Hi guys, i was studying on transformers losses, i in some

In summary, The conversation is about studying transformer losses and a question is raised about why the open-circuit test only shows excitation losses and not i2R losses. The response is that the open-circuit test only measures the magnetizing current, which is typically small for a quality transformer. The person also mentions that if the text does not state the magnetizing current is negligible, it may be an error by the author. They point out that this is not always the case and the magnetizing current can be significant in some cases.
aaqeel123
hi guys, i was studying on transformers losses, i need help in some problems.

why open-circuit test show only excitation losses and not i2R losses..

thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org

What reference are you referring to that seems to ignore copper losses?

think about that for a moment

what is magnitude of current in open circuit test?

just magnetizing current 'cause there's no load on transformer...
which for a quality transformer should be small (though not zero)
and when you express it as a fraction of rated current and square that it gets even smaller

so if your text did not state that the magnetizing current is small enough to ignore then it was an error of omission by the author,

and it is not always the case that magnetizing current is negligible...

What are transformers losses?

Transformers losses refer to the energy that is lost during the process of transforming electrical energy from one voltage level to another. This loss is due to various factors such as resistance, hysteresis, and eddy currents.

What are the different types of transformers losses?

The two main types of transformers losses are copper losses and iron losses. Copper losses occur due to the resistance of the transformer's windings, while iron losses occur due to hysteresis and eddy currents in the transformer's core.

How do transformers losses affect efficiency?

The losses in transformers can significantly impact their efficiency. Higher losses mean that more energy is being wasted, resulting in lower efficiency. Therefore, minimizing losses is essential for improving the efficiency of transformers.

How can transformers losses be reduced?

Transformers losses can be reduced through various methods such as using high-quality materials with low resistivity, improving the design of the transformer to reduce hysteresis and eddy currents, and implementing proper maintenance practices to prevent losses due to aging or damage.

Why is studying transformers losses important?

Studying transformers losses is crucial for understanding and improving the efficiency of electrical systems. By understanding the factors that contribute to losses, scientists and engineers can develop better designs and maintenance strategies to reduce losses and improve the overall performance of transformers.