What happens to the Neutrons and Protons in a Tokamak reactor.

In summary, the magnetic field confines the electrons because of the repulsion of the electrons in the plasma and the electrons traveling in the magnetic current. The first wall must absorb the neutrons.
Pattonias
As I understand it, the magnetic field confines the electrons because of the repulsion of the electrons in the plasma and the electrons traveling in the magnetic current.
My question is what keeps the protons and neutrons released in the plasma from passing through the magnetic field in a tokamak reactor?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neutrons pass right out of the plasma into the surrounding structure. The first wall must absorb the neutrons.

The protons are charged, so like electrons they travel around/along the magnetic field lines, but their cyclotron radius is different.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyroradius

As an exercise, take the electrons and protons to have the same temperature (kinetic energy, but different velocity due to mass difference) and assuming a 10T field, calculate the cyclotron radii of the electrons and protons. And actually, if one is using D+T, then its deuterons and tritons, as well as products like p, He-3, He-4 and n.

The plasma excludes the magnetic field, to the magnetic gradient sends the charged particles back into the plasma.

The plasma likes to stay neutral, i.e. balance of + an - charges, so an electron leaving not only experiences the local magnetic field, but also Coulomb attraction to the plasma, which would have a net + charge if the electron were to leave.

One problem for magnetic confinement is the leakage of neutrals, which are atoms formed from the 'recombination' of nuclei and electrons.

Can additional fuel be added once the fusion process is started? Or can only one reaction occur at a time?

That's the idea. Ideally they'd be pumping in fuel as fast as it's consumed.

But the have to get to steady-state beyond breakeven. That's hopefully what ITER will demonstrate.

I appreciate your input, it's making this a little clearer to me. I'm actually hoping to work on the ITER project once I finish my degree. I still have a lot to learn before I'll be able to contribute. The practical problem you suggested still has me doing some research. I appreciate your comments though.

Last edited:

1. What is a Tokamak reactor?

A Tokamak reactor is a device used to create and control nuclear fusion reactions. It consists of a toroidal (doughnut-shaped) chamber surrounded by powerful magnets, which creates a magnetic field that contains and controls the superheated plasma needed for fusion to occur.

2. How does a Tokamak reactor work?

In a Tokamak reactor, deuterium and tritium (isotopes of hydrogen) are injected into the chamber and heated to extremely high temperatures (over 100 million degrees Celsius). This causes the atoms to fuse, releasing a tremendous amount of energy in the form of heat and light. The magnetic field inside the chamber ensures that the plasma stays contained and doesn't touch the walls of the reactor.

3. What happens to the neutrons and protons in a Tokamak reactor?

During a fusion reaction, neutrons and protons combine to form a heavier nucleus. This releases energy and also produces more neutrons, which can continue the fusion process. The neutrons and protons remain in the plasma until they are extracted to be used for energy production or to sustain the reaction.

4. Are there any risks associated with the neutrons and protons in a Tokamak reactor?

The neutrons and protons in a Tokamak reactor are not radioactive and do not pose a risk to the environment or to human health. However, they can cause damage to the reactor's walls and other components, which need to be regularly replaced.

5. What are the advantages of using a Tokamak reactor for fusion?

Tokamak reactors offer several advantages for fusion energy production. They are relatively compact and can be built using existing technology. They also have the potential to produce large amounts of clean, safe, and sustainable energy without producing greenhouse gas emissions or long-lived radioactive waste.