Intro QM: Add a constant to the Potential, Effect on Wave Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Griffiths QM text where a constant potential energy, Vo, is added to a particle's potential energy and how it adds a time-dependent phase factor, e^{-iV_ot/\hbar}. The solution involves substituting the wave function with the added constant potential, \Psi(x,t) = \psi(x,t)e^{-iV_0t/\hbar}, into the Schrodinger equation and showing that it reduces to the original equation with the added potential. After some notational errors, the correct solution is found and it is concluded that it is indeed a solution of the Schrodinger equation with the added potential.
dotman
Hi, I've got a problem with the following problem. This is 1.8 out of Griffiths QM text, and was previously covered on this forum for another user in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=152775", although that thread doesn't address my problem.

1. Suppose a constant potential energy,Vo, independent of x and t is added to a particle's potential energy. Show that this adds a time-dependent phase factor, [tex] e^{-iV_ot/\hbar}[/tex].

My attempt at the solution was, as stated in the other thread, to sub in [tex] \psi(x,t) e^{-iV_0 t/\hbar} [/tex] and see if that solves the schrodinger eqn with the constant potential V0 added in:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\Psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\Psi[/tex]

[tex]\psi=\psi e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}-\frac{iV_{0}}{\hbar}\psi e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial x}e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}=\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]i\hbar\left[\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}-\frac{iV_{0}}{\hbar}\psi e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}\right]=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}+V\psi e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow i\hbar\left[-\frac{iV_{0}}{\hbar}\psi e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}\right]+i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}+V\psi e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow i\hbar\left[-\frac{iV_{0}}{\hbar}\psi\right]+i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}+V\psi[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow-\frac{i^{2}V_{0}\hbar}{\hbar}\psi+i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}+V\psi[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow V_{0}\psi+i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}+V\psi[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}+V\psi-V_{0}\psi[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}+\left(V-V_{0}\right)\psi[/tex]

But we're supposed to have added the constant potential in, so it should look like:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}+\left(V+V_{0}\right)\psi[/tex]

Have I made a mistake somewhere? Am I doing this wrong? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dotman said:
[tex]\psi=\psi e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/tex]

Ermm.. isn't this kind of like saying [itex]2=2e^{-iV_{0}t/\hbar}[/itex]?...Use two different variables to differentiate the wave function with the added constant potential from the wave function without the added constant potential (I'd recommend using [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] and [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex] respectively)...

What is the Schroedinger equation for [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex]? What is the Schroedinger equation for [itex]\psi(x,t)[/itex]?

Ok, well, yeah, that's bad notation. But notational issues aside, though, I don't see how this changes my result.

"Normal" Schrodinger equation:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\psi}{dx^2} + V\psi[/tex]

Schrodinger equation with the added potential factor:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\Psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\Psi[/tex]

where [itex]\Psi=\psi e^{-iV_0t/\hbar}[/itex]

And using the partial derivatives [itex]\frac{\partial\Psi}{\partial t}[/itex], etc, of this, the rest of my result is the same:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\Psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} + V(x)\Psi \Rightarrow i\hbar\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}=\frac{-\hbar^{2}}{2m}\frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial x^{2}}+\left(V-V_{0}\right)\psi
[/tex]

What am I missing?

Oh wait, I see it now.

That second eqn should be:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\Psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} + (V+V_0)\Psi
[/tex]

And so it reduces to the original equation, thus showing that it is, in fact a solution of the Schrodinger equation with the added potential.

Look right?

dotman said:
Oh wait, I see it now.

That second eqn should be:

[tex]i\hbar\frac{d\Psi}{dt} = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} + (V+V_0)\Psi
[/tex]

And so it reduces to the original equation, thus showing that it is, in fact a solution of the Schrodinger equation with the added potential.

Look right?

Yup, exactly!:smile:

Thanks for the help gabba!

1. What is the purpose of adding a constant to the potential in quantum mechanics?

Adding a constant to the potential in quantum mechanics is known as a shift in energy. This shift does not change the underlying physics or dynamics of the system, but it can simplify calculations and make the results easier to interpret.

2. How does adding a constant to the potential affect the wave function?

The addition of a constant to the potential has no effect on the shape or form of the wave function. However, it does shift the energy levels of the system, which can change the probability of finding the particle at a certain position.

3. Can adding a constant to the potential change the behavior of a quantum system?

No, adding a constant to the potential does not change the fundamental behavior of a quantum system. The principles of quantum mechanics still apply, and the wave function will still evolve over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

4. Is there a limit to how much a constant can be added to the potential in quantum mechanics?

There is no limit to how much a constant can be added to the potential in quantum mechanics. However, in practical applications, the constant is usually chosen to be small enough so that the energy levels and wave function behavior can be easily interpreted and understood.

5. Are there any real-world examples where adding a constant to the potential is useful in quantum mechanics?

Yes, adding a constant to the potential is commonly used in the study of atomic and molecular systems. It can also be applied in the field of solid-state physics to analyze the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice. In both cases, the constant helps simplify the mathematical calculations and provides a clearer understanding of the system's energy levels and wave function behavior.