On Laplace transform of derivative

psie
TL;DR Summary
I'm reading Ordinary Differential Equations by Adkins and Davidson. In it, they prove a theorem on the Laplace transform of the derivative of a function. I do not understand a part of the proof.
The following three results are used in the proof of the theorem I have a question about.

Lemma 2. Suppose ##f## is of exponential type of order ##a##. Let ##s>a##, then $$\lim_{t\to\infty}f(t)e^{-st}=0.$$

Proposition 3. Let ##f## be a continuous function of exponential type of order ##a##. Then the Laplace transform ##F(s)=\mathcal{L}\{f(t)\}(s)## exists for all ##s>a## and, moreover, ##\lim_{s\to\infty}F(s)=0##.

Lemma 4. Suppose ##f## is a continuous function defined on ##[0,\infty)## of exponential type of order ##a\geq 0##. Then any antiderivative of ##f## is also of exponential type and has order ##a## if ##a>0##.

Now follows the theorem and its proof I have a question about.

Theorem 6. Suppose ##f(t)## is a differentiable function on ##[0,\infty)## whose derivative ##f'(t)## is continuous and of exponential type of order ##a\geq 0##. Then $$\mathcal{L}\{f'(t)\}(s)=s\mathcal{L}\{f(t)\}(s)-f(0),\quad s>a.$$

Proof. By Lemma 4, ##f(t)## is of exponential type. By Proposition 3, both ##f(t)## and ##f'(t)## have Laplace transforms. Using integration by parts [...], we get \begin{align} \mathcal{L}\{f'(t)\}(s)&=\int_0^\infty e^{-st} f'(t) dt \nonumber \\ &=e^{-st}f(t)\rvert_0^\infty-\int_0^\infty -se^{-st}f(t)dt \nonumber \\ &=-f(0)+s\int_0^\infty e^{-st} f(t)dt=s\mathcal{L}\{f(t)\}(s)-f(0).\nonumber\end{align}

I do not understand why ##e^{-st}f(t)\rvert_0^\infty=-f(0)##. By Lemma 2, this is only possible if ##f## is of exponential type of order ##a## and by assumption we only know that ##f'(t)## is of exponential type of order ##a\geq 0##. If ##f'(t)## is of order ##a>0##, then yes, by Proposition 3, ##f(t)## will also be of order ##a##. However, what about the case ##a=0##? Which order does ##f(t)## then have? How is the theorem modified in regards to the condition ##s>a##? (if say ##f'(t)## is of order ##a## and ##f(t)## is of order ##b##, then we need ##s>b##, right?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me sort this out. For ##a=0## we get that ##f' ## is constant and ##f## is linear. Then ##\left.e^{-st}f(t)\right|_0^\infty =0=-f(0)## as long as ##s>0=a.## In any other case, we get
\begin{align*}
\operatorname{ord} f' \geq a > 0\quad&\text{by assumption of theorem 6}\\
\operatorname{ord} f' = \bar{a} \geq a > 0 \quad&\text{my setting}\\
\operatorname{ord} f > \bar{a}\geq a > 0 \quad&\text{lemma 4}\\
\lim_{t \to \infty}e^{-st}f(t) =0 \;\forall \;s >\operatorname{ord} f > a\quad&\text{lemma 2}\\
\left.e^{-st}f(t)\right|_0^\infty =0-e^0f(0)=-f(0)
\end{align*}

Likes psie
Thank you. I apologize for not having stated their definition of exponential type of order ##a##, but it reads $$|f(t)|\leq Ke^{at},$$ for the domain ##[0,\infty)## and some constant ##K##. Then,
fresh_42 said:
For ##a=0## we get that ##f' ## is constant and ##f## is linear.
But ##\sin{t}## is of exponential type of order ##a=0##, since its absolute value is bounded by ##K=1##. I guess all we can conclude from ##a=0## is that ##f'(t)## is bounded.

Anyway, ##e^{-st}f(t)\rvert_0^\infty =-f(0)## still holds for ##s>0=a## I would say, although it is a bit strange not really knowing how the function ##f(t)## behaves in the limit as ##t\to\infty##.

