Register to reply

Steel Soap bars: magnetic core, solid?

by rovot
Tags: bars, core, magnetic, soap, steel
Share this thread:
rovot
Apr27-14, 07:38 PM
P: 10
I bought a Stainless Steel soap bar and it works, it just does. It was from China and hollow inside and I would like to know if that's either a cost cutting measure or how the bar works? What would happen if it were solid?

Another thing would be if it had a magnetic core, or made from a metal that reacted to magnets a lot more so than Stainless Steel already is. How would this affect the perceived working of the device please?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists unlock nature of high-temperature superconductivity
Serial time-encoded amplified microscopy for ultrafast imaging based on multi-wavelength laser
Measuring the smallest magnets: Physicists measured magnetic interactions between single electrons
dauto
Apr27-14, 07:49 PM
Thanks
P: 1,948
I bet on cheapo cost cutting
rovot
Apr27-14, 07:58 PM
Well it all works on positive and negative charged ions and I was wondering if a hollow/solid core would change that, even more so if it were a different metal in the core i.e. magnetic friendly or how the ions might change if coming into contact with a magnetic field?

Actually, I have seen some of the bars that are not hollow. But they cost more.

rovot
Apr28-14, 10:46 PM
Steel Soap bars: magnetic core, solid?

Basically, I would like to create a version of bar myself in which it has a core that can react to a magnetic field in order to levitate it above a surface, that way it should remain cleaner as it will not come into contact with the germs.

So I wanted to know if the magnetic field, a different metal and a solid core would have an affect on the working of the bar itself?
Drakkith
Apr28-14, 10:51 PM
Mentor
P: 11,569
What's a soap bar in this context? Especially stainless steel ones.
davenn
Apr28-14, 11:58 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,499
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
What's a soap bar in this context? Especially stainless steel ones.
never heard of them either had to google it ....

https://www.google.com.au/#q=+Stainless+Steel+soap+bar+

never knew such a thing existed

cheers
Dave
Drakkith
Apr29-14, 12:53 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by rovot View Post
Well it all works on positive and negative charged ions and I was wondering if a hollow/solid core would change that, even more so if it were a different metal in the core i.e. magnetic friendly or how the ions might change if coming into contact with a magnetic field?
The magnetic field wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Basically, I would like to create a version of bar myself in which it has a core that can react to a magnetic field in order to levitate it above a surface, that way it should remain cleaner as it will not come into contact with the germs.
Levitating and object using solely magnetic fields is inherently unstable and requires electromagnets to work properly if my memory is correct.
rovot
Apr29-14, 07:21 AM
It can be done with pens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S49wCwt6gw
Drakkith
Apr29-14, 01:06 PM
Mentor
Read the description:

The pen is actually being pushed to the right, but the motion to the right is being prevented by the plastic barrier.

That's what I mean when I say that magnetic levitation is unstable. You either need a physical barrier to prevent the object from moving, or you need to constantly change the magnetic field using electromagnets.
rovot
Apr29-14, 09:25 PM
I could handle a little terminator, if tastefully done, but to get it off the ground is my main aim.

Register to reply