One Big problem with Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the problem in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics 3rd edition, specifically in Chapter 10.19. The person speaking had already calculated the transmission coefficients, but they were only a fourth of those given by Jackson. They suspect their error may be due to using the dipole moments approximation based on Problem 10.18. They hope for help in correcting their error and it is mentioned that a certain website may be violating the publisher's copyright on Jackson. However, it is clarified that the site only has a photo and the conversation ends with the person realizing their mistake and thanking the others for their help.
qinglong.1397

Homework Statement

You can find the problem in Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics 3rd edition. Chapter 10.19.I already calculated the transmission coefficients, but mine are fourth of those given by Jackson. I do not know why.

My calculation is based on Problem 10.18. I use dipole moments approximation.

I hope someone can help me correct my error. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does that site violate the publisher's copyright on Jackson?

Antiphon said:
Does that site violate the publisher's copyright on Jackson?

Oh my god! That is just a photo. If so, I will tell him to delete it.

I have solved this problem. Oh... I should have said I found my problem. I did not read the book carefully enough. Thank you, guys!

As a fellow scientist, I understand the frustration of encountering discrepancies in calculations and results. In this case, it is important to carefully review your calculations and assumptions to identify any potential errors. It is also helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for further insights and potential solutions.

In addition, it is worth mentioning that scientific research and understanding is an ongoing process, and it is not uncommon for different researchers to come up with slightly different results or interpretations. This is why replication and verification of results is crucial in the scientific community.

I would suggest reaching out to the author or other experts in the field to discuss your calculations and see if they can provide any insights or potential sources of error. It may also be helpful to review the mathematical derivations and assumptions made in Jackson's textbook to gain a better understanding of the problem.

Overall, it is important to approach this challenge with a scientific mindset, remaining open to the possibility of errors and seeking out potential solutions through collaboration and further investigation. Best of luck in correcting your error and advancing your understanding of classical electrodynamics.

1. What is the main issue with Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

The main issue with Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is that it does not take into account the principles of special relativity, which are necessary for accurately describing the behavior of electromagnetic fields in moving reference frames.

2. How does this issue affect the accuracy of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

Because special relativity is not incorporated into Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics, the equations and predictions made by this theory may not accurately reflect the behavior of electromagnetic fields in high-speed or relativistic situations.

3. Can this issue be resolved within the framework of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

No, this issue cannot be resolved within the framework of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics. Instead, a new theory, such as relativistic electrodynamics, must be developed to properly account for the principles of special relativity.

4. Are there any other potential problems with Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

In addition to the issue with special relativity, there are also concerns about the self-energy of point charges and the stability of solutions in certain situations. These issues have prompted the development of alternative theories, such as quantum electrodynamics.

5. How has the scientific community responded to this problem with Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics?

The scientific community has generally acknowledged the limitations of Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics and has worked towards developing alternative theories that incorporate special relativity and address other issues. However, Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics is still widely used and studied, particularly in undergraduate courses.