Ball rotating on axle which is rotating itself

In summary: Then I don't know why they asked the angular momentum of the ball about point A.In summary, a ball of mass m is attached to an axle that is rotating with angular velocity ω. The linear momentum of the ball is 45kgm/s in a clockwise direction, and the angular momentum of the ball about point A is unknown due to the fact that A is not rotating. The reference point A is not relevant in this problem.
NathanLeduc1

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m is attached via a rod of length x to an axle that rotates with angular velocity ω. You can consider the ball to be a point mass.
m = 5 kg, x = 0.3 m, y = 0.4 m, ω= 30 rad/s

(a) What is the linear momentum (direction and magnitude) of the ball?
(b) What is the angular momentum (direction and magnitude) of the ball about point A?

I've included a diagram I made.The top ball has mass m = 5 kg and the bottom ball A is rotating with angular velocity ω. Hopefully that diagram makes sense...

Homework Equations

I = mr2
L=Iω
p=mv
v=rω

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) p=mv
v=rω=0.3m*30rad/s=9m/s
p=5kg*9m/s=45kgm/s clockwise
(b) L=Iω
L=mr2ω
This is where I am confused. It would be easy to calculate if A wasn't rotating but how do I . calculate the angular momentum of the ball about point A given the fact that A is rotating?

Attachments

• Mass rotating on rotating axle.JPG
    Mass rotating on rotating axle.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
NathanLeduc1 said:

Homework Statement

A ball of mass m is attached via a rod of length x to an axle that rotates with angular velocity ω. You can consider the ball to be a point mass.
m = 5 kg, x = 0.3 m, y = 0.4 m, ω= 30 rad/s

(a) What is the linear momentum (direction and magnitude) of the ball?
(b) What is the angular momentum (direction and magnitude) of the ball about point A?

I've included a diagram I made.The top ball has mass m = 5 kg and the bottom ball A is rotating with angular velocity ω. Hopefully that diagram makes sense...

Homework Equations

I = mr2
L=Iω
p=mv
v=rω

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) p=mv
v=rω=0.3m*30rad/s=9m/s
p=5kg*9m/s=45kgm/s clockwise
(b) L=Iω
L=mr2ω
This is where I am confused. It would be easy to calculate if A wasn't rotating but how do I . calculate the angular momentum of the ball about point A given the fact that A is rotating?
As I read this problem, there is only one ball. No ball at point A.

attachment.php?attachmentid=58379&d=1367386096.jpg

Ah, you again. Thanks for the help! :)

I wish I could show you the diagram on my paper... it demonstrates the problem a lot better. The axle itself is rotating with angular velocity ω. There might not necessarily be a ball at the end of the axle but the point at the end of the axle is labeled A.

NathanLeduc1 said:
Ah, you again. Thanks for the help! :)

I wish I could show you the diagram on my paper... it demonstrates the problem a lot better. The axle itself is rotating with angular velocity ω. There might not necessarily be a ball at the end of the axle but the point at the end of the axle is labeled A.
Do this mean you still haven't solved the problem ?

A is just a point in space taken as a reference. The axle rotates about there, but points don't have rotation.

1. How does a ball rotating on an axle which is rotating itself work?

The ball rotating on an axle which is rotating itself works due to the principles of angular momentum and torque. The rotation of the axle creates a torque on the ball, causing it to rotate around the axle. At the same time, the rotation of the axle itself creates an additional torque on the ball, causing it to rotate around its own axis.

2. What factors affect the speed of the rotation for a ball on an axle?

The speed of rotation for a ball on an axle is affected by several factors, including the angular velocity of the axle, the mass and size of the ball, and the friction between the ball and the axle. The more torque that is applied to the ball, the faster it will rotate.

3. Can the direction of rotation for the ball and axle be changed?

Yes, the direction of rotation for the ball and axle can be changed by altering the direction of the torque applied. For example, if the torque is applied in a clockwise direction, the ball and axle will rotate clockwise. If the torque is applied in a counterclockwise direction, the rotation will be counterclockwise.

4. What happens if the axle is rotating at the same speed as the ball?

If the axle is rotating at the same speed as the ball, the ball will appear to be stationary. This is because the forces of rotation are canceling each other out. However, if the axle continues to rotate at the same speed while the ball is spinning, the ball will eventually start rotating again due to friction and other external forces.

5. Are there any real-world applications for a ball rotating on an axle which is rotating itself?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for this phenomenon. One example is in gyroscopes, which use the principles of a rotating ball on an axle to maintain stability and orientation. Another application is in mechanical systems, where this type of rotation can be used to transfer energy or power between different components.