Extend Magnetic Field Density from magnetic object's surface?

In summary: The magnetic field only comes from the motion of the charges.Also could I take a ring magnet who's field density is concentrated most in the open center and have a copper coil pass through it in the center as opposed to having the magnet pass through the inside of a coil give me a greater EMF?This is actually something you can do. You can use a ring magnet and have the copper coil go through the center of the ring. The ring will create a much stronger EMF. And does a copper tube yield the same effect as a copper coil of a similar surface area?Yes, a copper tube will have the same effect.
Wesleyk89
I am new to the site I apologize If I am posting incorrectly or doing something wrong. I need help figuring out how to increase magnetic field density (gauss/tesla's) extending from a magnetic object's surface, most magnets magnetic density is all in the center. I need this in order to induce a greater electromotive force on a copper wire. would an object charged by way of friction (rabbit fur on glass rod) have a greater field density but lesser pull force than your standard magnet? also could I take a ring magnet who's field density is concentrated most in the open center and have a copper coil pass through it in the center as opposed to having the magnet pass through the inside of a coil give me a greater EMF? and lastly, can I somehow incorporate an iron core to increase the EMF? maybe have the wire wrapped around a hollow lead core then pass a magnet through its center? and does a copper tube yield the same effect as a copper coil of a similar surface area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, you can get much braking action between the copper and the permanent magnet, provided the copper is moving relative to the magnet. The copper does not become magnetized, but EMF's from the changing magnetic field that the copper sees cause eddy currents in the copper, and these eddy currents experience forces from the magnetic field of the magnet that slow the motion of the copper.:welcome:

Likes Sureshbaliyan
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Wesleyk89 said:
I need help figuring out how to increase magnetic field density (gauss/tesla's) extending from a magnetic object's surface,
The main way you can concentrate magnetic field lines is by being careful about containing them in a ferrous material (shielding, cores, etc.).

Your post is general enough and variable enough that I'm not able to offer much yet. Can you say more about the application? And maybe Upload a sketch of what you are trying to build? That would help a lot in focusing this discussion. Thanks very much.

Likes Charles Link
Wesleyk89 said:
I need help figuring out how to increase magnetic field density (gauss/tesla's) extending from a magnetic object's surface, most magnets magnetic density is all in the centre

get a stronger magnet ... rare Earth types

Wesleyk89 said:
would an object charged by way of friction (rabbit fur on glass rod) have a greater field density but lesser pull force than your standard magnet?

for something like that ... a static charge, there is only an electric field, ie. zero magnetic field

1. How does the magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface affect its strength?

The magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface is directly related to its strength. The higher the density, the stronger the magnetic field will be. This is because the density represents the concentration of magnetic field lines, which are responsible for the object's magnetic force.

2. Can the magnetic field density be extended beyond the surface of a magnetic object?

Yes, the magnetic field density can extend beyond the surface of a magnetic object. This is known as the magnetic field's "far field" and can be measured at a distance from the object. However, the density will decrease as you move further away from the surface.

3. How can we extend the magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface?

There are a few ways to extend the magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface. One way is to increase the strength of the magnetic object by adding more magnetic material. Another way is to shape the object into a specific design, such as a horseshoe magnet, to concentrate the magnetic field lines in a particular direction.

4. What factors can affect the extension of magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface?

The extension of magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnet, the shape and size of the object, and the distance from the object's surface. Additionally, external factors such as the presence of other magnetic objects or materials can also influence the extension of the magnetic field density.

5. How does the extension of magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface impact its applications?

The extension of magnetic field density from a magnetic object's surface is crucial for its applications. For example, in motors and generators, a strong and extended magnetic field density is necessary to produce the desired amount of electrical energy. In magnetic levitation, the extension of the magnetic field density is essential for creating a stable repulsive force between the magnet and the surface it is levitating on. Therefore, understanding and controlling the extension of magnetic field density is crucial for optimizing the performance of magnetic objects in various applications.