, then that's not the one I'm talking about.

TurtleMeister said:
I still can't find it. If you're referring to "The Speed of Gravity" thread, then that's not the one I'm talking about.
OK. But keep looking. I don't see anything that's been deleted recently in that forum. (But blatant crackpottery is routinely deleted.)

Calrid said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=486841

This thread?

Just locked if its that one.

No, that's not the one. I just checked the google cache and couldn't find it there either. But the cache is from March 31, so that may be before the thread was posted.

TurtleMeister said:
No, that's not the one. I just checked the google cache and couldn't find it there either. But the cache is from March 31, so that may be before the thread was posted.

You might like to try a search in his name then as I don't think that's the first time he's explored this issue? Can't help I'm afraid that's the only one I have on my subscribed list.

Although I don't remember the member who started the tread, I'm pretty sure it was not the same member who started "The Speed of Gravity". I guess I'll just wait and see if anyone else notices that the thread is missing.

TurtleMeister said:

There does not appear to be a deleted thread in the relativity forum since 31st March. Perhaps you're misremembering.

cristo said:
There does not appear to be a deleted thread in the relativity forum since 31st March. Perhaps you're misremembering.

Damn I was hoping to rant about blatant censorship ending in an incoherent mess of accusations about the Illuminati controlling our information channels etc.

Gotta say if it was there I didn't see it and I been posting far too much recently in that area, seriously just finished an assignment and I got screw all to do for at least a week.

How long ago was this thread active? How long ago did DaleSpam post in it?

Evo said:
How long ago was this thread active? How long ago did DaleSpam post in it?

I was reading it this morning. And it was near in the top half of the first page.

I have no idea which thread you are talking about, nor do I really care since it it not an area of interest to me.

What I do notice is how many PF Mentors have taken a serious interest in your query, all with offers of help of some sort.

That shows what a high quality site PF really is -full marks PF!

:approve:

Studiot said:
I have no idea which thread you are talking about, nor do I really care since it it not an area of interest to me.

What I do notice is how many PF Mentors have taken a serious interest in your query, all with offers of help of some sort.

That shows what a high quality site PF really is -full marks PF!

:approve:

Yes, I agree. I've never received so much attention. Thank you PF Mentors.

DrGreg and DaleSpam should remember the thread. The op was trying to devise an experiment to determine the speed of gravity. But DrGreg, DaleSpam and others finally convinced him of where he was going wrong with this line of thinking.

TurtleMeister said:

DrGreg and DaleSpam should remember the thread. The op was trying to devise an experiment to determine the speed of gravity. But DrGreg, DaleSpam and others finally convinced him of where he was going wrong with this line of thinking.

It is possible that it is in a different area of the forum and touched on some areas that were not entirely inapt for it?

Just a thought?

I found it! It's on the second page. I can't believe it got pushed back so quickly. I'm really sorry for all the trouble I've caused.

TurtleMeister said:
I found it! It's on the second page. I can't believe it got pushed back so quickly. I'm really sorry for all the trouble I've caused.
No problem, glad you found it!

No, it's not the same thread. It looked like it at first and has some of the same posters, but it's not the same thread. And it really should not be on the second page anyway. So, I'm going to give this a break for now and get away from the computer. Maybe I'm just going crazy. :) Thanks to everyone who helped.

Turtle

TurtleMeister said:
No, it's not the same thread. It looked like it at first and has some of the same posters, but it's not the same thread. And it really should not be on the second page anyway. So, I'm going to give this a break for now and get away from the computer. Maybe I'm just going crazy. :) Thanks to everyone who helped.

Turtle

:smile:

TurtleMeister said:

I don't recall any recent thread which matches your description. I recall something along those lines many, many months ago (maybe a year or more?). Are you sure you were looking at page 1 in the forum?

You might try googling for [noparse]site:www.physicsforums.com "speed of gravity" experiment DrGreg[/noparse] and see if any of those are what you are looking for.

TurtleMeister said:
Maybe I'm just going crazy. :)
There are different kinds of crazy.
There's the good kind of crazy, like Einstein, and there's the bad kind of crazy, like the average supervillian.

Then there's the other kind of crazy. "Look, there's a banana walking across the hall!"

Which one are you?

FtlIsAwesome said:
There are different kinds of crazy.
There's the good kind of crazy, like Einstein, and there's the bad kind of crazy, like the average supervillian.

Then there's the other kind of crazy. "Look, there's a banana walking across the hall!"

Which one are you?

Well, I hope I'm the good kind of crazy. But if it requires an intellect like Einstein's, then I'm definitely ruled out of that one. Maybe my old age has finally caught up with me.

Is it possible for a mentor to delete a thread without any of the other mentors knowing anything about it?

TurtleMeister said:
Is it possible for a mentor to delete a thread without any of the other mentors knowing anything about it?
I'm not a mentor, but as far as l know, deleted threads aren't really deleted, they are just hidden from public view and all the mentors can still see them. (Mentors correct me if I'm wrong.)

DrGreg said:
I'm not a mentor, but as far as l know, deleted threads aren't really deleted, they are just hidden from public view and all the mentors can still see them. (Mentors correct me if I'm wrong.)
That's correct, as policy, we never permanently delete a thread unless it is spam.

The default delete option is "soft" delete, which just hides the thread from public view, a mentor would have to deliberately select a permanent deletion, which I have never heard of even if it's a crackpot thread. We prefer to keep a record of crackpot posts.

With respect, TM, perhaps you read it on another website.

Do you visit other forums?

I finally found it. It's on page 42 from May 19 2010. It's a poll thread titled "gravity speed vs light speed experiment", and it was started by 1bobwhite.

Now, I never browse threads that old. Is it possible that there was a necro post which bumped it up to the front page, and then a mentor deleted that post which moved it back to it's previous position?

TurtleMeister said:
I finally found it. It's on page 42 from May 19 2010. It's a poll thread titled "gravity speed vs light speed experiment", and it was started by 1bobwhite.

Now, I never browse threads that old. Is it possible that there was a necro post which bumped it up to the front page, and then a mentor deleted that post which moved it back to it's previous position?

Yea, there was a crackpot post in that thread that was deleted this morning, which would explain why it jumped up the forums for a while.

Mystery solved! Wow.

Thanks to everyone who has helped and offered advice. This is not the first time I've been confused by a necro post. But this one has certainly caused me the most trouble.

1. What is the speed of gravity?

The speed of gravity is the rate at which gravitational forces travel through space. In the theory of general relativity, it is believed to be the same as the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. Why was the thread on speed of gravity deleted?

The thread on speed of gravity may have been deleted due to violation of forum rules or lack of relevance to the topic of the forum. It is also possible that the thread was deleted by the forum moderators for maintenance purposes.

3. How does the speed of gravity relate to the theory of relativity?

In the theory of general relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. The speed of gravity is believed to be the same as the speed of light, which is a fundamental constant in the theory of relativity.

4. Is there any evidence for the speed of gravity being the same as the speed of light?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for the speed of gravity being the same as the speed of light. However, many experiments and observations, such as the bending of light around massive objects, support the idea that the speed of gravity is indeed equal to the speed of light.

5. What are some potential implications of the speed of gravity being the same as the speed of light?

If the speed of gravity is indeed equal to the speed of light, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would mean that gravity can also travel through space-time at the speed of light, which could have implications for the behavior of massive objects and the structure of the universe.