Why does v = 0 in the Lorentz Transformation equation?

In summary, Einstein discusses the Lorentz equations' proof that light remains constant without providing a mathematical explanation in his theory of relativity. However, by solving for t and substituting it into the other equation, it is shown that v=0 in order for the equations to simplify to x^1=ct^1. This is further supported by multiplying the second equation by c and showing that it is equivalent to the first equation.
xwolfhunter
So I've been reading Einstein's theory of relativity, and at one point when discussing the Lorentz equations' proof that light remains constant, he just states it without mathematically doing it. Probably because it wasn't the super scientific version (?) but I wanted to see how he did it, so I did it, but the only way it works out to exactly what it needs to be is if ##v=0##. So here's the math:
[tex]x^1=\frac{(c-v)t}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
[tex]t^1=\frac{(1-\frac{v}{c})t}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
This is after you state that [itex]x=cv[/itex] and then substitute it into the Lorentz equations. So then you solve for [itex]t[/itex], and get [itex]t=\frac{\Big(\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}\Big)t^1}{(1-\frac{v}{c})}[/itex]. Substituting [itex]t[/itex] into the other equation, and simplifying it, I end up with:
[tex]x^1=\frac{t^1(c-v)}{1-\frac{v}{c}}[/tex]
The only way it simplifies to [itex]x^1=ct^1[/itex] is if, as previously stated, [itex]v=0[/itex]. And I'm sure it does, but I just cannot figure out why. First I thought [itex]v=c[/itex], since that was what was being measured, but then I discarded it, since mathematically it made [itex]x^1=0[/itex]. If somebody could briefly explain why [itex]v=0[/itex], I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
xwolfhunter said:
So here's the math:
[tex]x^1=\frac{(c-v)t}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
[tex]t^1=\frac{(1-\frac{v}{c})t}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]
Multiply the second equation by c, and the right-hand side will be exactly the same as the right-hand side of the first equation, showing immediately that ct1 = x1.

Likes 1 person
Aha, that's beautiful! Thanks!

xwolfhunter said:
[tex]x^1=\frac{t^1(c-v)}{1-\frac{v}{c}}[/tex]
The only way it simplifies to [itex]x^1=ct^1[/itex] is if, as previously stated, [itex]v=0[/itex].
Or[tex]x^1=\frac{t^1(c-v)}{1-\frac{v}{c}}[/tex][tex]x^1=\frac{c\;t^1(c-v)}{c\;(1-\frac{v}{c})}[/tex][tex]x^1=\frac{c\;t^1(c-v)}{(c-v)}[/tex][tex]x^1=c\;t^1[/tex]

Dear reader,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and calculations on the Lorentz Transformation equation. It is always important to question and understand the mathematical reasoning behind scientific theories.

In the Lorentz Transformation equation, v represents the relative velocity between two frames of reference. This means that v is the speed at which one frame of reference is moving relative to the other. Therefore, if v=0, it means that the two frames of reference are not moving relative to each other. In other words, they are at rest with respect to each other.

In the context of Einstein's theory of relativity, this is significant because it shows that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference, regardless of their relative motion. This is a fundamental principle of the theory and has been experimentally verified.

I hope this helps to clarify why v=0 in the Lorentz Transformation equation. Keep questioning and exploring the world around you!

Best regards,
A scientist

1. Why does the Lorentz Transformation equation involve setting v=0?

The Lorentz Transformation equation, which describes the relationship between space and time in special relativity, involves setting v=0 because it assumes that the observer is at rest in their own frame of reference. This allows for a simplified understanding of time and space in relation to a moving object.

2. Can v ever be non-zero in the Lorentz Transformation equation?

Yes, v can be non-zero in the Lorentz Transformation equation if the observer is in motion relative to their own frame of reference. In this case, the equation becomes more complex and takes into account the relative velocity of the observer and the object in motion.

3. How does setting v=0 affect the results of the Lorentz Transformation equation?

Setting v=0 in the Lorentz Transformation equation simplifies the calculations and allows for a clearer understanding of the relationship between space and time in special relativity. It results in a smaller change in time and length measurements compared to when v is non-zero.

4. Is setting v=0 a limitation of the Lorentz Transformation equation?

No, setting v=0 is not a limitation of the Lorentz Transformation equation. It is simply a simplification that is used when the observer is at rest in their own frame of reference. The equation can still be used to accurately describe the relationship between space and time in other scenarios where v is non-zero.

5. How does the Lorentz Transformation equation account for the speed of light?

The Lorentz Transformation equation includes the speed of light, c, as a constant. This is because the speed of light is the same in all inertial frames of reference, and it is a fundamental constant in the theory of special relativity. The equation takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction that occur as objects approach the speed of light.