A question about the fundamentality of magnetism

• Thread starter mpatryluk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetism
In summary, the movement of electrons creates a magnetic field. Special relativity is important in that respect.
mpatryluk
I'm sorry if I may be asking an unanswerable question here, but I've looked all through the forums and the internet to find a satisfying answer to why moving electric charges create a magnetic field.

I'm not trying to ask why electrical attraction/repulsion exists, as I take that as a fundamental force. But i am wondering which specific mechanics cause the relative motion of a flow of electrons to create an attractive or repulsive force on objects we deem magnetic.

I guess my main question is:
What is it about the movement aspect that is so special?

When electrons are flowing through a copper wire, the net charge on the wire is still neutral at any given point, isn't it? So does the electron movement somehow create a temporary net charge because of the fact that the individual electrons and their static fields are changing position relative to the magnetic object? Or does magnetism have nothing to do with positive/negative net charge?As a note i thought of after: Photons are the force carriers for electromagnetism, right? So magnetism must be caused by some difference in how the photons affect a target when the electron that emits them is moving?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not trying to ask why electrical attraction/repulsion exists, as I take that as a fundamental force.
The (more) fundamental interaction is the electromagnetic interaction. We do not know why the electromagnetic interaction exists, that is just an experimental result. The magnetic fields of moving charges are a direct result of that. Special relativity is very important in that respect.
Photons are the force carriers for electromagnetism, right?
In quantum field theory, with virtual photons, yes.
So magnetism must be caused by some difference in how the photons affect a target when the electron that emits them is moving?
You are mixing virtual and real photons here.

When electrons are flowing through a copper wire, the net charge on the wire is still neutral at any given point, isn't it?
Right.
So does the electron movement somehow create a temporary net charge because of the fact that the individual electrons and their static fields are changing position relative to the magnetic object?
That is a very good question, and the answer is: it depends. It depends on your reference frame, and special relativity is necessary to see this in detail.
Or does magnetism have nothing to do with positive/negative net charge?
You do not need net charges for magnetic fields.

Likes 1 person
mfb said:
The (more) fundamental interaction is the electromagnetic interaction. We do not know why the electromagnetic interaction exists, that is just an experimental result. The magnetic fields of moving charges are a direct result of that. Special relativity is very important in that respect.
In quantum field theory, with virtual photons, yes.
You are mixing virtual and real photons here.

Right.
That is a very good question, and the answer is: it depends. It depends on your reference frame, and special relativity is necessary to see this in detail.
You do not need net charges for magnetic fields.

You've helped ease my mind quite a bit on the subject. I'm the kind of person who can't delve into a subject unless i understand the "why", and it helps to know that it's more of a fundamental occurrence than something with a simple explanation i was missing. Thanks alot, now i can progress!

1. What is magnetism and how does it work?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that results from the interaction between charged particles, specifically electrons. Electrons have a property called spin, which is responsible for their magnetic field. When these particles are aligned in the same direction, they create a magnetic field. This field can attract or repel other magnetic objects.

2. Is magnetism a fundamental force?

Yes, magnetism is considered one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force. It is responsible for many important natural processes, such as the Earth's magnetic field and the behavior of particles in the universe.

3. Can magnetism be explained by other fundamental forces?

No, magnetism is a unique force that cannot be explained solely by other fundamental forces. While it is related to the electromagnetic force, it has its own distinct properties and behaviors. Additionally, magnetism can exist without the presence of other fundamental forces.

4. Can magnetism be created or destroyed?

Magnetism cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be induced or changed in strength. This is because magnetism is an intrinsic property of electrons and other charged particles. However, the strength and direction of a magnetic field can be altered by external factors, such as temperature, electrical current, or other magnetic fields.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnetism?

Magnetism has a wide range of applications in our everyday lives. Some common examples include electric motors, generators, MRI machines, credit cards, and compasses. Magnetism is also used in energy production, transportation, and data storage technology, among many other fields.