Understanding the Schwarzschild Coordinate r in Spherical Symmetric Spacetime

In summary: So you can't use this formula to compute distances between events inside the horizon, and as a consequence the notion of "the distance between two events inside the horizon" is something that doesn't make sense.In summary, the Schwarzschild coordinate "r" is defined as the square root of the area divided by 4π in a spherical symmetric spacetime. However, in both special and general relativity, there is no unique definition of "real distance." The distance between events can be calculated using the integral of √grr, but this only applies to static observers and is not applicable inside the event horizon.
Vrbic
Schwarzschild coordinate "r"

Hello, I am a newguy here, so if my question don't belong to this section, please let me know.
My question:
In spherical symmetric spacetime discrabed by Schwarzschild coordinate ds2=-a(r)dt2+b(r)dr2+r2(dΘ2+Sin2(Θ)d[itex]\varphi[/itex]2), "r" is defined as r=[itex]\sqrt{A/(4\pi)}[/itex] where "A" is an area of sphere dΘ2+Sin2(Θ)d[itex]\varphi[/itex]2. What is relation between "r" and real distance from the center of coordinate?

Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vrbic said:
Hello, I am a newguy here, so if my question don't belong to this section, please let me know.
My question:
In spherical symmetric spacetime discrabed by Schwarzschild coordinate ds2=-a(r)dt2+b(r)dr2+r2(dΘ2+Sin2(Θ)d[itex]\varphi[/itex]2), "r" is defined as r=[itex]\sqrt{A/(4\pi)}[/itex] where "A" is an area of sphere dΘ2+Sin2(Θ)d[itex]\varphi[/itex]2. What is relation between "r" and real distance from the center of coordinate?

Thank you all.

In both SR and GR, there is no such thing as 'real distance' (in SR, it is frame dependent, in GR there is commonly no unique definition of it; there are distance conventions that can be adopted, and this r coordinate is an example). In this case, there may no center, even mathematically: you could have and event horizon, with a singularity inside, in which case there is timelike world line that in any way represents the history of a center.

So if I want to know exact radial distance between to evens only I can do is ∫grrdr with limits of my r1,r2. Is it right?

Vrbic said:
So if I want to know exact radial distance between to evens only I can do is ∫grrdr with limits of my r1,r2. Is it right?
Should be ∫√grrdr, but yes, that's basically the right idea.

Some remarks in addition to the missing square root:

It might be helpful to recall from special relativity that "real distance" depends on the frame of reference, it's not an observer independent property in special relativity. Being observer dependent, the adjective "real" may be confusing when applied to distance, since different observers measure different distances.

GR doesn't have exactly the same notion of "frame of reference" as SR. But in this case you can consider that what you are computing with your formula is the distance as measured by a static observer. Static observers are observers that have constant Schwarzschild coordinates, they are basically "at rest" in the Schwarzschild coordinate system.

Last edited:
Note that in the case where there's an event horizon, [itex]\sqrt{g_{rr}}[/itex] becomes imaginary inside the horizon. Physically, there are no static observers inside the horizon.

What is the Schwarzschild coordinate r?

The Schwarzschild coordinate r is a coordinate system used in the study of black holes. It represents the distance from the center of a black hole, with r = 0 being at the singularity (the point of infinite density) and r = ∞ being at infinity.

How is the Schwarzschild coordinate r related to the Schwarzschild radius?

The Schwarzschild coordinate r is related to the Schwarzschild radius (represented by rS) as r = rS / (1 - rS/r), where rS is the radius at which the escape velocity equals the speed of light.

What is the significance of the Schwarzschild radius?

The Schwarzschild radius is significant because it represents the point at which the gravitational pull of a black hole becomes so strong that even light cannot escape it. It is also the boundary of the event horizon, the point of no return for objects falling into the black hole.

How does the Schwarzschild coordinate r change with time?

The Schwarzschild coordinate r does not change with time for a non-rotating black hole. However, for a rotating black hole, the coordinate r is dynamic and changes based on the spin of the black hole.

What is the difference between the Schwarzschild coordinate r and the radial coordinate r used in other coordinate systems?

The Schwarzschild coordinate r and the radial coordinate r used in other coordinate systems represent the same physical quantity (distance from the center of a black hole). However, the Schwarzschild coordinate is used specifically for non-rotating black holes, while the radial coordinate can be used for any spherically symmetric object.