Last edited:
psie said:
Anyway, ##e^{-st}f(t)\rvert_0^\infty =-f(0)## still holds for ##s>0=a## I would say, although it is a bit strange not really knowing how the function ##f(t)## behaves in the limit as ##t\to\infty##.
The idea is that the behavior of ##e^{st}## dominates every factor that is less "explosive". And with negative powers, it eliminates them faster.

We do not actually need linearity. If ##|f(t)|<Ke^{0\cdot t}=K## then ##[e^{-st}f(t)]_0^\infty = 0- e^0\cdot f(0)=-f(0).##

Last edited:
Likes psie
Hmm, ok. I'm probably not seeing something you are, but to summarize;

We know ##f'(t)## is of exponential type of order ##a=0##. We know that ##f(t)## is also of exponential type, but we don't know which order, it could be say ##1##. Then the derivative formula in theorem 6 does not hold for ##s>a=0##, but rather ##s>1## (because the limit ##\lim_{t\to\infty}f(t)e^{-st}## blows up for, e.g., ##s=1/2##).

If this observation is correct, then I feel like this is an important detail missing in the text, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something obvious.

psie said:
However, what about the case ##a=0##? Which order does ##f(t)## then have?

If [itex]f'[/itex] is of order 0, then [itex]|f'(t)| < K[/itex] on [itex][0,\infty)[/itex]. But then, for [itex]t \geq 0[/itex], [tex]\begin{split}
|f(t)| &= \left|f(0) + \int_0^t f'(x)\,dx\right| \\
&\leq |f(0)| + \int_0^t |f'(x)|\,dx \\
&\leq |f(0)| + Kt \\
&\leq (|f(0)| + K)e^{at} \end{split}[/tex] is of order [itex]a > 0[/itex].

Likes psie
The order does not change in case it is positive according to Lemma 4. That leaves us with ##\operatorname{ord}f' =0## which means that ##|f'(x)|<K.## We want to see why
$$
\left. e^{-st}f(t)\right|_0^\infty =-f(0) \Longleftrightarrow \lim_{t \to \infty}e^{-st}f(t)=0
$$
for ##s>0.## We get from the calculation in the previous post #6 by @pasmith that ##|f(t)|<|f(0)|+Kt.## Thus
$$
\left|e^{-st}f(t)\right| \leq \left|e^{-st}\right|\cdot |f(0)|+K \left|e^{-st}t\right| \stackrel{t\to \infty }{\longrightarrow }0 \text{ for any }s>0
$$

Likes psie
Thank you both, means a lot. I have to ask, @pasmith, how did you obtain that last inequality, i.e. $$|f(0)| + Kt\leq (|f(0)| + K)e^{at},$$ for ##a>0##?

psie said:
Thank you both, means a lot. I have to ask, @pasmith, how did you obtain that last inequality, i.e. $$|f(0)| + Kt\leq (|f(0)| + K)e^{at},$$ for ##a>0##?
This is only true for large values of ##t##, but we are only interested in large values of ##t##.

Likes psie
Doesn't just the fact that ##K>0## and ##e^{at}>1## for ##a,t>0## do it?

WWGD said:
Doesn't just the fact that ##K>0## and ##e^{at}>1## for ##a,t>0## do it?
Maybe you were suggesting the following:

We have that ##t<t+1\leq e^t## for all ##t\in\mathbb R##, where the second inequality follows from Bernoulli's inequality, i.e. $$1+t\leq \left(1+\frac{t}{n}\right)^n\to e^t,$$ as ##n\to\infty## and for ##t\geq -1## (for ##t<-1## the inequality holds trivially since ##e^t>0##). Of course, ##1\leq e^{Kt}## for ##K,t## non-negative. So in that case, $$|f(0)| + Kt\leq (|f(0)| + 1)e^{Kt}.$$

Likes WWGD
psie said:
Maybe you were suggesting the following:

