What Degree Would Lead to a Good Prospective Salary?

• Thread starter sony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salary
In summary, the conversation discusses potential career paths for someone with an undergraduate degree in physics. Suggestions include pursuing a graduate degree in medical/health physics, CVD/PVD or other deposition research, semiconductor technology, or materials science. It is also mentioned that health physics can be a viable option without having to work in hospitals.
sony
I'm just wondering...

I'm going to start with an undergraduate in physics, from there I I'll pursue a graduate degree in something practical, something that's sought after in industry...

But what? I know it's not healthy to pick a degree because of the income. But I don't want to work my ass of in school, and spend the rest of my life worrying about personal budgets and such.

Any suggestions...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some suggestions I might offer include Medical/Health physics, any research being done in CVD/PVD or other deposition, and semiconductor technology. Any combination of the above is gravy.

I've heard of medical physics, only problem is that I can't stand hospitals.

Semiconductors and technology in general is something I think is interesting.

Btw, what is CVD/PVD?

Cheers

CHemical and physical vapor deposition. Maybe it would be better just to say materials science in general.

Maybe someone else can say, but i believe optics is always good too? Oh and you can have a long, happy career in health physics and almost never set foot in a hospital. I do share your opinion of those places :)

1. What degree would lead to the highest paying job?

Typically, degrees in the fields of medicine, engineering, and computer science lead to the highest paying jobs. However, it is important to note that salary potential also depends on factors such as location, industry, and experience.

2. Is a degree in business a good choice for a high paying job?

Yes, a degree in business can lead to a high paying job, especially if combined with a specialization in a particular area such as finance, marketing, or management. Many top-level executives and CEOs have a background in business.

3. What are the highest paying industries for degree holders?

The highest paying industries for degree holders vary depending on the specific field of study. For example, business and finance majors often find high paying jobs in industries such as investment banking, consulting, and technology. On the other hand, medical and healthcare professionals may earn top salaries in hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, and research institutions.

4. Do higher degrees lead to better paying jobs?

In general, yes, higher degrees can lead to better paying jobs. Most high-paying positions require at least a bachelor's degree, and many require advanced degrees such as a master's or doctorate. However, there are also high-paying jobs that do not necessarily require a higher degree, such as skilled trades or sales positions.

5. Are there any degrees that are not worth pursuing for a high salary?

It is difficult to say that any degree is not worth pursuing for a high salary, as many factors contribute to one's earning potential. However, some degrees may have a lower average salary compared to others, such as degrees in the arts or humanities. It is important to research the job market and demand for your chosen degree before making a decision.