Early math education for college

In summary, you should study Calculus, Multivariable Calc, and Analysis if you want to go to college and be ready for your first year.
james5094
I plan to go the path of mathematics in college. I've always been an adept at solving problems and writing proofs.

I'm only 17 and doing self-study. I checked out from the university library the second volume of Calculus by Apostol and Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Rudin. These should be good for a few months of study, but am I going in the wrong direction as a freshman undergraduate? I'm still not sure what kind of maturity is expected of an undergraduate doing pure math.

So what should I study in preparation for my first year?

(I would have posted this in the sticky, but there are too many important and specific questions in there. I won't clutter.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
james5094 said:
I plan to go the path of mathematics in college. I've always been an adept at solving problems and writing proofs.

I'm only 17 and doing self-study. I checked out from the university library the second volume of Calculus by Apostol and Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Rudin. These should be good for a few months of study, but am I going in the wrong direction as a freshman undergraduate? I'm still not sure what kind of maturity is expected of an undergraduate doing pure math.

So what should I study in preparation for my first year?

(I would have posted this in the sticky, but there are too many important and specific questions in there. I won't clutter.)
As far as what is expected, it depends on where you are going to go to college. At the school I went to they don't really expect anything. You have to at least be ready to take pre-calculus. I myself only started college doing Multivariable Calc and didn't take Analysis until the begging of my second year. At somewhere like Caltech they expect you to be able to handle Apostol. So if you can handle Apostol and Rudin you are doing more than fine.

Of course if you want to stand out then what you are doing is great. However depending on where you go they might or might not let you get accelerated. You should find out how things work at the school you plan to go. At my school I was able to start with multivariable calc and finished my lower division classes my first year. I took analysis (2 quarters), complex analysis (undergraduate), differential geometry (2 quarters), linear algebra (upper division), topology all in my second year and that spring quarter I took my first graduate class, Graduate complex analysis. So even though I did not start as advanced and with as much maturity as you will I'm still doing fairly well (I'm in my third year right now) and because my school let me take a lot of classes at the same time my maturity level rose really fast.

II think at some schools they make you start with calculus your first year. They might waive that requirement if you can demonstrate that you have the mathematical maturity to go onto more advanced subjects, but this is what you need to find out about.

Just out of curiosity: where are you planning to go for college? Are you a senior in HS or a junior?

To answer your question, I'm looking at UGA and UT. I have friends in both areas, and I love both locations. I currently live in Athens, so UGA would be nearby, but Austin is nice too.

I'm in home school. I haven't had much formal math instruction.

james5094 said:
To answer your question, I'm looking at UGA and UT. I have friends in both areas, and I love both locations. I currently live in Athens, so UGA would be nearby, but Austin is nice too.

I'm in home school. I haven't had much formal math instruction.
Well, like I said before if you can handle Apostol and Rudin, that should be more than enough.

In my opinion the best preparation is to go in with the mindset of wanting to learn math. Work hard and doing good in you classes should follow. Plus if you are good at proofs, then you should have no problem.

Really most schools don't expect you to be that advanced, but if you are then that's great for you.

Well, this is just me, so let's see what other people think.

Last edited:

1. What is early math education for college?

Early math education for college refers to the foundational mathematical concepts and skills that students need to learn in order to be successful in higher level math courses in college. This can include topics such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and statistics.

2. Why is early math education important for college?

Early math education is important for college because it builds a strong foundation for more advanced math concepts. Students who have a solid understanding of early math will have an easier time grasping complex math concepts in college and will be more successful in their math courses.

3. At what age should children start learning math for college?

The age at which children should start learning math for college can vary, but typically it is recommended to start introducing math concepts in early childhood, around 3-5 years old. This can be done through play-based activities and games that make learning math fun and engaging.

4. What are some effective strategies for teaching early math for college?

There are many effective strategies for teaching early math for college, such as using hands-on activities and manipulatives, incorporating real-world examples, and providing opportunities for problem-solving and critical thinking. It is also important to make math relevant and meaningful for students by connecting it to their interests and experiences.

5. Can early math education impact a student's future success in college?

Yes, early math education can have a significant impact on a student's future success in college. A strong foundation in math can lead to better grades in math courses, increased confidence and motivation, and improved problem-solving skills. It can also open up opportunities for students to pursue degrees and careers in STEM fields.