Grad school question - GPA, deadlines, etc LOTS OF FUN STUFF

In summary: This will definitely be a positive point for you in the applications process.In summary, the conversation is about applying to grad school and the impact of past grades on the application process. The speaker shares their experience of switching majors and improving grades, and asks about the relevance of the last 60 hours of coursework. They also ask for advice on when to apply and mention their lack of research experience but potential for strong recommendations.
FrogPad
Grad school question - GPA, deadlines, etc... LOTS OF FUN STUFF!

I have one year left of school. Soon, I will be applying to grad school. My first ~1 year of school I did not do very well. I was at that time a Computer Science student, and I really just hated my classes, the math, physics, etc... Something changed, and I soon found that I loved the few engineering classes that I took. I switched majors to EE, and my grades have done well ever since.

However, some of those CompSci classes share requirements of the EE department. Since I did horrible as a CS student, those classes still follow me in the EE department :( They haunt me !

As it is, I currently have a 3.17 cumulative GPA. If I only look at the last ~60 hours (not exactly 60 as it includes the semester (a bad one) that allows for >=60 hours to be taken), then I have a 3.41 GPA. If I go back the last 55 hours (this takes away the one bad semester) I have a 3.67 GPA.

Is it typically the case that graduate schools ONLY factor the last 60 hours into what they consider the GPA? The school I currently go to does this (a state school). I was relieved to see this, but would love if someone could further clarify on what this means.

Also, when should I apply to grad school for Fall 2008? A lot of schools I am looking at have a rolling deadline. I would imagine the sooner I get it in the better. Here is my dilemma though.

If I can wait it out one more semester (i.e. take Fall 2007 courses), this would give me one more semester to get my grades up. This would also effectively bump away that one bad semester I mentioned. If I just assume that grad schools look at the last 60 hours, then this is what it breaks down to.

1) Apply BEFORE Fall 2007 semester is over. GPA (last 60 hours) -> 3.41 GPA
2) Apply AFTER Fall 2007 semester is over. GPA (last 60 hours) -> 3.67 + average of GPA for Fall 2007

Other notes:
- I have ZERO research experience :(
- I have a very demanding internship (not a big named company, but we deal with Boeing, Honeywell, and GE Aviation (formerly Smiths Aerospace) on a regular basis - it is an outsource company)
- I could definitely get some recommendations from at least two professors who know me decently (I know them better than just getting an A in their class)

Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
FrogPad said:
Is it typically the case that graduate schools ONLY factor the last 60 hours into what they consider the GPA? The school I currently go to does this (a state school). I was relieved to see this, but would love if someone could further clarify on what this means.

This is usually the case, but you should definitely discuss your bad semester, and highlight to them the points you made to us.

I understand the pressure and stress that comes with applying to graduate school. It is important to remember that GPA is just one aspect of your application and it is not the only factor that graduate schools consider. Your switch to EE and improvement in grades shows your dedication and passion for the field, which is equally important to graduate schools.

In terms of GPA, it is common for graduate schools to look at the last 60 hours of coursework, but they may also consider your overall cumulative GPA and any upward trend in your grades. It is always best to check with the specific schools you are interested in to see how they evaluate GPAs.

As for deadlines, it is generally recommended to apply as early as possible to increase your chances of acceptance and to have more time to prepare for the program. However, if you feel that waiting one more semester will significantly improve your GPA and overall application, it may be worth considering. Just make sure to check the specific deadlines for each school you are interested in.

In terms of your lack of research experience, try to gain some experience before applying to graduate school. This can be through internships, independent projects, or even volunteering in a research lab. This will not only strengthen your application, but also give you a better idea of what research in your field entails.

Lastly, make sure to carefully choose your recommendation letters and ask professors who know you well and can speak to your abilities and potential for success in graduate school. Overall, it is important to have a well-rounded application that showcases your strengths and potential as a graduate student. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What is a good GPA for grad school?

A good GPA for grad school is typically considered to be a 3.0 or higher. However, this can vary depending on the specific program and institution you are applying to. Some programs may have higher GPA requirements, while others may take into consideration other factors such as research experience or letters of recommendation.

2. When should I start applying for grad school?

The application deadlines for grad school can vary, but it is generally recommended to start the application process at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, prepare for entrance exams, and gather all necessary materials such as transcripts, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

3. How important is my GRE score for grad school admissions?

The importance of your GRE score will depend on the specific program and institution you are applying to. Some programs may place a strong emphasis on GRE scores, while others may consider other factors such as GPA, research experience, and personal statements. It is important to research the specific program to determine how much weight is given to GRE scores.

4. Can I still get into grad school if my GPA is below the minimum requirement?

It is possible to still get into grad school with a GPA below the minimum requirement, but it may be more difficult. In this case, it is important to highlight other strengths in your application, such as relevant research experience, strong letters of recommendation, or a high GRE score. Some programs also offer conditional acceptance for students with lower GPAs.

5. Can I apply for grad school if I have been out of school for a few years?

Yes, you can still apply for grad school if you have been out of school for a few years. In fact, many graduate programs value students with real-world experience. Just be sure to highlight any relevant experience in your application and explain why you are now pursuing a graduate degree. You may also need to provide more recent letters of recommendation from employers or supervisors instead of professors.