Pulsed Tokamak Fusion: Net Energy Gain Possibility?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Zpinch, which uses a strong current to confine plasma. The possibility of using a tokamak reactor with a pulsed square wave current is also mentioned, as well as the potential for net energy gain and the use of induced current heating in tokamak plasmas. The stability and design challenges of a tokamak with a z-pinch mode are also mentioned.
artis
Zpinch works by running a strong current through the plasma which sets up a field that tends to confine the plasma, so if the current is switched on rapidly the resulting temperature increase and B field increase tends to compress the plasma channel rapidly, at least this is how I understand the concept in it's basic form.

I tried googling but did not find any related materials, has anyone ever tried to run a tokamak reactor in such a way?
In theory instead of using direct electrodes like in the Z pinch the tokamak creates a plasma current as a secondary from a drive primary transformer, so what would happen if this primary current was a pulsed square wave?
Assuming of course that the plasma stays in the plasma state between pulses.On a more general note, is it possible in theory to have a net energy gain from a pulsed fusion device , even such that the plasma cools off between each pulse?
the confinement time is very small compared to a tokamak burn but on the other hand since confinement is not necessary one could use much higher pressures of DT gas which should result in a higher fusion rate.
I guess the simple requirement is to have enough energy out from each pulse to account for energy spent on each pulse + net energy gain.

Engineering news on Phys.org
From a structural point of view, a tokamak with just a z-pinch mode is very hard to design because of the difference in magnetic pressure from the inner surface to the outer surface. I think other magnetic fields are introduced to balance this "expanding" effect. If I recall correctly a "pure" z-pinch works well in confining a plasma in a cylindrical geometry but as soon as you "bend" the field lines (like in a tokamak) it does not confine the plasma anymore.

From a stability point of view, the z-pinch mode is unstable under small perturbation, so if, due to fluctuations, the magnetic filed changes slightly in a point it could be a very big problem.

Check out the book "Plasma physics for fusion energy", by Jeffrey Freidberg, it a great book and it does not require a very advance knowledge: an undergrad understanding of EM and classical mechanics should be enough.

right @dRic2 the plasma would push itself outwards , anyway in a standard tokamak they use the toroidal fields to mitigate just this very effect as I believe it is present in every plasma that is toroidal.

but I think there is one thing that is possible only in a toroidal plasma and that is induced current heating as far as I know all cylindrical pinch type have to use some sort of direct current introduction mechanism like electrodes, am I right?

thanks for the book btw I will check it out.

Yes in a tokamak there is a toroidal component of the field and some other external field I think to stabilize even further.

My understand is very limited (I just took a course this year about plasmas), but I am not sure whether the toroidal current is used to heat the plasma or not. I really don't know, but I am a bit skeptical about it. I think some external source is used, like lasers.

the induced current indeed heats the plasma initially up until some temp, then RF and neutral particle beams pick it up further because the plasma density is low so ohmic heating can only do so much as far as I know.

artis said:
Zpinch works by running a strong current through the plasma which sets up a field that tends to confine the plasma, so if the current is switched on rapidly the resulting temperature increase and B field increase tends to compress the plasma channel rapidly, at least this is how I understand the concept in it's basic form.

I tried googling but did not find any related materials, has anyone ever tried to run a tokamak reactor in such a way?
In theory instead of using direct electrodes like in the Z pinch the tokamak creates a plasma current as a secondary from a drive primary transformer, so what would happen if this primary current was a pulsed square wave?
Assuming of course that the plasma stays in the plasma state between pulses.On a more general note, is it possible in theory to have a net energy gain from a pulsed fusion device , even such that the plasma cools off between each pulse?
the confinement time is very small compared to a tokamak burn but on the other hand since confinement is not necessary one could use much higher pressures of DT gas which should result in a higher fusion rate.
I guess the simple requirement is to have enough energy out from each pulse to account for energy spent on each pulse + net energy gain.
So this pulsed device might consist of plasma inside a torus shaped tube, which would be surrounded by rings, in which there would a very large alternating current.

If this device is designed so that the plasma moves at very high speed as it is being alternatingly pinched and released, then current in the plasma could stay quite small, which means that the device could actually work, unlike all those devises that dried to induce a large current into the plasma, which then became unstable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-pinch#History

1. What is a pulsed tokamak fusion?

A pulsed tokamak fusion is a type of nuclear fusion reactor that uses magnetic fields to confine and heat plasma to extremely high temperatures, allowing for the fusion of atomic nuclei and the release of large amounts of energy.

2. What is the potential for net energy gain in a pulsed tokamak fusion?

The potential for net energy gain in a pulsed tokamak fusion is high, as it has been demonstrated in experiments that the amount of energy produced from fusion reactions can exceed the amount of energy required to sustain the plasma and operate the reactor. However, further research and development is needed to achieve consistent and sustained net energy gain.

3. What are the challenges in achieving net energy gain in a pulsed tokamak fusion?

There are several challenges in achieving net energy gain in a pulsed tokamak fusion, including controlling and sustaining the high temperatures and pressures needed for fusion, managing and containing the plasma, and finding materials that can withstand the extreme conditions inside the reactor.

4. How is a pulsed tokamak fusion different from other types of fusion reactors?

Pulsed tokamak fusion reactors operate in short bursts or pulses, as opposed to continuous operation in other types of fusion reactors. This allows for better control and management of the plasma, but also presents challenges in terms of sustaining the fusion reactions.

5. What are the potential applications of pulsed tokamak fusion technology?

Pulsed tokamak fusion technology has the potential to provide a clean and virtually limitless source of energy, which could be used for electricity generation, space propulsion, and other industrial and commercial applications. It could also be used for research and development in other areas of science and technology.