Interacting virtual particles?

In summary, the real quantum difference between electric and magnetic field is that magnetic fields are really electric fields that arise due to length contraction in general relativity.
Marjan
static fields - quantum picture

I am trying to understand quantum field theory & QED but i am having problems, because i don't find specific answer:

What is the real quantum difference between electric and magnetic field?

Maybe in spin of virtual photons (1, 0, -1)? But then what is polarization of light?! Or is the key here electric & magnetic momentum of a particle?!? Help :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marjan said:
I am trying to understand quantum field theory & QED but i am having problems, because i don't find specific answer:

Could you elaborate on what specifically you're asking ?
The EM "field" in QFT is usually taken to be the 4-potential A_mu. If you understand well how A_mu is related to the electric and magnetic fields (a prerequisite before hoping to understand the quantum version of electromagnetism) then I don't understand your question, because the relationship is the same.
If you don't understand that relationship, then you should first learn more about classical EM. Does the field tensor F_mu,nu tells you something ?

cheers,
Patrick.

Try to work out the moments and their potentials.

Ok, like vanesch said - one step back!

Magnetic momentum of single fundamental (lets take electron) particle is pm = g*e*(1/2 hbar)/(2*m), where g is approx. 2.

Electric dipole(!) momentum of electron and positron is pe = e*l, where l is distance between them. And pe is oriented opposite of E field.
So, is the electric momentum of a single particle pe = e*x, where x is "size" of fundamental particle?!

Am i right? If so, I just proved that fundamentally we can't talk about just one of the fields (like magnetic or electric), because every fundamental particle have mass and charge, so it have also el. AND magn. momentum.
And then i guess: B = M / pm and E = M / pe or something like that?! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Acutally magnetic fields are really electric fields that arise due to length contraction in general relativity. There is a really good example that describes this involving the magnetic field created by a wire with current running through it. I'll try to find it on-line.

Holy s*it, you are right. I think I just bumped into Quantum Physics / General Relativity problem. One or the other, but not both together!

Two points:

(1) Magnetic field is born just for observer who is in relative motion according to electric charge. So magnetic field is just a side effect of relativity. Even more: Magnetic field's origin is in (general) relativity!

(2) Is spin=0 of photon possible state? Yes, but only in sistem of other photons or gravitons. No way for fermions.

---
Do you see that it's all fine, if we examine problem through relativity OR through quantum physics?! But can't both!

Entropy, did you have something like that in mind: ]Field Relativity.[/URL]

I draw that picture, it is little funny, but try to understand what i am trying to say :bugeye:

It is up to observer if he will measure field or energy (-> also mass)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I have a point or am I just going crazy? :surprise:

1. What are interacting virtual particles?

Interacting virtual particles are theoretical particles that are not directly observable, but are predicted by quantum mechanics to exist as short-lived fluctuations in the quantum vacuum. They are believed to play a role in the interactions between elementary particles.

2. How are interacting virtual particles different from real particles?

Interacting virtual particles differ from real particles in that they are not directly observable and have no mass or energy. They only exist as fluctuations in the quantum vacuum and are constantly popping in and out of existence.

3. What is the significance of interacting virtual particles?

Interacting virtual particles are significant because they play a crucial role in the fundamental interactions between particles, such as the strong and weak nuclear forces. They also help to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can interacting virtual particles be observed or detected?

No, interacting virtual particles cannot be directly observed or detected. They are only predicted by mathematical equations and can only be indirectly observed through the effects they have on real particles.

5. How do interacting virtual particles affect our understanding of the universe?

Interacting virtual particles provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of the universe and how they interact. They also help to explain some of the mysteries of quantum mechanics and provide a better understanding of the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.