How to calculate lift for delta wing

• Thread starter perrabananskruv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta Lift
In summary: The model geometry, test conditions, and measured forces are the hard data, and the referent area for coefficients is chosen according to the need. E.g. if comparing coefficients with other experiments, take the definition of area they used; if using coefficients in design calculations, take the definition of area agreed upon by the design team.
perrabananskruv
is the formula below valid to calculate the lift coefficient for a delta wing?

Cl=2*L/(rho*v^2*A)

L=lift (N)
rho= air density
v= air velocity
A=wing area

im doing a subsonic wind tunnel project where I am going to measure the lift for a low aspect ratio delta wing. should i use another theory to calculate the lift?

Engineering news on Phys.org
nobody knows?

I've never calculated lift on a delta wing, but why would the lift formula be any different? Approach it in a way you would any wing, with the proper values of course.

Yes, that looks valid to me. Going backwards from lift to lift coefficient via wind tunnel testing is the easiest and most accurate approach for lift analysis.

russ_watters said:
Going backwards from lift to lift coefficient via wind tunnel testing is the easiest and most accurate approach for lift analysis.
yups...that's the exact method and correct way to measure lift.
can be use for any wing shape or any object.

just reverse the formula...u get the Lift from balance, u know the air density, air speed and also the wing area.

tadaaa...u'll get the Lift Coefficient, Cl in no time. :smile:

perrabananskruv said:
is the formula below valid to calculate the lift coefficient for a delta wing?

Cl=2*L/(rho*v^2*A)

L=lift (N)
rho= air density
v= air velocity
A=wing area

im doing a subsonic wind tunnel project where I am going to measure the lift for a low aspect ratio delta wing. should i use another theory to calculate the lift?

Lets be clear, that's not a theory, that's a definition of the coefficient of lift, where the area A is probably going to be your planform area of the delta.

LovePhysics said:
I've never calculated lift on a delta wing, but why would the lift formula be any different? Approach it in a way you would any wing, with the proper values of course.

Maybe Vortex lift at high Angle of Attack. It only allows the delta to produce lift at higher angles of attack, but I'm not sure how it's going to be different from any wing producing lift prior to stall.

perrabananskruv said:
Since you are doing actual test work, you would need to couple the theoretical calculations with pressure distribution measurements around the entire planform area of the wing. That combined with the actual load measurements from the tunnel are the best way to characterize the lift of an entire wing.

surely there is a slight problem with the formula because 'A' (for a normal aerofoil anyway) is the cross sectional (average cross sectional in tapering) area of the wing. and deltas don't really have a standardable cross seectionabe area due to their shape

Area can be anything. I could take it as that of pilot's boot sole -- if it would do me any good.

The full model geometry, test conditions, and measured forces are the hard data, and the referent area for coefficients is chosen according to the need. E.g. if comparing coefficients with other experiments, take the definition of area they used; if using coefficients in design calculations, take the definition of area agreed upon by the design team.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

I wonder if any of the posters on this thread can help?
I have just started radio controlled modelling. In the winter I am proposing to scratch build a Mirage 2000 delta wing plane using a Electric ducted fan. I am busy trying to get the manufactures details so I can start evaluation based on scale. The finished model will have a wingspan between 24 -30". Final size will be dependent on EDF sizes and powers available together with estimated model size, weight, lift, drag, etc.
Of couse my model will not fly supersonic and I assume I will have to modify the manufactures aerofoil shape to get better model performance.
I would appreciate any ideas on how I could proceed.
regards Trevor

1. What is the formula for calculating lift for a delta wing?

The formula for calculating lift for a delta wing is: Lift = ½ x air density x velocity2 x wing area x lift coefficient.

2. How do I determine the air density for the calculation?

The air density can be determined using the standard atmospheric values for pressure, temperature, and humidity. These values can also be obtained from the local weather station or online resources.

3. What is the lift coefficient for a delta wing?

The lift coefficient for a delta wing varies depending on the wing design and angle of attack, but it is typically between 0.5 and 1.5. This value can be obtained from wind tunnel testing or through computational fluid dynamics simulations.

4. How does the angle of attack affect the lift calculation?

The angle of attack, which is the angle between the wing and the incoming air flow, has a significant impact on the lift calculation. As the angle of attack increases, the lift coefficient also increases, resulting in a higher lift force. However, at very high angles of attack, the lift coefficient may decrease due to flow separation, resulting in a decrease in lift.

5. Can I use the same lift calculation for different delta wing designs?

No, the lift calculation may differ for different delta wing designs. This is because the lift coefficient is dependent on the wing's shape, size, and angle of attack. Therefore, it is important to use the appropriate lift coefficient for the specific delta wing design being analyzed.