I am having trouble with a Capacitor problem I can't find the find formula for.

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of charge on each plate of a capacitor with 1mm distance between the two plates and an electric field of 100 N/C. The measured capacitance is 5 uF and the appropriate equation to use is Q = CV. However, the person asking the question is unable to find the equation and has spent hours searching for it. They are feeling frustrated and unable to continue.
jjj0922

Homework Statement

The two metal plates of a capacitor are separated by a distance of 1mm. The electric field between the two plates is measured to be 100 N/C. If the capacitance is measured to be 5 uF, what is the magnitude of the charge on each plate, in Coulombs?

Homework Equations

That's my problem as I can't find the appropriate equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Spent hours searching for the equation and now I'm too frustrated to continue.

Physics news on Phys.org
jjj0922 said:

Homework Statement

The two metal plates of a capacitor are separated by a distance of 1mm. The electric field between the two plates is measured to be 100 N/C. If the capacitance is measured to be 5 uF, what is the magnitude of the charge on each plate, in Coulombs?

Homework Equations

That's my problem as I can't find the appropriate equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Spent hours searching for the equation and now I'm too frustrated to continue.

Welcome to the PF.

Well, what equations do you have that are related to capacitance? I'm at home and my EE books are at work, but it seems that you don't know the area of the cap so you can't work with the Q=CV equation directly at first. Can you convert that electric field into V/m units instead? That would give you the cap voltage, and knowing the measured capacitance would give you the Q value...

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It is made of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, called a dielectric.

2. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a capacitor?

The formula for calculating capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance in farads (F), Q is the charge in coulombs (C), and V is the voltage in volts (V).

3. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an electrical circuit?

Capacitors are used in electrical circuits to store and release electrical energy, filter out unwanted signals, and regulate voltage levels. They are commonly used in electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and smartphones.

4. How do I solve a capacitor problem in a circuit?

To solve a capacitor problem in a circuit, you need to use the relevant formula (such as the one mentioned in question 2) and substitute the given values. It is also important to understand the properties and behavior of capacitors in different types of circuits.

5. What are some common issues that can arise with capacitors?

Some common issues with capacitors include failure due to overheating or aging, leakage of charge, and unexpected behavior in circuits. It is important to check for these issues and replace faulty capacitors to ensure the proper functioning of electronic devices.