Summation convention and index placement

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the summation convention in GR and whether repeated upper or lower indices can be summed. It is determined that while there is no issue with summing over repeated indices, it does not result in a useful object. The consensus is that it is not necessary in GR and any instances of it may be due to mistakes or different conventions in earlier documents.
ramparts
Hey all,

The way I was taught GR, the summation convention applies on terms where an index is repeated strictly with one covariant, one contravariant. But reading through a translation of Einstein's GR foundations paper just now it looks like the index placement doesn't matter (I've seen it this way on Wikipedia too! :P). I've never actually seen a term like, say, a_\mu b_\mu where you have repeated upper indices or repeated lower indices, so as yet this hasn't been an issue, but I'm curious what the consensus on the convention is, and whether it actually matters (are there terms/can there be terms in GR with repeated upper/lower indices?). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a tensor Aabcd, then Aabad is a tensor, but Aaacd is not. There's nothing wrong with summing over two upper indices or two lower indices, but you just won't get a very useful object when you do that.

Thanks! That's what I figured, it seemed like the heavens were conspiring to keep summed indices in separate positions. So is there really never a time in GR where something like:

TaUa

or

TaUa

comes up and needs to be summed?

I don't think so.

I think in the early days when the summation convention had just been invented, the "upstairs downstairs" convention for contravariant/covariant hadn't been fully established, so you may see some early documents that have the index in the wrong place according to the modern convention, or where the summation could occur with indexes in the same position. In the case of Wikipedia, it's probably just a mistake.

1. What is the summation convention in mathematics?

The summation convention is a mathematical notation used to simplify expressions involving summation of terms. It involves using an index to represent a repeated variable and summing over all possible values of that index.

2. How is the index placement determined in summation convention?

In summation convention, the index placement is determined by the position of the index in the expression. The index is placed below the summation symbol (∑) and the expression to be summed is written to the right of the symbol.

3. What is the purpose of using the summation convention in mathematics?

The purpose of using the summation convention is to simplify and condense mathematical expressions involving summation, making them easier to read and interpret. It also helps to reduce the amount of writing needed, making mathematical calculations more efficient.

4. Can the index placement be changed in summation convention?

Yes, the index placement can be changed in summation convention. In some cases, it may be more convenient to place the index above the summation symbol or to the left of the expression to be summed. However, the general convention is to place the index below the summation symbol and to the right of the expression.

5. What are some examples of expressions that use summation convention?

Expressions that use summation convention include the calculation of the mean, variance, and standard deviation in statistics, as well as the calculation of series and sequences in calculus. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering for vector and tensor calculations.