What is the Accuracy of Airflow Measurements Using Multiple Devices?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Accuracy
In summary, the conversation discusses two methods for measuring airflow in an air conditioning system. The first method involves using a pito-static tube array and differential pressure gauge to measure the whole system airflow at once, with an accuracy of 2%. The second method involves measuring the airflow at each control device and adding up the numbers, which can potentially yield a higher accuracy. The accuracy of this method is calculated by taking the square root of the number of measurements times the accuracy of each individual measurement.
russ_watters
Mentor
I ran into an issue on a project where I'm needing to be sure of the accuracy of airflow measurements being taken. There are two basic ways to measure the airflow of an air conditioning system:

1. First is to traverse the main supply duct with a pito-static tube array and a differential pressure gage and measure the whole system airflow at once. These measurements have an accuracy of 2% with a 95% confidence factor. This is a typical rated accuracy for such sensors/gauges.

2. Second is to measure the airflow at each airflow control device, which has a very similar piece of equipment (a pito-static array with a pressure transducer) permanently installed - and add-up the numbers. The accuracy of each device is then about the same as in #1. For this example, I have somewhere around 100 of these devices. What is the accuracy of this airflow measurement?

It seems to me that method #2 should yield an accuracy far better than of 2%, but I'm not sure and I don't know how to calculate the accuracy. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
If your measurement errors at each pressure transducer is independent of the error at the other transducers, then the total relative variance will be 100 times smaller and the accuracy (confidence interval) thus sqrt(100) = 10 times smaller (= 0.2% accuracy with 95% confidence)

winterfors said:
If your measurement errors at each pressure transducer is independent of the error at the other transducers,
It is.
...then the total relative variance will be 100 times smaller and the accuracy (confidence interval) thus sqrt(100) = 10 times smaller (= 0.2% accuracy with 95% confidence)
Ok, simple enough: so the accuracy is just the square root of the number of measurements times the accuracy of each individual measurement (assuming they are all of the same accuracy).

Thanks very much.

What is multiple-measurement accuracy?

Multiple-measurement accuracy refers to the ability of a scientific measurement to be consistently and reliably replicated, even when the measurement is taken multiple times.

Why is multiple-measurement accuracy important in scientific research?

Multiple-measurement accuracy is important because it allows scientists to have confidence in their results and conclusions. By ensuring that measurements can be replicated, scientists can be more confident that their findings are accurate and not just due to chance or error.

How is multiple-measurement accuracy evaluated?

Multiple-measurement accuracy is evaluated by calculating the standard deviation of multiple measurements. A smaller standard deviation indicates a higher level of accuracy.

What factors can affect multiple-measurement accuracy?

There are several factors that can affect multiple-measurement accuracy, such as the precision of the measuring instrument, the skill and consistency of the researcher taking the measurements, and external factors such as environmental conditions.

How can scientists improve multiple-measurement accuracy?

Scientists can improve multiple-measurement accuracy by using precise and calibrated measuring instruments, following standardized protocols for taking measurements, and taking multiple measurements to account for variability. Additionally, conducting experiments in controlled environments can also help improve accuracy.