Velocity in Proper Time: Relativistic Acceleration Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the coordinates and velocity of an object with constant acceleration g_M after a proper time τ. It is mentioned that the coordinates are x = cosh(τ/τ_0) and t = sinh(τ/τ_0), and the velocity is v = tanh(τ/τ_0). There is a question about whether the correct formula for velocity is coth or tanh, and it is clarified that tanh is correct. The second question asks about finding the end velocity after a finite amount of time, and it is explained that v = dx/dt is the desired instantaneous coordinate velocity at time τ.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Two questions, based on the same situation: in
http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/34204/relativistic-acceleration-equation
(question A) it is mentioned that, for an object with a constant acceleration g[itex]_{M}[/itex], and with [itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex] =1/g[itex]_{M}[/itex] , after proper time [itex]\tau[/itex], the coordinates are
x= cosh([itex]\tau[/itex]/[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex])
t = sinh([itex]\tau[/itex]/[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex])
and that therefore
v = tanh([itex]\tau[/itex]/[itex]\tau[/itex][itex]_{0}[/itex])
My first reaction was that this should be coth (position/time, cosh/sinh), but then I figured that tanh comes from v=dx/dt =d(cosh ...)/d(sinh ...) = sinh.../cosh... Is this correct?
(question B) However, this is the end velocity after d[itex]\tau[/itex]. So, I presume one would need to call this v= dv. If we want the end velocity after a finite amount of time, I presume integration would be in order, but since it is the rapidities that add rather than the velocities, I am not sure how this integration would look. Or perhaps there is a simpler method to find the coordinate velocity after finite proper time [itex]\tau[/itex] with constant acceleration g[itex]_{M}[/itex]? (Starting at (0,0).)
I would be grateful for anyone who can untangle me from this mess.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
My first reaction was that this should be coth (position/time, cosh/sinh), but then I figured that tanh comes from v=dx/dt =d(cosh ...)/d(sinh ...) = sinh.../cosh... Is this correct?
Yes

nomadreid said:
(question B) However, this is the end velocity after d[itex]\tau[/itex]. So, I presume one would need to call this v= dv. If we want the end velocity after a finite amount of time, I presume integration would be in order, but since it is the rapidities that add rather than the velocities, I am not sure how this integration would look.
No, v = dx/dt, as you've calculated it, is the desired instantaneous coordinate velocity at time τ.

Thanks, Bill_K

1. What is the equation for velocity in proper time?

The equation for velocity in proper time is v = v0 / (1 + (v02 / c2)(t - t0))1/2, where v0 is the initial velocity, c is the speed of light, t is the current time, and t0 is the initial time.

2. How is velocity in proper time different from regular velocity?

Velocity in proper time takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in the theory of relativity. It is the velocity of an object as measured by an observer in the same frame of reference as the object, while regular velocity is measured by an observer in a different frame of reference.

3. What is the significance of the relativistic acceleration equation?

The relativistic acceleration equation is significant because it allows us to calculate the velocity of an object in proper time, taking into account the effects of relativity. This is important in understanding how objects move at high speeds and in predicting their behavior.

4. How is the relativistic acceleration equation derived?

The relativistic acceleration equation is derived from the equations of special relativity, specifically the equations for time dilation and length contraction. By combining these equations with the definition of acceleration, we can arrive at the equation for velocity in proper time.

5. What are some real-world applications of the relativistic acceleration equation?

The relativistic acceleration equation has many practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to near the speed of light. It is also used in the design of spacecraft that travel at high speeds, and it is important in understanding the behavior of objects in space, such as stars and galaxies.