Genetics/ Probability Problems

In summary, a family with four children will have a probability of having at least one boy of equal to the probability of having a girl. For problem c, a hint is to look at all the possible combinations and find the one without writing them all out.
Intr3pid
Hi,

I'm just stuck on a few questions. Can anyone offer me some assistance?

a) In families with four children, what proportion of the families will have at least one boy?

b) In families with two girls and one boy, what fraction of the families will have the boy as the second child?

c) In family with four children, what fraction of the families will have the gender order male-female-female-male?

I know these questions deal with probability and numbers but I don't know where to begin.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The only real genetics aspect to this question is to understand this: every time a child is born, it's a fifty-fifty chance whether or not you'll get a boy or a girl, depending on which sex chromosome they get from their father. That means the probability of having a boy is equal to the probability of getting a girl, like a coin toss. So you can treat these problems as though they were coin tosses, using standard probability; the number of desired outcomes over the number of total possible outcomes. So for example with the first question, in a family with four kids, just figure out how many different combinations of boys and girls you can have; BBBB, BBBG, etc. Out of all the possible choices, how many have at least one boy? The rest should be pretty easy from there.

Ok, I managed to to parts a and b. Can anyone give me a hint on how to do problem c?

thankx

it's rather like a and b combined. you have four children, but now all your possible outcomes include not only BBBB, BBBG, etc, but also the different orders each of those can come in.

for part C, how do I find all the possible combinations without writing them all out?

writing them out in this case isn't too painful, because there's not a huge amount; but I would check out this page:

http://www.chem.qmul.ac.uk/software/download/qmc/ch5.pdf

for an explanation of permutations and combinations, which deal with probability and order. (I was never very good at that stuff, which is why I'm sending you to an outside source. =p)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Genetics/ Probability Problems

1. What is the difference between genotype and phenotype?

Genotype refers to the genetic makeup of an organism, including all the genes inherited from its parents. Phenotype refers to the observable characteristics of an organism, which are influenced by both genetic and environmental factors.

2. How do you calculate the probability of inheriting a specific trait?

The probability of inheriting a specific trait is determined by the laws of probability and genetics. It depends on the genetic makeup of the parents and the inheritance pattern of the trait. Punnett squares and pedigree analysis are commonly used to calculate the probability of inheriting a trait.

3. Can genetic testing accurately predict the likelihood of developing a certain disease?

Genetic testing can provide information about the presence or absence of certain genetic mutations that may increase the risk of developing a disease. However, it cannot predict with certainty whether an individual will develop a disease, as other factors such as lifestyle and environmental factors also play a role.

4. What is the difference between dominant and recessive traits?

Dominant traits are those that are expressed even if an individual only inherits one copy of the gene. Recessive traits are only expressed if an individual inherits two copies of the gene, one from each parent. Inheritance patterns can vary, and some traits may be incompletely dominant or have multiple alleles.

5. How do mutations affect genetics and inheritance?

Mutations are changes in DNA that can occur spontaneously or be caused by environmental factors. They can affect genetics and inheritance by altering the genetic code and potentially resulting in changes to an organism's phenotype. Some mutations may be harmful, while others may have no effect or even provide a beneficial advantage.