The trivial constant force acceleration math

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativistic body acceleration and its dependence on velocity. It also mentions the mistake of using F=ma in relativity and suggests using F=dp/dt instead. The conversation ends by mentioning the non-trivial solution for the velocity in relation to time.
valjok
I accelerate a body by a constant force:
[tex]a = F/m = F \frac{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}{m_0} [/tex]

I simplify it by fixing F = m0 = c = 1:
[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = {\sqrt{1-v^2} [/tex]

This diff equation formalizes the dependence of relativistic body acceleration on its velocity. To get the speed at time t, I solve it rearranging into

[tex] \int{ \frac{dv}{\sqrt{1-v^2}} = t [/tex]

, which is a handbook integral: t = arcsin v, or v = sin t. This 1) satisfies the equation and, as the Einstein's correction of Newton implies, 2) slows the initially constant acceleration down to zero as v approaches 1 and 3) precludes super-light speeds. However, sine reaches v=1 in finite amount of time while texts tell that we should approach the speed of light asymptotically in t = ∞. Oscillations is not what I expected. Where is the mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When a relativistic particle is accelerated, both the velocity and dynamic (not rest) mass changes. We usually use the momentum p= mv multiplied by a constant, c, to give
pc = mvc = βmc2
So for a constant force,

d(pc)/dt = d(βmc2)/dt = const = d(βγm0c2)/dt = m0c2 d(βγ)/dt, where m0c2 is the rest mass in energy units.

It is sometimes easier to use the relation

E2 = (pc)2 + (m0c2)2
where E is total energy, and E-m0c2 is kinetic energy.

α β γ δ ε ζ η θ ι κ λ μ ν ξ ο π ρ ς σ τ υ φ χ ψ ω

valjok said:
Where is the mistake?
The mistake is that F = ma is not valid in relativity. But F = dp/dt is. See post #16 in "A dark part of special relativity(at least for me)" for details.

Thanks, Greg. I understand the mistake now and that Bob tells me how to derive the a. The v(t) solution now turns to out to be non-trivial.

Last edited:

1. What is a trivial constant force acceleration?

A trivial constant force acceleration refers to a situation where an object experiences a constant force that causes it to accelerate at a steady rate. This means that the object's velocity will change by the same amount in each unit of time.

2. How do you calculate the value of the trivial constant force acceleration?

The value of the trivial constant force acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = F/m, where "a" is the acceleration, "F" is the force acting on the object, and "m" is the mass of the object. This equation is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion.

3. What is the significance of the trivial constant force acceleration in physics?

The trivial constant force acceleration is important in physics because it helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. It also allows us to make predictions about the motion of objects under constant forces.

4. Can the value of the trivial constant force acceleration change?

No, the value of the trivial constant force acceleration will remain constant as long as the force acting on the object remains constant. If the force changes, then the acceleration will also change accordingly.

5. How is the trivial constant force acceleration different from variable acceleration?

The trivial constant force acceleration is different from variable acceleration because it does not change over time. Variable acceleration occurs when the force acting on an object changes, causing the acceleration to also change. In contrast, the trivial constant force acceleration remains the same throughout the entire motion of the object.