What is the Representation of \omega^\omega in a Visual Form?

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a representation of \omega^\omega as a spiral and the confusion surrounding its countability. It is clarified that the set of all ordinals below \omega^\omega is uncountable, but the image appears to be made up of countable sets. The conversation also touches on the difference between ordinal and cardinal exponentiation and the fact that people often confuse the two. It is noted that ordinals become uncountable at epsilon_0, a concept that is considered to be unintuitive by some.
Dragonfall
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Omega-exp-omega.svg

It says it's a representation of [tex]\omega^\omega[/tex]. But I really think the picture is countable. In fact, it looks like [tex]2\omega[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would really like to know under exactly what rule the image was generated before answering for sure. Is there anyone who speaks French and can give us a translation of the Description underneath? :P

Looks like [itex]\omega^\omega[/itex] to me, which is countable.

[itex]\omega^\omega[/itex] is order isomorphic to NxN, where you compare the first element first and then the second. Hopefully you know that NxN is countable.

No. [tex]\omega * \omega[/tex] is countable. [tex]\omega^\omega[/tex] is NOT. Think about it, [tex]2^{\aleph_0}=2^\omega\leq\omega^\omega[/tex].

The French is pretty easy:

C++ program included in the XML source. The spiral represents all ordinals less than [itex]\omega^\omega.[/itex] The first turn of the spiral represents the finite ordinals, that is, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. The second turn of the spiral represents the ordinals of the form
[tex]\omega\cdot m+n:\omega,\omega+1,\omega+2,\ldots,\omega\cdot2,\omega\cdot2+1,\omega\cdot2+2,\ldots,\omega\cdot3,\omega\cdot3+1,\ldots,\omega\cdot4,\ldots.[/tex]
The third turn represents the ordinals of the form [itex]\omega^2\cdot m+\omega\cdot n+p[/itex] and the others are likewise; all the turns representing the powers of omega.​

Certainly, the ordinals below [itex]\omega^\omega[/itex] are countable. This construction makes that clear: a finite number of integers suffice to detail any such number.

The set of all the ordinals below [tex]\omega^\omega[/tex] is [tex]\omega^\omega[/tex], which is uncountable. So this image should be "uncountable". But it appears to be, since it's made of countable union of countable sets.

Dragonfall said:
The set of all the ordinals below [tex]\omega^\omega[/tex] is [tex]\omega^\omega[/tex], which is uncountable. So this image should be "uncountable". But it appears to be, since it's made of countable union of countable sets.

I can biject all ordinals of the form [itex]\omega^n\cdot a_n+\omega^{n-1}\cdot a_{n-1}+\cdots+\omega\cdot a_1+a_0[/itex] with the natural numbers. Just consider the height [itex]n+\sum a_i[/itex] of an ordinal below [itex]\omega^\omega[/itex] and list the ordinals of height 0, the ordinals of height 1, the ordinals of height 2, and so on. There are only finitely many ordinals at each height, and each ordinal below [itex]\omega^\omega[/itex] has a finite height.

Alternately, by http://www.c2i.ntu.edu.sg/AI+CI/Humor/AI_Jokes/InvalidProofTechniques.html: Give one ordinal below [itex]\omega^\omega[/itex] not on my list!

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad. I was confusing ordinal exponentiation with cardinal exponentiation.

Dragonfall said:
I was confusing ordinal exponentiation with cardinal exponentiation.

I've always found that bizarre.

The fact that people confuse the two? I just wasn't paying attention.

Dragonfall said:
The fact that people confuse the two? I just wasn't paying attention.

No, just that the two are so different even though both are 'natural' extensions of the finite concept.

The confusion rises from the fact that [tex]\omega = \aleph_0[/tex], so you'd naturally expect that [tex]2^\omega = 2^{\aleph_0}[/tex].

But the operators are overloaded, so the "^" in "2^omega" is different from the "^" in "2^{aleph_0}". Yes, I get that. I just find it curious that the two function so differently. Ordinals aren't uncountable until epsilon_0, right? That's a whole lot of exponentiation...

Yes, it is curious how the notions of "order" and "size" diverge so dramatically past finite numbers.

If I recall correctly you find cardinals more intuitive than ordinals. That's very odd! No offense:P

1. What does "this" refer to in the question "Does this look right to you?"

The word "this" in this question is typically referring to something visual, such as an image, design, or physical object.

2. Why is it important to ask someone if something looks right?

Asking someone if something looks right can provide valuable feedback and help catch any mistakes or inconsistencies that may have been overlooked. It also allows for different perspectives and can improve the overall quality of the project.

3. How can I determine if something looks right on my own?

One way to determine if something looks right is to step away from it for a few minutes and then come back to it with fresh eyes. You can also compare it to similar examples or ask for feedback from colleagues or friends.

4. What factors can affect whether something looks right or not?

Several factors can affect whether something looks right, including color, proportion, balance, and alignment. Other factors such as personal preferences and cultural backgrounds can also play a role.

5. Is "looking right" a subjective or objective concept?

The concept of something looking right can be both subjective and objective. While there may be certain design principles and guidelines that can objectively determine if something looks right, personal opinions and cultural influences can also play a role in how something is perceived.