Verifying Differential Equations Solutions: ODEs on Intervals

In summary: So,|y|= C'/|x| means "either y= C'/x or y= -C'/x and we can simply write y= C/x with C any real number.In summary, the conversation is about verifying the solution for the differential equation xy' = -y, finding the solution for ODEs on open intervals, and using substitution to solve equations. The main focus is on solving the equation -ln|y| = ln|x| + C, which can be simplified to y = C/x.
mathnerd15
Hi! I think I have to ask this since I'm having health problems-

from Kreyszig, for xy'=-y how do you verify the solution y=h(x)=clnx by differentiating
y'=h'(x)=-clnx^2? I don't see how you get the x^2 term
also for ODEs the solution is on an open interval a<x<b but how does it include special cases of the intervals -inf<x<b, a<x<inf, -inf<x<inf; wouldn't the open interval a<x<b exclude -inf<x<b?
thanks very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not a solution.
It is a separable differential equation.

thanks very much!
I separated leading to-
-ln|y|=ln|x|+C
so then you just find the substitution c/x? (I misread the text: l is /)

mathnerd15 said:
thanks very much!
I separated leading to-
-ln|y|=ln|x|+C
so then you just find the substitution c/x? (I misread the text: l is /)
Well, you don't just "find" a substitution. You always solve an equation of the form f(y)= F(x) for y by taking [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] of both sides. The inverse function to ln(x) is, of course, [itex]e^x[/itex] so take the exponential of both sides:
[tex]e^{-ln|y|}= e^{ln|x|+ C}[/tex]

[itex]-ln|y|= ln|y^{-1}|[/itex] so the left side is [itex]y^{-1}= 1/y[/itex]. Because [itex]e^{a+ b}= e^ae^b[/itex] the right side is [itex]e^{ln|x|}e^C= C' |x|[/itex] where C'= e^C.
That is, [itex]1/|y|= C'|x|[/itex] or [itex]|y|= C'/|x|[/itex]. We can then "absorb" the absolute values into C' by allowing it to be positive or negative.

I would like to clarify that verifying solutions to differential equations is an important step in the process of solving ODEs. In order to verify the solution y=h(x)=clnx by differentiating, we can use the chain rule and product rule to differentiate both sides of the equation. This will result in y'=h'(x)=-clnx^2, as correctly stated in the question. The x^2 term comes from differentiating the ln function using the power rule.

Regarding the intervals for ODE solutions, it is important to note that the open interval a<x<b includes all values between a and b, including special cases such as -inf<x<b, a<x<inf, and -inf<x<inf. This is because an open interval does not have a specific endpoint, so it encompasses all values within its boundary. Therefore, the open interval a<x<b does not exclude any of the mentioned special cases.

I hope this clarifies any confusion regarding verifying ODE solutions and the use of open intervals. If you are experiencing health problems, I would recommend seeking professional medical advice. I am not qualified to provide medical advice.

1. What is the purpose of verifying differential equation solutions?

The purpose of verifying differential equation solutions is to ensure that the proposed solution satisfies the original differential equation and any given initial or boundary conditions. This is essential in order to determine the validity and accuracy of the solution.

2. What are the steps involved in verifying a differential equation solution?

The steps involved in verifying a differential equation solution include substituting the proposed solution into the original differential equation, taking derivatives if necessary, and checking if the solution satisfies the given initial or boundary conditions.

3. How do you know if a differential equation solution is valid?

A differential equation solution is considered valid if it satisfies the original differential equation and any given initial or boundary conditions. This can be determined by plugging the solution into the equation and checking if it holds true.

4. Can a differential equation have multiple valid solutions?

Yes, a differential equation can have multiple valid solutions. However, it is important to note that these solutions may differ based on the given initial or boundary conditions. It is necessary to verify each solution separately to determine its validity.

5. What happens if a proposed differential equation solution does not satisfy the original equation?

If a proposed differential equation solution does not satisfy the original equation, then it is not a valid solution. This could mean that there was an error in the solution process or that the proposed solution is incorrect. It is important to carefully check the steps and calculations to identify any mistakes.