Need help evaulating a few limits

• Thread starter Bipolarity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation discusses limit problems related to understanding pH in chemistry and how to evaluate them using L'Hopital's rule. The specific limit problems are provided and it is noted that L'Hopital's rule may not be applicable. The conversation also mentions using a piece-wise continuous function to model pH and clarifies the continuity of BiPlog(x).
Bipolarity
I made up this limit problems trying to understand something in chemistry, so they may not necessarily have any answer.

I am not sure how to evaluate them analytically. Not sure how L'Hopital's Rule would work here either.

[tex] (\lim_{V→50^{-}}-log(\frac{50-V}{10(V+50)})) [/tex]

[tex] 14+(\lim_{V→50^{+}}log(\frac{V-50}{10(V+50)})) [/tex]

[tex] 14+(\lim_{V→∞}log(\frac{V-50}{10(V+50)})) [/tex]

I would greatly appreciate all your help on these questions!

Just in case anyone asks, I am trying to model the pH of a solution as a function of the volume of titrant added, but I want to make sure it is piece-wise continuous.

Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
log(x) is continuous for x> 0 so [itex]\lim_{V\to 50^-} log((50- V)/(10(V+ 50))= log(\lim_{V\to 50^-} (50-V)/(10(50+ V))[/itex]

And since the denominator does not go to 0 as V goes to 50, you cannot use "L'Hopital's rule" nor do you need to. As V goes to 50, from below, the numerator goes to 0 while the denominator goes to 1000 so the argument of log goes to 0 and so the limit is [itex]-\infty[/itex].

1. What are limits in mathematics?

Limits in mathematics are used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value or "limit". This can help determine the value of the function at that specific point or identify any discontinuities or asymptotes.

2. How can limits be evaluated?

Limits can be evaluated using algebraic manipulation, graphing, or using limit laws and theorems. In some cases, substitution or factoring may also be helpful in evaluating a limit.

3. What are some common types of limits?

Some common types of limits include one-sided limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. One-sided limits involve approaching the limit from either the left or right side of the function, while infinite limits involve the function approaching positive or negative infinity. Limits at infinity involve examining the behavior of a function as its input approaches infinity.

4. What are the key properties of limits?

The key properties of limits include the limit laws, which allow for the evaluation of limits using algebraic operations, and the squeeze theorem, which can be used to determine the limit of a function that is "sandwiched" between two other functions.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits?

Limits have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, limits can be used to determine the maximum speed of a moving object or the maximum capacity of a structure. In economics, limits can be used to analyze the behavior of supply and demand curves.