Starting My Physics BA (BS?), Need Some Advice

• Physics
  • Thread starter Astrum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is seeking advice about pursuing a career in the aerospace field. They have always been interested in science and math and are currently studying physics for flexibility in choosing a future MA or PhD. They are specifically interested in space tourism and the balance between desk and field work. However, they are unsure about employment opportunities and the best path to take. The expert suggests getting a degree in aerospace engineering for an easier path into the field and recommends researching schools with good relationships with aerospace companies for internships and networking opportunities.
Astrum
Greetings everyone. I'm on my way to getting a BA (or BS, I'm not sure what the difference is), and I'm in need of some advice. My whole life, I've always loved science and math. Now that I'm older, I now have to look into a future in this field.

I'm fascinated by space travel and aerospace in general, although as I've been reading, it seems like employment opportunities aren't very great in this field.

The reason I'm taking a physics undergrad, is because I want some flexibility for picking my MA (and perhaps PhD later on).

I've seen that there are some new companies in the field of "space tourism", this seems to be what I'm after, but it seems that these jobs would be hard to get, and also unstable.

The space tourism aerospace engineer is appealing to me, I really need a balance of desk/field work, sitting at a desk everyday would make me insane.

So, any advice?

I see that this is similar to the other post about aerospace engineering, although I didn't want to hijack his thread.

Physics news on Phys.org

The reason I'm taking a physics undergrad, is because I want some flexibility for picking my MA (and perhaps PhD later on).

What kind of "flexibility" do you think a physics degree really gets you? If you want to be an aerospace engineer you should probably do that.

fss said:
What kind of "flexibility" do you think a physics degree really gets you? If you want to be an aerospace engineer you should probably do that.

In terms of a branch of science. Aerospace, nuclear, astronomy, etc. I really love natural science, so I aassume that a physics degree would be a great base.

If you want to do aerospace engineering, just get a degree in that. It will make your life easier. A BS in Physics is not completely inappropriate for this field, but you will not study specific things that will make it easier to get a job in the field. If you get a BS in Physics, then feel like getting a Masters or PhD in aerospace, the first thing you will need to do is make up the deficiencies from the BSE in Aerospace before you can even start the graduate program.

As for employment opportunities, they are fine, but hotly contested. This field is really, really cool, so employers can pick the best candidates from a large pool of applicants. If you really want to do this, find out which school has a good relationship with companies in the field so you can get an internship and maybe network a bit with alumni.

First of all, congratulations on pursuing a degree in physics! It's a fascinating field that opens up many opportunities for further study and career paths. As for the difference between a BA and BS in physics, a BA typically focuses more on the theoretical aspects of physics while a BS includes more practical applications and laboratory work. It's ultimately up to you to decide which path aligns better with your interests and goals.

In terms of your interest in space travel and aerospace, it's important to keep in mind that the job market in this field can be competitive and may require additional education and experience. However, as you mentioned, there are emerging companies in the field of space tourism that could provide potential opportunities in the future.

My advice would be to continue exploring your interests and gaining experience through internships or research opportunities. This will not only give you a better understanding of the industry, but also make you a more competitive candidate for future job opportunities. Additionally, networking and staying up-to-date with industry developments can also be beneficial in finding potential job opportunities.

Ultimately, it's important to find a balance between your interests and practicality in terms of job stability. Consider exploring other areas of physics and aerospace as well to keep your options open. Best of luck on your journey in pursuing a career in this exciting field!

FAQ: Starting My Physics BA (BS?), Need Some Advice

1. What is the difference between a Physics BA and BS degree?

The main difference between a Physics BA and BS degree is the focus of the coursework. A BA degree typically includes a broader range of liberal arts and humanities classes, while a BS degree is more focused on science and math courses. Additionally, a BS degree may require more advanced and specialized classes in physics.

2. What skills are necessary to succeed in a Physics BA or BS program?

To succeed in a Physics BA or BS program, you will need strong analytical and mathematical skills. It is also important to have a strong understanding of scientific principles and the ability to think critically and problem solve. Additionally, good time management and study skills are crucial for success in a rigorous and demanding program like physics.

3. What career opportunities are available for someone with a Physics BA or BS degree?

A Physics BA or BS degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some common career paths for physics graduates include research and development, data analysis, engineering, teaching, and science communication. Many graduates also pursue further education, such as a master's or PhD, to advance their careers in specific fields.

4. Is it necessary to have prior experience in physics to pursue a BA or BS degree?

No, it is not necessary to have prior experience in physics to pursue a BA or BS degree. However, a strong foundation in math, particularly calculus and algebra, is important for success in physics courses. Many universities also offer introductory physics courses for students with little to no prior experience in the subject.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in a Physics BA or BS program?

Most universities have resources available to help students succeed in their physics programs. These may include tutoring services, study groups, and academic advisors. Additionally, many physics departments have research opportunities and internships available for students to gain hands-on experience and apply their knowledge in real-world settings.