We have that ##t<t+1\leq e^t## for all ##t\in\mathbb R##, where the second inequality follows from Bernoulli's inequality, i.e. $$1+t\leq \left(1+\frac{t}{n}\right)^n\to e^t,$$ as ##n\to\infty## and for ##t\geq -1## (for ##t<-1## the inequality holds trivially since ##e^t>0##). Of course, ##1\leq e^{Kt}## for ##K,t## non-negative. So in that Herr.
Edit: Please ignore.
psie said:
$$|f(0)| + Kt\leq (|f(0)| + 1)e^{Kt}.$$
Yes, pretty much this.
Edit: Please ignore.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Yes, pretty much this.
But the ##a## makes the difference. The values of ##t## have first to outrun the smallness of ##a=\varepsilon >0.##

fresh_42 said:
But the ##a## makes the difference. The values of ##t## have first to outrun the smallness of ##a=\varepsilon >0.##
I didn't see anywhere where a approached 0. Maybe I misread. Edit: Since ## t \rightarrow \infty##, why not just select ## t > 1/a##?

WWGD said:
I didn't see anywhere where a approached 0. Maybe I misread.
It does not 'approach' zero. The second half of the discussion was basically all about whether ##a## close to zero (as in ##a>0##) is possible, or if ##a>1## has to be assumed. I thought your post was about whether ##t<e^{at}## may be assumed or not since this was the question in the posts before yours.

fresh_42 said:
It does not 'approach' zero. The second half of the discussion was basically all about whether ##a## close to zero (as in ##a>0##) is possible, or if ##a>1## has to be assumed. I thought your post was about whether ##t<e^{at}## may be assumed or not since this was the question in the posts before yours.
Ah, my bad, I'll just bow out of this one. I will just quickly edit my first post here.

WWGD said:
Ah, my bad, I'll just bow out of this one. I will just quickly edit my first post here.
Don't. I guess that I am totally confused by now. Too many threads within this thread. At least I convinced myself that the book has no error, although case ##a=0## seems a bit academic to me.

I possibly made my life easier by just demanding ##a>0## if I were the author. Are there examples for
$$
\mathcal{L}\{f'(t)\}(s)=s\mathcal{L}\{f(t)\}(s)-f(0),\quad s>0
$$
where ##f'## is only continuous and bounded?

fresh_42 said:

[itex]a > 1[/itex] is required, I think.

But to answer the OP's original question, we need [itex]\lim_{t \to \infty} e^{-st}f(t) = 0[/itex] for some [itex]s >0[/itex] in order for [itex]f[/itex] to have a Laplace transform.

1. How do you calculate the Laplace transform of a derivative?

To calculate the Laplace transform of a derivative, you can use the formula: L{f'(t)} = sF(s) - f(0), where L{} denotes the Laplace transform, f'(t) is the derivative of the function f(t), F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(t), s is the Laplace transform variable, and f(0) is the initial value of the function.

2. What is the significance of the Laplace transform of a derivative?

The Laplace transform of a derivative is significant in solving differential equations because it allows us to transform a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is often easier to solve. It helps in simplifying the analysis of systems with complex dynamics.

3. Can you derive the Laplace transform of a derivative from first principles?

Yes, the Laplace transform of a derivative can be derived from first principles using integration by parts and the definition of the Laplace transform. By applying these techniques, you can show that the Laplace transform of a derivative follows the formula L{f'(t)} = sF(s) - f(0).

4. How does the Laplace transform of a derivative affect the frequency domain representation of a function?

The Laplace transform of a derivative introduces a multiplication by the Laplace transform variable s in the frequency domain representation of a function. This multiplication by s affects the frequency response of the system and can reveal insights into the behavior of the system under different conditions.

5. Are there any specific conditions or constraints for the Laplace transform of a derivative to be valid?

Yes, there are certain conditions or constraints for the Laplace transform of a derivative to be valid. The function f(t) must be of exponential order, meaning that it does not grow faster than an exponential function as t approaches infinity. Additionally, f(t) must be piecewise continuous on every finite interval.