Will graduate admission committees consider my retaken classes for grad school?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, when retaking classes to replace a failing grade, most schools will only disclose the grade obtained the second time around and may note on the transcript that it was a repeat. It is important to check with your school's registrar to see how they handle retaken grades. Some schools may not count the first grade into the GPA and only consider the retake grade, while others may have both grades on the transcript but only calculate the higher one in the GPA. Each school may have a different policy, so it is best to inquire about it.
Benzoate
but you decide to retake those classes to replace the failing grade. you decide you want to attend graduate school.t will graduate admission committees take only the grade that replaced the failing grade into account or will the graduate committees count both the failing grade and the grade that replaced the failig grade

Physics news on Phys.org
Nearly all schools disclose only the grade you got the second time around, though some do note on the transcript that it was a repeat. You should check with your school's registrar to see how they handle it.

- Warren

chroot said:
Nearly all schools disclose only the grade you got the second time around, though some do note on the transcript that it was a repeat. You should check with your school's registrar to see how they handle it.

- Warren

what do you mean disclose? They do not acknowledge the grade you got the second time around?

I mean most schools generally will not tell anyone what you got the first time; they will only print the grade from the second time.

- Warren

chroot said:
I mean most schools generally will not tell anyone what you got the first time; they will only print the grade from the second time.

- Warren

Ive heard of schools not counting the first grade into the gpa and only counting the retake grade, but if not always are both grades on the transcript.

At my undergrad school, both grades showed up on the transcript, but only the higher grade was counted in calcuating GPA.

...in case you're wondering how I know, I have two words: organic chemistry.

You'll probably have to look into it. At my school there's a note on my transcript that I retook a class but my mark doesn't count towards my GPA. Other schools are different.

1. Will graduate admission committees take into account my retaken classes for grad school?

Yes, graduate admission committees will consider retaken classes when reviewing your application for grad school. However, the weight given to these classes may vary depending on the specific program and university.

2. Can I retake classes for grad school if I received a low grade?

Yes, you can retake classes for grad school if you received a low grade. Retaking classes can demonstrate your commitment to improving your academic performance and can potentially improve your chances of being admitted to grad school.

3. Will my retaken classes be averaged with my original grades for grad school admissions?

It depends on the university and program you are applying to. Some universities may only consider your most recent grade, while others may average both grades. It's important to check with the specific program to determine their policies.

4. Do I need to provide an explanation for retaking classes in my grad school application?

This also depends on the university and program. Some may require an explanation for retaking classes, especially if there is a significant gap in time between the original class and the retaken class. It's best to check with the program for their specific requirements.

5. How will retaken classes affect my GPA for grad school admissions?

Again, this will vary depending on the university and program. Some may only consider your most recent grade, while others may average both grades. It's important to check with the specific program to determine how retaken classes will affect your GPA for grad school admissions.