How does one pick an undergrad thesis and phd subject?

In summary, when choosing a thesis subject for one's last undergraduate year, it's important to consider one's interests and potential for future PhD studies. It's recommended to choose from a provided list of final year projects rather than coming up with one's own idea, and to contact potential advisors for recommendations. It's also helpful to consider the availability of funding and transferability of skills to non-academic environments. When figuring out the funding of a field or subfield, it's best to consult with the university's secretary for a list of available projects.
Lavabug
How do people generally go about choosing a subject to do thesis on in one's last undergraduate year (ie: year long thesis project)?

Should one be picking the desired field for a phd subject as an undergrad or is it okay to "make a mistake" and apply for something different at grad school?

What criteria should people have when choosing a subject, things like future prospects/availability of funding for post-doc work or transferability of skills to non-academic environments (ie: programming/numerical methods)?

Next year I'll be doing my final year of undergrad at a UK institution as an exchange student, and I need to pick an undergrad project/thesis subject. I have something in mind but I'm afraid of biting off more than I can chew for just an undergrad project. Should I contact potential advisers before going to get some sort of recommended reading list for the summer? Or should I wait til arriving in order to meet the advisers first and make the decision then (to avoid an unsavory relationship if I pick one that isn't to my liking)?

My interests, if it helps any: theory/computation in astrophysics, something along the lines of fluid dynamics and/or solar physics. My programming skills are very elementary as of now but I'm making good progress in my numerical methods course this year (scilab/matlab-based).

Physics news on Phys.org
Lavabug said:
Should one be picking the desired field for a phd subject as an undergrad or is it okay to "make a mistake" and apply for something different at grad school?

If you already have something in mind for a PhD I would try to go with that area, but it doesn't matter too much - if you have a good reason for going for something else...

Lavabug said:
What criteria should people have when choosing a subject, things like future prospects/availability of funding for post-doc work or transferability of skills to non-academic environments (ie: programming/numerical methods)?

Yes.

Lavabug said:
Next year I'll be doing my final year of undergrad at a UK institution as an exchange student, and I need to pick an undergrad project/thesis subject. I have something in mind but I'm afraid of biting off more than I can chew for just an undergrad project.

It's common to provide lists of final year projects in the UK, e.g:

http://www.ph.surrey.ac.uk/intranet/fy_projects?supervisor=&dept=Physics&type=Expt&group=&degree=&course=

If at all possible, I think you should do a set project rather than dream something up for yourself, because (a) the lecturer should have made it 'bite size' (b) the lecturer will be really interested in a project he sets (c) you avoid making a 'really big mistake' - like choosing a zany topic through inexperience... you can do that when you have experience and tenure :)

If it's not on the web site, ask for such a list from the secretary of the department (Don't email the lecturers for one! You don't want a reputation for bothering them with trivia...)

Lavabug said:
Should I contact potential advisers before going to get some sort of recommended reading list for the summer? Or should I wait til arriving in order to meet the advisers first and make the decision then (to avoid an unsavory relationship if I pick one that isn't to my liking)?

If you are *seriously* interested in a project, or two, after reading the list, you might send out a short email enquiry.

Last edited by a moderator:
mal4mac said:
Yes.
How does one figure out if a field or subfield is better funded than another?
mal4mac said:
It's common to provide lists of final year projects in the UK, e.g:

http://www.ph.surrey.ac.uk/intranet/fy_projects?supervisor=&dept=Physics&type=Expt&group=&degree=&course=

If at all possible, I think you should do a set project rather than dream something up for yourself, because (a) the lecturer should have made it 'bite size' (b) the lecturer will be really interested in a project he sets (c) you avoid making a 'really big mistake' - like choosing a zany topic through inexperience... you can do that when you have experience and tenure :)

If it's not on the web site, ask for such a list from the secretary of the department (Don't email the lecturers for one! You don't want a reputation for bothering them with trivia...)

If you are *seriously* interested in a project, or two, after reading the list, you might send out a short email enquiry.

My exchange university doesn't have a complete or up-to-date list of the subjects available, only HEP subjects which I would feel inclined for, but don't think would be a good idea as I won't be able to take a course in HEP as an undergrad.

Many thanks for the advice, I'll have to ask my uni secretary for a list, I wouldn't have thought asking lecturers directly was a bad idea!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate thesis and PhD subject?

There are several factors to consider when choosing an undergraduate thesis and PhD subject. These include your interests, career goals, available resources at your university, current research trends, and potential advisors. It's important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and that aligns with your long-term goals. You should also consider the availability of resources, such as funding and equipment, at your university to support your research. Additionally, staying updated on current research trends and finding a knowledgeable and supportive advisor can greatly enhance your research experience.

2. Should I choose a topic that is closely related to my undergraduate major?

While it can be beneficial to choose a topic that aligns with your undergraduate major, it is not always necessary. Many students pursue topics that are outside of their major and find success in their research. It's important to choose a topic that interests you and that you feel confident in pursuing, regardless of its relationship to your major.

3. How can I ensure that my undergraduate thesis and PhD subject will be original and contribute to the field?

To ensure that your research is original and contributes to the field, it's important to do thorough background research. This includes reading relevant literature and familiarizing yourself with current research in your chosen subject area. You can also discuss your ideas with your advisor and other experts in the field to ensure that your research will add new knowledge and insights.

4. Is it better to choose a narrow or broad topic for my undergraduate thesis and PhD subject?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your chosen subject area, research goals, and available resources. In some cases, a narrow topic may allow for more in-depth research and a better understanding of a specific aspect of a subject. However, a broad topic may allow for a broader impact and potential for interdisciplinary research. It's important to discuss your options with your advisor and consider what will best align with your research goals.

5. Can I change my undergraduate thesis and PhD subject if I lose interest or encounter difficulties?

It is possible to change your undergraduate thesis and PhD subject, but it's important to carefully consider the reasons for the change. Losing interest or facing difficulties are common challenges in research, but it's important to work through these challenges with the support of your advisor and colleagues. However, if your research is no longer aligned with your interests or long-term goals, it may be appropriate to consider a change. It's important to discuss any potential changes with your advisor and make a well-informed decision.