Register to reply

Exponential function differentiation

by cooper607
Tags: differentiation, exponential, function
Share this thread:
cooper607
Jul7-12, 08:37 AM
P: 49
if first derivative is the slop of the given functions, then what is the physical meaning of exponential function remaining the same function after differentiation??

does it mean its vertical tangency make it indifferentiable?
plz clarify me the concept...

regards
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Millennial
Jul7-12, 10:40 AM
P: 295
It means that the curve of the exponential function has the same instantaneous rate of change at a given point as its value.
HallsofIvy
Jul7-12, 01:49 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
I'm afraid you will have to tell us what you mean by the "physical meaning" of a mathematics statement.

SteveL27
Jul7-12, 02:50 PM
P: 800
Exponential function differentiation

Quote Quote by cooper607 View Post
if first derivative is the slop of the given functions, then what is the physical meaning of exponential function remaining the same function after differentiation??
It means that the rate of change at a given point is the same as the value of the function at that point. So, what does this mean physically? Suppose I have a population of things that reproduce -- people on earth, bacteria in a dish, whatever. Since they're reproducing like crazy, the number of new individuals in any given interval of time is proportional to how many individuals there already are. If there are lots of individuals, then there will be lots of new individuals made.

That's why the exponential function is intimately involved in the growth of populations.

Same thing with compound interest. The amount of interest you get is proportional to how much money you already have. And the formula for compound interest does in fact turn out to be an exponential function.

That's the physical meaning. The amount of growth (the derivative) is proportional to the amount of stuff that's already there.
cooper607
Jul8-12, 09:26 AM
wow! thanks a lot...now i got my answer..
regards
cooper607
Jul8-12, 09:26 AM
wow! thanks a lot...now i got my answer..
regards

Register to reply