Surface gravity as a function of luminosity?

In summary, the conversation discusses how surface gravity varies as a function of luminosity along the main sequence. The equation g=\frac{4 \pi G M T^4 \sigma _{\text{SB}}}{L} is used to derive this relationship, but it is noted that this may be an oversimplified view as all other terms in the equation may not remain constant. The dependence on temperature may also have a strong impact on the relationship.
Mr. Bond
I've been using these forums for awhile but this is my first post. So thanks in advance for taking the time to consider this problem. It is much appreciated.

The question is: How does surface gravity vary as a function of luminosity along the main sequence?

By surface gravity, I'm sure the question is asking for [itex]g=\frac{G M}{R^2}[/itex]. Knowing that luminosity is [itex]L=4 \pi R^2\sigma _{\text{SB}} T^4[/itex]. I've solved for R in the luminosity equation and obtained [itex]g=\frac{4 \pi G M T^4 \sigma _{\text{SB}}}{L}[/itex], but I'm pretty sure the problem is supposed to be harder than this. It's obvious (according to this relationship that's probably wrong) that if luminosity increases, then the surface gravity becomes weaker. So am I looking at this problem too simplistically?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You are assuming all the other terms in the expression for g as a function of L remain constant. I am not a student of this subject, but that appears to be a very strong assumption.

All of them are constants except for L and possibly T. I'm pretty sure M is a constant because surface gravity is the gravity of the total mass.

There is no such thing as surface gravity. Gravity is always calculated based on the center of mass.

Mr. Bond said:
All of them are constants except for L and possibly T. I'm pretty sure M is a constant because surface gravity is the gravity of the total mass.

I suspect that the dependence on T is quite strong, weakening your original assertion.

1. What is surface gravity and how is it related to luminosity?

Surface gravity is a measure of the strength of gravity at the surface of a celestial body, such as a star. It is typically measured in units of acceleration (m/s^2). Luminosity, on the other hand, is a measure of the total amount of energy emitted by a celestial body, such as a star. The two are related because a star's surface gravity is determined by its mass, and a star's luminosity is determined by its mass and energy production.

2. How does surface gravity change as luminosity increases?

As luminosity increases, surface gravity typically decreases. This is because as a star's energy production increases, the outward pressure from radiation increases, counteracting the inward pull of gravity. This results in a lower surface gravity.

3. Is there a relationship between the luminosity and surface gravity of different types of stars?

Yes, there is a general trend between a star's luminosity and surface gravity. For example, higher mass stars (such as O and B type stars) have higher luminosities and lower surface gravity compared to lower mass stars (such as K and M type stars). This relationship is due to the different energy production processes and evolutionary stages of different types of stars.

4. How does surface gravity affect the habitability of a planet or moon?

Surface gravity plays a crucial role in the habitability of a planet or moon. If the surface gravity is too low, the atmosphere may escape into space, making it difficult for life to exist. On the other hand, if the surface gravity is too high, it can lead to a thick and inhospitable atmosphere. The ideal surface gravity for habitability is around 0.8 to 1.5 times that of Earth's.

5. Can surface gravity be calculated from luminosity alone?

No, surface gravity cannot be calculated from luminosity alone. Other factors such as the size and composition of a star also play a role in determining its surface gravity. However, luminosity is an important factor in determining a star's mass, which is a primary factor in determining its surface gravity.