Understanding double-peaked HI profiles

• Thread starter clandarkfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hi
In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of double-peak HI profiles in galaxies. The speaker is trying to understand why this occurs and asks for help in deriving a function for flux as a function of velocity in the simplest case. The explanation involves considering a uniform ring seen edge-on, where particles rotate with a certain velocity. As the angle between the line of sight and the point on the ring changes, the intensity of the profile also changes, resulting in the double peaks at the edges of the spectrum. This is seen in many galaxy rotation curves, where the peaks can be observed for the entire galaxy.
clandarkfire
Hi everyone. This isn't a specific homework problem, I'm just trying to understand a concept.

I've been studying the HI profiles (from the 21cm emission line). Almost all of them look like the attached profile. The velocity on the x-axis corresponds to the amount that the line has been redshifted, and the flux on the y-axis tells how much gas has that particular velocity.

With a simple model of an observer viewing a galaxy that is a solid, uniform disk edge-on, could someone help me understand why one would expect a double-peak HI profile. I've drawn tons of circles and tried to determine the flux at each velocity and the velocity at each angle, but I'm not getting it.

Ideally, could someone show me how to derive a function for flux as a function of velocity for the simplest case? I understand that the velocity of the center of the peak gives the total recession velocity of the galaxy and the width of the peak gives rotation velocity, but I don't see why there's a double peak rather than a single one.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• science.PNG
    science.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 452
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Consider a uniform ring, seen edge-on, where particles rotate with a velocity of v. Consider a point with the angle θ between our line of sight and the point on the ring (so θ=0 is the closest point, θ=pi/2 is at one side and so on). If we consider the radial component of the velocity only, we get ##v(\theta)=\sin(\theta)## and therefore $$\frac{dv}{d\theta}=v\cos(\theta)$$ and $$\frac{d\theta}{dv}=\frac{1}{v\cos(\theta)}$$. But ##\frac{d\theta}{dv}## just quantifies your intensity - how much material you have per velocity bin. As ##\cos(\theta)## is small for θ close to pi/2 and -pi/2, you get a large intensity there, the two peaks at the edge of the spectrum.

A disk is like a collection of many rings. Many galaxy rotation curves have nearly constant velocities (as a function of radius), so the peaks can be seen for the whole galaxy.

1. What are double-peaked HI profiles?

Double-peaked HI profiles are a type of astronomical observation that shows two distinct peaks in the intensity of neutral hydrogen gas emission. These profiles are often seen in galaxies, and can provide valuable information about the velocity and structure of the gas in these systems.

2. How are double-peaked HI profiles formed?

Double-peaked HI profiles are thought to be caused by a rotating disk of gas and stars in a galaxy. As the galaxy rotates, the gas on one side of the disk moves towards us, causing a peak in the HI emission, while the gas on the other side moves away from us, creating a second peak.

3. What can we learn from studying double-peaked HI profiles?

Studying double-peaked HI profiles can provide insights into the dynamics and structure of galaxies. By analyzing the velocity and shape of the peaks, we can determine the rotation speed of the galaxy and the distribution of gas within it. This can help us understand how galaxies form and evolve over time.

4. Are there any other factors that can contribute to double-peaked HI profiles?

Yes, in addition to rotation, other factors such as interactions with other galaxies, mergers, and galactic winds can also contribute to the formation of double-peaked HI profiles. These events can disturb the gas in a galaxy, causing it to shift and create multiple peaks in the HI emission.

5. How do scientists use double-peaked HI profiles to study dark matter?

Dark matter is an invisible substance that makes up a large portion of the mass in the universe. Scientists can use double-peaked HI profiles to study the distribution of dark matter in galaxies. By comparing the observed rotation speed of a galaxy to the amount of mass we can see, we can estimate the amount of dark matter present and how it is distributed throughout the galaxy.