Is Weyl Curvature Present in Interior Spacetimes?

In summary: This equation says that the curvature of the Weyl tensor between two indices must be zero. What this means is that the space between the two indices is flat.
Markus Hanke
I am just wondering - is space-time curvature in the presence of energy-momentum ( i.e. in interior solutions to the EFEs ) always pure Ricci in nature ? I had a discussion recently with someone who claimed that, but personally I would suspect that not to be the case in general, since I see no reason why gravitational radiation from distant sources couldn't penetrate into such regions, so that the Riemann tensor contains both Ricci and Weyl contributions. I am not completely sure though, so any input will be appreciated.

I have heard of the Petrov classification scheme for space-times, which is done via Weyl scalars, but to be honest it is a little over my head.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some pefect fluid solutions have zero Weyl curvature and some do not. I'm basing this on two solutions I have to hand. I don't know of any general criterion that separates these types of solutions but I'm sure someone will add to this.

Mentz114 said:
Some pefect fluid solutions have zero Weyl curvature and some do not.

Ok, thank you. So the answer is basically that Weyl curvature does not always vanish for interior spacetimes - that's what I wanted to know.

The Weyl tensor is the conformal curvature tensor. If it's zero then the spacetime is conformally flat.

The Petrov classification is based on the eigenvectors of the Weyl tensor. You can often deduce the class from symmetry considerations alone. For example the Schwarzschild solution has only one preferred direction, namely the radial direction, plus there is a reflection in time. Together they imply that the Petrov class for Schwarzschild must be type D.

Most cosmologies have no preferred direction, implying that the Weyl tensor must be zero.

Bill_K said:
For example the Schwarzschild solution has only one preferred direction, namely the radial direction, plus there is a reflection in time. Together they imply that the Petrov class for Schwarzschild must be type D.

That's really handy, thanks.

Another question : as far as I know ( and please correct me on this if I am wrong ), the contraction of the Weyl tensor across two indices always vanishes :

[tex]\displaystyle{C{^{\alpha }}_{\mu \alpha \nu }=0}[/tex]

Is there any physical or geometric significance or meaning to this ? What does this equation actually mean - if anything -, geometrically ?

1. What is Weyl curvature?

Weyl curvature is a measure of the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. It is a type of curvature that is not affected by the presence of matter or energy, and it describes the overall shape and structure of spacetime. It is named after German mathematician Hermann Weyl.

2. How is Weyl curvature different from other types of curvature?

Unlike other types of curvature, such as Ricci curvature or scalar curvature, Weyl curvature does not depend on the distribution of matter or energy in spacetime. Instead, it describes the intrinsic curvature of spacetime itself.

3. Is Weyl curvature present in all interior spacetimes?

No, Weyl curvature is not present in all interior spacetimes. It depends on the geometry and topology of the spacetime in question. Some interior spacetimes may have no Weyl curvature at all, while others may have a significant amount.

4. What are the implications of Weyl curvature in interior spacetimes?

Weyl curvature can have significant implications for the behavior of spacetime and the movement of objects within it. It can affect the paths of particles, the shape of black holes, and the overall structure of the universe.

5. How is Weyl curvature measured and calculated?

Weyl curvature is typically measured and calculated using mathematical equations and tools from differential geometry and tensor analysis. It can also be inferred from observations of the behavior of objects in a given spacetime.