Cheapest trailer in the world?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trailer
In summary, the conversation revolves around a challenge to create the cheapest open-top, but sided cargo trailer using new parts readily available from local suppliers. The trailer should be capable of hauling 800lbs and be built by a hobbyist woodworker or welder. One idea proposed is to use a single piece of heavy duty expanded steel for the sides and floor, with an axle or two individual wheels attached. However, finding the cost of such metal is proving difficult. Another suggestion is to use 1/2" plywood instead, as expanded steel may require additional bracing. The conversation ends with a request for any other ideas or solutions.
KingNothing
My friends and I are having a little challenge. We want to come up with the cheapest open-top, but sided cargo trailer possible. It must use completely new parts freely available from local steel/wood/plastic suppliers and be capable of hauling around 800lbs. Labor must be something that your typical hobbyist woodworker or welder could do.

My idea is something like this: have the sides and floor of the trailer made of one piece of heavy duty expanded steel, bent as appropriate. Attach an axle or two individual wheels on the sides. However, I'm having a lot of trouble finding the cost of such metal.

I'm really looking for expanded steel where the steel strands are about 0.5" This should make it strong enough to hold its own structure and take quite a load. It would be awesome if I could find that rubberized stuff you're likely to find in a factory or construction site.

Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Expanded steel is somewhat pricey, and I don't think that it would be suitable for such a use unless braced with angle iron or similar material. I'd be more inclined to go with 1/2" plywood.

I would recommend conducting thorough research on the availability and cost of materials before proceeding with your idea. Expanded steel may be a cheaper option, but it may not be strong enough to withstand the weight of 800lbs. It is important to consider the strength and durability of the materials used in order to ensure the safety of the trailer and its contents. Additionally, I would suggest exploring alternative materials such as aluminum or composite materials, which may be more lightweight and cost-effective. It may also be beneficial to consult with a professional engineer to ensure that the design and construction of the trailer meets safety standards.

What is the cheapest trailer in the world?

The cheapest trailer in the world is the "Scamp" trailer, which starts at a base price of $11,000.

What is the average cost of a trailer?

The average cost of a trailer can vary greatly depending on size, features, and brand. However, the average cost of a basic, no-frills trailer is around $15,000.

Are there any hidden costs when purchasing the cheapest trailer in the world?

While the base price of the cheapest trailer in the world may seem affordable, it is important to consider additional costs such as taxes, registration fees, and any necessary upgrades or modifications.

What is the lifespan of the cheapest trailer in the world?

The lifespan of a trailer can vary depending on maintenance and usage. However, the average lifespan of a well-maintained trailer is around 20 years.

What are the benefits of purchasing the cheapest trailer in the world?

Purchasing the cheapest trailer in the world can be a cost-effective option for those on a budget. It also allows for the freedom and flexibility to travel and explore new places without the high costs of traditional accommodations.