Field loss in a shunt wound dc motor

In summary, a shunt wound dc motor can run away in a field loss event because the armature's magnetic field has nothing to push/pull against when power is removed from the field winding. This causes the armature current to increase and the speed to increase until it breaks or the generated torque reaches the load torque. Due to hysteresis in the core, the magnetic field never reaches zero, causing the motor to continue to run even without applied voltage. The base speed of a shunt motor is determined by the balance between the high resistance field winding and the armature winding, as well as the residual magnetism in the core. With the shunt field open, the residual magnetism is not enough to oppose the powerful magnetic
david90
In a field loss event, why does a shunt wound dc motor run away? From my understand of electric motor, the armature spins because it's magnetic field pushes/pulls against the field winding's magnetic field. If I remove power to the field winding, then shouldn't the motor slows down because the armature's magnetic field has nothing to pushes/pulls against? Isn't like a permanent magnet motor running without the magnets?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In case the flux drops to "phi"_res the internal generated voltage dops with it.(EA=K *'phi'*w) And thus causes the armature current to increase, likewise the torque(K*'phi'*IA). And speed increases until it breakes or the generated torque reaches load torque.

Due to hysteresis inn the core the flux("magnetic field") never reaches zero ("phi"_res), if the applied voltage is removed.

SirAskalot said:
In case the flux drops to "phi"_res the internal generated voltage dops with it.(EA=K *'phi'*w) And thus causes the armature current to increase, likewise the torque(K*'phi'*IA). And speed increases until it breakes or the generated torque reaches load torque.

Due to hysteresis inn the core the flux("magnetic field") never reaches zero ("phi"_res), if the applied voltage is removed.

Very good!,I enjoy from this conceptual Question and wonderful answer.

--------------------------------
Creative thinking is breezy, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

m.s.j said:
Very good!,I enjoy from this conceptual Question and wonderful answer.

--------------------------------
Creative thinking is breezy, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

huh? I don't get it. Currently my understand of electric motor is very superficial so that's why I'm having a hard time understand your answer from a mathematical pov.

Its actually not that hard to understand, my explenation may be a little diffuse.

I don't know which notation you are used to, but;
- E_a is the internal generated voltage.
- K is contant
- "phi" (greek letter, not pi) donates the magnetic flux
- w (omega) is the rotational velocity

The steel core (ferromagnetic material) of the stator have a remanent magnetic field after the current in the coils are switched off. Look up hysteresis. The core thus becomes an permanent magnet which "drives" the rotor. But the flux is weak and the equations yields that the motor runs away.

o I see. In a shunt dc motor, what factors determine it's base speed?

You should think about in terms of how a shunt motor operates..

As you know a shunt motor has its field winding connected in parallel w/ the armature winding. It is a high resistance winding (about 10 ohms) and as such accepts a lower amount of the applied current.

The shunt winding does not saturate as quickly as a low resistance heavy gauge series winding.. as in a series motor. This results in good speed regulation from no load to full load, as well as good torque regulation although it is quite low (because not much current reaches the shunt, it has a high impedance).

However with the shunt field open, There exists only the residual magnetism (not really like a permanent magnet motor without magnets as you said..) This residual magnetism is not enough field strength to oppose the armature magnetic field, which now has all the applied current passing through it (now that the shunt is open).

w/ such a high application of current, we have a very powerful magnetic field w/ not enough opposition from the residual magnetic field to control it. The motors speed tends toward infinity as quick as it can until its housing cannot contain the force and it destroys itself.

From a mathematical standpoint.. the motor speed (N) equals to the ratio of motor constant times current applied minus current lost to field flux. N = K(I-VR) / phi .. as the field is opened and the flux collapses the armature current is becoming increasingly high, and as such the motor speed N is increasingly proportionally.

Hope I helped, K. Tucker

Last edited:

What is field loss in a shunt wound dc motor?

Field loss in a shunt wound dc motor refers to the loss of magnetic field strength in the motor's field winding, which can result in a decrease in motor performance and efficiency.

What causes field loss in a shunt wound dc motor?

Field loss in a shunt wound dc motor can be caused by a number of factors, including a break or short in the field winding, improper connections, or excessive current flowing through the winding.

What are the effects of field loss in a shunt wound dc motor?

The effects of field loss in a shunt wound dc motor can include a decrease in motor speed and torque, as well as an increase in power consumption and overheating. It can also cause the motor to run in the opposite direction or fail to start altogether.

How can field loss in a shunt wound dc motor be diagnosed?

Field loss can be diagnosed by conducting a visual inspection of the field winding for any signs of damage, as well as using a multimeter to measure the resistance of the winding. A decrease in resistance can indicate a break in the winding.

What are the possible solutions for field loss in a shunt wound dc motor?

The solution for field loss in a shunt wound dc motor will depend on the cause of the problem. In some cases, repairing or replacing the damaged winding may be necessary. Other solutions may include adjusting the field coil or changing the motor's operating conditions to prevent excessive current flow.